SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I'm looking at the rear sway bar kit from elevate as it can be had for much cheaper then the IPD kit. My only concern is quality and support. I've seen some bars that have broken but it seems IPD bars can have this issue and the bushings don't last. Also, it seems people have had issues with elevate support in the past as well. Any suggestions?

Also. Seems the rear sway bar is harder to install compared to many other cars. Do you have to drop the rear shocks to get it in?

Thank you everyone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I run the elevate rear sway bar and have had no issues. One strut must be dropped to get the bar out and the new one in.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
536 Posts
The IPD sway kits are on super sale right now... I would call them up to get a price on just the rear. I just had mine break and went with IPD because of the warranty.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yea you can get a rear ipd bar on sake for 220 right now. I just purchased the front and rear track spec kit

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rear kit seems pretty high. I asked IPD about helping with the price compared to the elevate but they said they couldn't do anything for me.

·
Registered
536 Posts
that is the neutral balance bar, you might as well get a stock v70r bar since its the same 22mm diameter. I would call them to see how much the 25mm bar is by splitting up the front and rear kit.

S60R
Stock front 23.5mm / rear 20mm
ipd front 25mm / rear 25mm / neutral rear 22mm

V70R
Stock front 23.5mm / rear 22mm
ipd front 25mm / rear 28mm

·
Registered
148 Posts
Could the 28mm rear bar for the v70R fit on the s60R?

·
Registered
869 Posts
The IPD sway kits are on super sale right now... I would call them up to get a price on just the rear. I just had mine break and went with IPD because of the warranty.
Not to thread jack, but holy hell, that's a good price! Just picked up a front/rear kit.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Also. Seems the rear sway bar is harder to install compared to many other cars. Do you have to drop the rear shocks to get it in?
Look around in the how posts for sways bars for advise. My experience installing (in this case the IPD sways) was that removing the exhaust system (2 nuts/studs at the CAT, and then the rubber bands) is the way to go... Just undoing the rubber bands does not gibe you enough droop to get it easily above the exhaust.

As I was also installing the TME springs, had both shocks/springs out but also found (most likely do to the exhaust NOT having been removed) dropping the outer end of the lower control arm help.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I thought for some reason the rear only kit was 25mm. The elevate is 25mm as well. I emailed IPD but I'm sure it won't be close

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I run the elevate rear sway bar and have had no issues. One strut must be dropped to get the bar out and the new one in.

Not true, you can get the rear in and out without disconnecting the rear shock or taking apart the rear suspension. Takes a little finangling, but it can be done.

I also love my elevate bars, I have somewhere around 70K miles or more on mine and they are holding up well, and their bushings are too.

As a recent thread on here demonstrated, IPDs bars can break like any other, so the whole question about elevate bars snapping appears to be highly exaggerated.

·
Registered
536 Posts
that was my bar, if it does snap it will take awhile (7 years on mine, old style non painted ipd bar). one downside to the elevate bar is its a 3 year warranty vs a lifetime from IPD.

·
Registered
869 Posts
that was my bar, if it does snap it will take awhile (7 years on mine, old style non painted ipd bar). one downside to the elevate bar is its a 3 year warranty vs a lifetime from IPD.
Well, "lifetime" as we recently saw.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Not true, you can get the rear in and out without disconnecting the rear shock or taking apart the rear suspension. Takes a little finangling, but it can be done.

I also love my elevate bars, I have somewhere around 70K miles or more on mine and they are holding up well, and their bushings are too.

As a recent thread on here demonstrated, IPDs bars can break like any other, so the whole question about elevate bars snapping appears to be highly exaggerated.
Well I stand corrected. But I had the exhaust dropped and the only way I could see to get the rear out and in on the ground was to drop the strut so I did. It made the job very easy. I can have the rear strut out and back in within about 30 min.

·
Registered
869 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well, they're cheap enough, so I'll try them myself and report back.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well IPD is going to send me a quote so we shall see.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts