SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My latest project. I love the look of them, so I bought a couple and jumped on in! I used a new Dremel 4000 with the quick change 1 1/2 inch metal wheel to cut the openings. The left and right grilles are slightly different, so be careful if you buy both, since the packaging it comes in isn't labeled which is which (?) nor do the instructions give you any guidance on which way to put them. I don't have the AMS system, but decided to put it at the recommended location (12" rear from front of hood crease) in case I decide I want one. I taped the bottom frame down and traced the inside opening with a sharpie. I also marked the screw hole locations at the same time. I removed the frame and drilled out the screw holes first, then I freehand cut the top opening. I then opened the hood and used the screw holes in the bottom support structure to freehand cut the underside which is a little larger than the top opening, since you need access to the screw posts and room to get the mesh grille and bottom frame in to complete the "sandwich." To keep crud out of the engine compartment I placed a drop cloth between the hood and the engine. The Dremel worked pretty well, but get the multi-pack of metal cutting wheels since you'll need several. And yes, it's messy, and do use safety glasses, the way I had to hold the dremel caused my face to be the backstop.
I think I used about 3 wheels per side. The 34 piece kit I bought included the quick change mandrel and one wheel, so you just need to buy extra cutting wheels.
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-4...r=8-3
Now for photos:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (AthruC)

TY. BTW, these actually work. (duh!) I have a 40mi drive into work, I put my hand over the vent after I parked and could feel the hot air rolling out. I was perhaps a little more brave with the install, since I am planning on repainting the hood and figured any paint boo-boos would be covered later. You just have to keep a steady firm grip and go slowly. (that's what she said..
)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Wow nice work, I personally wouldn't have installed it myself but nice job

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Nice work, whats the story about driver side bumper, headlight area being soo saggy / not lined up

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (s140s)

Quote, originally posted by s140s »
Nice work, whats the story about driver side bumper, headlight area being soo saggy / not lined up

Yeah, I think it needs to come off and get lined up a little better. Bumper cover has taken a beating after nearly getting ripped off on parking blocks a few times. Droopy lip had been properly strapped up, but the under-body tray wasn't put back in after my Bell FMIC install (tray didn't fit well - needs some adjustment) and it was connected to that. Of course, before I could get the tray back in I snagged it again.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (Slvr S60R)

Quote, originally posted by Slvr S60R »
Did these vents ever come with a cover for the rain? My friend's S2000 J's Racing hood had covers for the vents and it's a pretty nice feature if you get a lot of rain/snow.

The covers are sold separately. Grilles are $90 ea. and covers are $30 ea. They fit into the grille opening and are held on by wing nuts underneath.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Re: (BlazinBob)

Quote, originally posted by BlazinBob »

The covers are sold separately. Grilles are $90 ea. and covers are $30 ea. They fit into the grille opening and are held on by wing nuts underneath.

Yeah, that's what I thought. If I keep my car past the summer I might consider doing this. Nice mod and kudos on the clean body work

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Re: (p0cket penguins)

Quote, originally posted by p0cket penguins »
kinda butchered the under skinning didn't ya.
Who cares. It's aluminum, no worries. It wasn't going to look pretty either way. I suppose some filing, filling and paint could make it look more factory.

Props for the install, I'd love to do this one day and I would definitely install them myself.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

Quote, originally posted by chinaonnitrous1 »
Anyone ever think about using this grilles on a flat surface?

I actually considered putting then in the middle of the hood, but figured since they were designed around the hood contours I would keep them there. Plus, I could use the left side for an AMS should I decide I wanted one.

Quote, originally posted by ClemsonS60R »
for the "underskinning" how about just getting the black "door trim" bumper protector stuff they sell at autozone. will give the ragged edge a smooth finished look and protect you from cutting yourself

That is a good idea. After I get the hood painted I will take a look at that.

edit: Here's a photo of my solution for the edges under the hood, I split some tubing and attached it to the edges with some silicone adhesive

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.