1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Interesting, surprised this wasn't compiled sooner actually. The fact that most of it is bolt on and only requires tracking down a few pieces to supply in a kit makes the overall package easy to offer.

I'm very worried about the price to be honest. U can turbo an NSX for 5k and I'm anticipating nearly double that for our cars...

·
Registered
915 Posts
I had a feeling this was coming!!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone offered this upgrade as a package, I'm gonna guess Elevates package will be in the 6K range, and that would not include a DP, exhaust or FMIC, a SMF, beefier clutch, suspension,brakes, etc. IMO all neccessary before a K16 swap. The nice part is, now the software from Autotech is pretty much spot on for the K16. Autotech is also finalizing revisions for cams and inlet plenum, but the car will run fine without those revisions, just better with them. I was waiting for a software upgrade before throwing in the ENEM cams I have, Peter said just "run it" and it's OK for cams to go in before the software revision is available. So next week they go in!
I, for one, am very glad to see Elevate do this, mostly because it will mean better software support for the K16. And they will come out with more bits and pcs. to support it, 2.5" hard piping and silicone couplers turbo to throttle body as a kit, oil coolers, etc.
Right now the K16 is kinda expensive, I would imagine the price will come down once more are in the pipeline.
Don is an active participant in C30 forum, he should do the same here also.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Cool. Now I wonder what turbos the focus rs ppl are upgrading to if at all

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Focus RS people are upgrading to a GT3076 turbo! Those crazy Brits! Puma speed in the UK also has an updated version of the K16 available they call the 450 RS. I had already considered breaking the bank to get this and called them to do so (includes all oil lines needed so no fabrication required) but my common sense got a hold of me and told me to take a week of vacation in DR instead! Needless to say, the cars with this turbo are ridiculously fast. Maybe next year I'll make it happen:)

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
wow. i see. one guy did that upgrade to his c30 and he tracks it too i think with the rica tune. he says there's some turbo lag with it at low rpms.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
^^^Thats to be expected, but also depends on what u are used to. We honestly have it on the easy side when it comes to turbo lag (or should I say what turbo lag) compared to most other tuners out there. From my previous turbo drag car this 2.5l engine can spin a ball bearing GT turbo like its nothing.

You drive within your power band and cater it to the sweet spot of ur turbo and that thing will never slow down. Eric and I will be doing a VIPEC system on my car allowing boost per gear, in house tuning, as well as choose any damn turbo I want muahhaha :p

Have to consider with e tune and all that other stuff sold separately you are looking at what Madden spent plus some for the finders fee. I predict the kit will be spendy... Starting the bidding at $7500. Because their lesser kit cost what nearly 5g's.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
i see. this kit is probably gonna be too much for me to spend on. i don't know if this would help me with auto x but i def know it will help at a real track.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I am completely in love with this thread.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
The EFR turbos from BW are the tits and likely the way of the future. K16 would be meh in comparison :p

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Question. (This might require its own thread)

Why does everyone seem to go after these kits that still have the damned turbo attached to the exhaust manifold. Is there no aftermarket manifold (or maybe R manifold) that would allow the use of "normal" turbos? Is this just as cost prohibitive (seems like it might be cheaper, especially with high power applications where turbos are likely to need replacement)?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Atp turbo cast manifold is the only one available for hybrid/GT housing turbos. I will likely have my own tubular made but to answer ur question yes cost wise the price of the ATP kit is slightly more now than the K16 direct bolt on with minimal funny business.

The design is flawed I agree but the turbo itself functions well with our engines. Normally I would say nay to the turbo-fold design but creates good power. I prefer the feel of a GT myself.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
When will We get our first Pictures ?

They do say it's all about - Volume at Lower Boost - to stay away from the Heat .
Especially in the area of 2 HP per cu. inch . ;)

I saw one strange Photo a few months ago - where a builder had taken some ( What looked like Liquid Metal )
Filled in all around the Cly Tops then Machined in the Water Flow Points . ( Guess He was Trying for a Cheap )
Darts Cly Inserts - set up . I never got any additional Info on it , anyone have any Detailed Photo's of these Dart Inserts ?

Here's a Picture of It - looks to be 5/8 inch Filled :
http://

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
This seems to be the Product : So Figuring Block machining , Dart Cly. Inserts plus Actually assembly of said - Darts into a Block = $2000.00 easily-Plus Shipping Fees & Dis-assembly
- Plus Re-assembly !

This Product might just be able to Stabilize the Cly. & Support at the Critical Area - as shown in the Photo . This would be more like =$200.00 Bucks + less time and Shipping Fees
still would might have some basic machining of Block to flatness & New Water Jacket Opening , so It would cost possibly $400-$500.00 .

It's a Theory , but based on good Info - in fact If done on a Flat - Non - Stick Surface ( Up side Down of Course ) a Good man with a Router could Finish it off - back to $200.00 Cost . :) Time .
http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?id=2

Now that said : I say this would be a 430 HP area , Not - 500-600 HP like You could go with the Darts .
I'm being Conservative on 430 HP .

Here's the Spec's :

Description: Ready-to-use aluminum filled repair and patching compound. Single component dent and body filler.

Color: Metal gray. Aluminum when buffed or sanded.

Adhesion: Excellent adhesion to clean, dry surfaces of metal (aluminum, steel, stainless, brass, bronze, cast iron, copper, lead...), wood, hard plastic, and glass. No heat needed; hardens upon exposure to air. Please note: Lab-metal will not bond two parts together; Lab-metal requires air in order to dry.

Hardness: 81 on Shore D scale

Coefficient of Linear Expansion: 15 x 10-6 inch/inch per ºF

Strength: Tensile: 650 lbs./square inch

Compressive: Approx. 20,000 psi

Water pressure: 50 psi

Specific gravity: 1.95 at 75ºF

Weight: One cubic inch: 31.2 grams or 1.10 oz.

Heat resistance: When dry and hard, withstands temperatures to 350ºF and is not affected by cold to -40ºF. Withstands higher temperatures (up to 425ºF) if heat exposure is less than 20 minutes. (For prolonged higher temperatures, Hi-Temp Lab-metal is available.)

Chemical Resistance: Not affected by mild acids, gasoline, petroleum, petroleum solvents, oil or L.P. gas. Alkalis will attack Lab-metal slowly, but only after extensive immersion.

Combustibility: Dry and hard material will not support combustion.

Conductivity: A non-conductor at normal voltage. Not considered an insulator. Accepts ground for powder coating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts