SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Looks nice, but does Don at Elevate still ignore emails, phone calls and leave Instagram direct messages about order statuses unanswered for weeks on end?
I am a brand ambassador for Elevate Cars and have assisted several owners who have contacted me for help, can I assist you with an issue? Send me a PM with the details.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Elevate Cars installed the manifold on my car for me, so I cannot share a personal experience installing it but if you look at it it is very straight forward unbolting of the OEM manifold and installation of the Elevate one. The titanium fasteners included with the kit are also quite nice. Performance wise, I can't say enough, there is nothing else like it. I have stated on many car forums that teaming this up with an aftermarket highflow downpipe is a marriage made in heaven. I would do these two mods before investing in any tunes, air intakes etc. I am running a OEM filter box with excellent results.

Stop it....u are gonna make me spend more money!! lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just ordered an Elevate T6 manifold a little over a week ago, it should arrive in a few days. I can't wait to get this bad Larry installed on my XC70! I'll post some pictures and first impression after I get it installed.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I just ordered an Elevate T6 manifold a little over a week ago, it should arrive in a few days. I can't wait to get this bad Larry installed on my XC70! I'll post some pictures and first impression after I get it installed.
Awesome! I love seeing people do builds on XC70s! Truth be told, I’ve been contemplating a do-over and would love to have my own S60 T6 mods on a more comfortable and bigger wagon. I see you haven’t posted much on Swedespeed but I hope you intend to be more active here!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Let us know the ease of installation, time and performance impressions. And maybe a few pictures of any "issues" during installation. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
A nice surprise, FedEx delivered it two days early so I got right to work installing it. The components arrived in a box with lots of padding and bubble wrap and a good set of installation instructions with lots of pictures. I'm pretty comfortable wrenching on vehicles and everything is right there on the front of the engine with easy access. I made one big mistake that others should avoid: from my experience working on bicycles, titanium bolts require a little bit of anti-seize compound. So I put a small amount of copper anti-seize compound on the threads of the bolts for the throttle body. Anti-seize compound also lubricates the threads, so you cannot get accurate torque specifications with your torque wrench. I was kind of wondering about that just as I snapped one of the bolts off. Shyt. Luckily there was enough of the broken bolt sticking out that I could unscrew it with a vice-grip and the manifold threads were not damaged. Then I had to get an Uber to the hardware store and get some replacement bolts. So don't use anti-seize compound on the bolts. The other problem I had was not that bad, it was just a real hassle to get the silicone inlet tubing all aligned and tightened up with the supplied hose clamps. I wrestled with the tubing more than I expected to but eventually I got it all together.

Not counting the trip to the hardware store it probably took me two hours, and that's because I went very slow and read the directions carefully and just took my time. To be honest I didn't use the torque wrench on the 7 main bolts holding the manifold on. The location of two of the lower bolts make it hard to get a torque wrench on them even with a universal joint adapter so I just tightened all the bolts incrementally in the recommended pattern until they felt reasonably tight. The original manifold bolts didn't seem that tight when I took them off, but it's plastic, so I used that as a reference for how tight to turn the bolts, maybe just slightly tighter than the plastic manifold.

I was really happy to see that the intake valves were very clean. My car has a little over 63,000 miles so I was expecting to see at least some carbon buildup on the valves, but there was essentially none. Just a very light brown film, but that's all. Nothing to be concerned about and I definitely wouldn't bother cleaning the intake valves.

I've only driven it about 20 miles today since I finished the installation, and I notice a slight improvement in power but not a massive improvement. My car has the Polestar software upgrade and a Go Fast Bits DV+ diverter valve installed, so it already has a fair amount of get-up-and-go, and I tend to drive with enthusiasm. Acceleration is already pretty quick with Polestar, but so far I would say it's maybe about a 5% improvement in power and acceleration. Eventually I will install a performance downpipe and I think that will unlock some more magic.

IMG_0694.jpg

A broken bolt due to over-tightening:
IMG_0699.jpg

Intake valves look pretty clean:
IMG_0697.jpg

View of the intake tubing attached to the throttle body:
IMG_0701.jpg

All done:
IMG_0700.jpg

A few more thoughts: I didn't see a massive difference after installing this manifold but I did notice a little more power. After reading all the information on Elevate's website regarding this product I am really impressed with the engineering that went into this manifold. Just looking at the location of the throttle body on the old manifold vs. this one and I have to wonder why Volvo didn't put more effort into engineering a better manifold like this one. The aerodynamic modeling of the old manifold looks like some of the cylinders could be burning richer or leaner than others because the airflow distribution is slightly uneven. Making the distribution of air more consistent and even seems like a really good idea to keep an engine running at optimum performance.

One more thought to share: after I ordered the manifold I didn't hear anything from Elevate for a week, just the initial order confirmation. Then I saw some really bad Google reviews about Elevate Cars from people saying they never received their orders, zero communication, etc. That made me pretty nervous so I emailed them and the owner Don Nicholson responded within about two hours saying that it was scheduled to ship in a few of days. So that made me feel a lot better, and sure enough it arrived in perfect condition. Overall I'm very happy and I'll post some more thoughts on the performance later on.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
A nice surprise, FedEx delivered it two days early so I got right to work installing it. The components arrived in a box with lots of padding and bubble wrap and a good set of installation instructions with lots of pictures. I'm pretty comfortable wrenching on vehicles and everything is right there on the front of the engine with easy access. I made one big mistake that others should avoid: from my experience working on bicycles, titanium bolts require a little bit of anti-seize compound. So I put a small amount of copper anti-seize compound on the threads of the bolts for the throttle body. Anti-seize compound also lubricates the threads, so you cannot get accurate torque specifications with your torque wrench. I was kind of wondering about that just as I snapped one of the bolts off. Shyt. Luckily there was enough of the broken bolt sticking out that I could unscrew it with a vice-grip and the manifold threads were not damaged. Then I had to get an Uber to the hardware store and get some replacement bolts. So don't use anti-seize compound on the bolts. The other problem I had was not that bad, it was just a real hassle to get the silicone inlet tubing all aligned and tightened up with the supplied hose clamps. I wrestled with the tubing more than I expected to but eventually I got it all together.

Not counting the trip to the hardware store it probably took me two hours, and that's because I went very slow and read the directions carefully and just took my time. To be honest I didn't use the torque wrench on the 7 main bolts holding the manifold on. The location of two of the lower bolts make it hard to get a torque wrench on them even with a universal joint adapter so I just tightened all the bolts incrementally in the recommended pattern until they felt reasonably tight. The original manifold bolts didn't seem that tight when I took them off, but it's plastic, so I used that as a reference for how tight to turn the bolts, maybe just slightly tighter than the plastic manifold.

I was really happy to see that the intake valves were very clean. My car has a little over 63,000 miles so I was expecting to see at least some carbon buildup on the valves, but there was essentially none. Just a very light brown film, but that's all. Nothing to be concerned about and I definitely wouldn't bother cleaning the intake valves.

I've only driven it about 20 miles today since I finished the installation, and I notice a slight improvement in power but not a massive improvement. My car has the Polestar software upgrade and a Go Fast Bits DV+ diverter valve installed, so it already has a fair amount of get-up-and-go, and I tend to drive with enthusiasm. Acceleration is already pretty quick with Polestar, but so far I would say it's maybe about a 5% improvement in power and acceleration. Eventually I will install a performance downpipe and I think that will unlock some more magic.

View attachment 69549

A broken bolt due to over-tightening:
View attachment 69553

Intake valves look pretty clean:
View attachment 69557

View of the intake tubing attached to the throttle body:
View attachment 69559

All done:
View attachment 69561

A few more thoughts: I didn't see a massive difference after installing this manifold but I did notice a little more power. After reading all the information on Elevate's website regarding this product I am really impressed with the engineering that went into this manifold. Just looking at the location of the throttle body on the old manifold vs. this one and I have to wonder why Volvo didn't put more effort into engineering a better manifold like this one. The aerodynamic modeling of the old manifold looks like some of the cylinders could be burning richer or leaner than others because the airflow distribution is slightly uneven. Making the distribution of air more consistent and even seems like a really good idea to keep an engine running at optimum performance.

One more thought to share: after I ordered the manifold I didn't hear anything from Elevate for a week, just the initial order confirmation. Then I saw some really bad Google reviews about Elevate Cars from people saying they never received their orders, zero communication, etc. That made me pretty nervous so I emailed them and the owner Don Nicholson responded within about two hours saying that it was scheduled to ship in a few of days. So that made me feel a lot better, and sure enough it arrived in perfect condition. Overall I'm very happy and I'll post some more thoughts on the performance later on.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the manifold. I think adding an aftermarket downpipe will really unlock the potential of this product. As I have stated many times on numerous social media platforms, this intake and a aftermarket high flow downpipe is a marriage made in heaven. Also, compare the throttle response of the car with the manifold to the throttle response with the OEM unit, for me that was the real magic was the significant increase in throttle response. Enjoy!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Siskiyou Volvo, you state that you have the "Polestar software upgrade", is that the Polestar Optimization upgrade? Is your car an Engineered Polestar or an Optimized car? Because I never heard of a Polestar software upgrade for Engineered cars. Thanks for the detailed review!

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,758 Posts
Siskiyou Volvo, you state that you have the "Polestar software upgrade", is that the Polestar Optimization upgrade? Is your car an Engineered Polestar or an Optimized car? Because I never heard of a Polestar software upgrade for Engineered cars. Thanks for the detailed review!

Look at post #16 above... XC70 T6. Has to be Polestar Optimization.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I took it to the dealership service department and they downloaded the Polestar software to may car, so I guess that's Polestar Optimization? It's been a few days since I finished the installation and I'm still very happy with this manifold. Going 60-70 mph on the freeway and there's still plenty of power to get up to 90+ mph quickly and easily. Overall it's not the same noticeable improvement as say, before and after the Polestar optimization but it feels like there is a little more power available than before. As Jeff mentioned, this manifold is probably best paired up with a performance downpipe or maybe a better intercooler. I think I will install the DO88 intercooler pretty soon, swapping out the downpipe just looks too difficult for my skill level and patience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Such a bummer, I didn't even get to drive 200 miles with this manifold installed and some guy slammed into me at an intersection and my car is a total loss. I swapped the OEM Volvo manifold back onto the engine before the car gets hauled away, so I might sell it or I might hang on to it if I can find a good T6 XC70 replacement. They are great cars and hard to find these days. I'm thankful nobody got hurt in the crash and my insurance is handling things swiftly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Such a bummer, I didn't even get to drive 200 miles with this manifold installed and some guy slammed into me at an intersection and my car is a total loss. I swapped the OEM Volvo manifold back onto the engine before the car gets hauled away, so I might sell it or I might hang on to it if I can find a good T6 XC70 replacement. They are great cars and hard to find these days. I'm thankful nobody got hurt in the crash and my insurance is handling things swiftly.
Gutted for you after all the hard work to have it smashed up. Just glad you are okay.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Damn man that’s so disappointing. Glad you’re ok at least!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Glad you are OK! You will be able to sell the manifold in a heartbeat if you decide to go that route. I can post the sale on the P* FB page for you if you want me to. (PM me.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Engine Cover

Not to hi jack, I love that matt black logoless manifold, will be my choice shortly, but where did you get that engine cover? Also, did it have any issues with the intake pipework? Snabb one is it?

Love the work, keep it up.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Not to hi jack, I love that matt black logoless manifold, will be my choice shortly, but where did you get that engine cover? Also, did it have any issues with the intake pipework? Snabb one is it?

Love the work, keep it up.
The the CF engine cover was a one-off, it's not commercially available. RE: intake pipework: do you mean the cover or the manifold? I do not know if either the CF cover or the manifold will interface with the Snabb, but I seem to recall that one owner has the manifold and the Snabb intake piping together. I think you could make it work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I found an exceptionally nice 2014 XC70 T6 with only 37,000 miles on the odometer so I will install the Elevate manifold on my new car. I can't believe I found a 2014 XC70 with such low mileage, it was previously owned by a 70 year-old lady and it's in pristine condition.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts