SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've noticed a material degradation of the electronics performance this week and I can't begin to identify a reason why. I have not changed any settings in the car recently. I have not even so much as added a station to my favorites or setup a new phone or anything. I haven't even had to get gas since well before the car started acting up 2.5 days ago.

Driving-wise it's still fine. But here's a sample of the new issues this week. Some of them have been reported previously by others but didn't affect me until this week.

1) Every single time I drive the car now the HUD has reset itself to the highest possible position on the windshield (which makes it totally out of my field of vision) and I have to manually reposition it down to where I want it. It has been rock solid in the position I set it to until 2.5 days ago.

2) The navigation system has started acting kooky. As I drive it will suddenly skew the map about 30 degrees and appear to believe that I am driving off the road at an angle to the actual road. This has lasted anywhere from 5 minutes to a few seconds at a time and happens in random intervals, though generally it is worst when I start driving and by the end of my drives has usually stopped happening for a while. As it goes off map and angle, all the street information disappears. I haven't seen this happen before or seen it reported here yet. To be clear, this is mostly may daily commute route on the same roads I always take where it has typically worked fine. And it doesn't mess up at the same locations each day.

3) A new glitch that's happened just twice this week so far is when I turn on the car the radio has set its volume to 0 on it's own. Not mute -- toggling the pause(mute)/play button has no affect. But actually the volume is at zero even though it was about at 50% when the car was turned off and nothing has touched the volume knob. Again, I never experienced this until this week.

4) Sometimes when I start the car it is randomly on a different radio station (among my favorites) that when I last used the car. Again, just since this week. I always leave it on particular station so I am very clear about this. And some of the stations it has started on instead I almost never use (like the traffic report channel). And it is not always an adjacent station on the dial or my favorites list -- it could be half the list away.

5) I have started experiencing the problem with some Sirius stations being blanked out. This has been reported here before but wasn't affecting me until this week.

There may be a few others but these are the things I recall. 3 and 4 are minor nuances. 1 is super annoying as it adds a whole process to each drive now and makes me want to just disable to HUD (assuming I can do that -- never really thought about it). 5 hasn't happened that often and fixes itself on the next use.

But 2 is very troubling.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have seen #1 twice, myself. I thought I was imagining it, actually. Haven't experienced the others, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
Despite the bugs, which are truthfully not that many (to me) and relatively minor (to me) I LOVE THE CAR. It's beautiful, and fun to drive, and fun to walk up to in a car park and think, "that's mine!"

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Despite the bugs, which are truthfully not that many (to me) and relatively minor (to me) I LOVE THE CAR. It's beautiful, and fun to drive, and fun to walk up to in a car park and think, "that's mine!"

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
the first one happens to me all the time, I thought by default, it should reset??? but anyway, I use the memory button to get HUD back in position

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I can only speak to #1 and it happens to me a lot but I think I know why or at least partly. The HUD position is tied to the seat memory (since no driver profile). Every time I switch into reverse and the mirrors angle in, they reset but not to precisely the right point- if I hold the seat memory button for the position I am already in, the mirror will readjust ever so slightly. If I DONT hold down the seat memory button, I am no longer in that position, so the next time I park the HUD doesn't know what position it's supposed to be in. This can also happen if I make a slight adjustment to my seat position and forget about it/don't care/don't save it. Or switch seat positions and don't hold down the button long enough for the entire adjustment to take place- the lumbar and side bolsters in particular seem to take a pretty long time to fully adjust.

Anyway it's kind of annoying but I think this is why and the driver profile should change this, linking the HUD position to the key fob rather than seat position or at least automatically adjusting the seat and HUD upon entry.

Just reread the op- if the HUD adjustment is annoying you must not realize you can reset by holding a seat position button. It's a lot easier than manually adjusting the HUD itself each time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
These sound like software problems as opposed to electronics problems. Some of them also seem related to driver profiles, e.g. HUD, volume, station. I wonder if somehow the driver profiles have been triggered for your key and they're really buggy, hence the reason they're not supposed to be available yet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've also noticed #1 and #2 happening to me this week! Re sat Nav I though it was an antenna / satellite issue as it does fix itself eventually. With the HUD I'm not sure what the go is.

·
Registered
432 Posts
#1 is happening to me randomly maybe once every week. I just press the seat memory button I'm using and the HUD sets itself right.
#2 I had this problem daily until a software fix was made available from volvo that must be installed at dealer. perfect ever since. It is related to a time correction on the GLONASS system (our car uses both GPS and GLONASS) and apparently the time correction there skewed some calculation letting the car believe, from a few seconds to car new start in my case, to be 100-300 meters left of the real location. again, fixed by sw update.
#3 never had that
#4 often the radio restarts with the first channel of my favourites instead of the last channel selected
#5 never hat that

A pity we can't compare software releases installed in the cars. I have deep faith ;) in the november update where all will be nice, warm, cozy, and the HUD will stay put :D

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I've made mention of #1, the HUD moving up, months ago. It has been happening to me from time to time. You have to press (and hold if the door is closed) your memory seat position and it goes back to where it should be. Annoying, yes.

I 'think' it will be addressed in the November update, I know I did tell Volvo in Sweden about it a long time ago.

You know the radio presets has been happening to me for a long time as well. Not sure about volume and such, I'll have to be on the lookout now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had 1 and 5 happen. Strange thing is for me #1 happened every time at the beginning, but doesn't happen anymore (I'm wondering if once i set up my seat/mirror memory it locked in.) #5 never happened in the beginning but now happens all the time (this one seems like a pure software bug.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
#1 & #5 from OP happens to me as well.

Just another bug/thing for electronics:
I've park and then closed the doors. Then I remember that I'd forget something into the glove box and get back to get it. I open the passenger door, pressed the glove box btn but nothing. I said OK... I must to be in driver seat. So get in the driver seat but the glove box not open. Read the manual (yeah that was the message) and the only way I found is to set the password for lock/protect the glove box and then unlock it. Not a big deal but yeah that can happen. And it's annoying.

Also .. as discuses here before if you close the door (driver) and get back and open your door again to get something you forget (ex: my phone) the radio start and don't shut off after locking (key or door handle) I've tested and on my FE doesn't matter if I lock the car before or not same behavior. Hope at least this one will be addressed for November as the only way I found I can shut off the radio/display it's to start the car, put in drive and then in park and stop the engine. :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The strange behavior continues...

Tonight I turned on the car and for the first 15 seconds or so it played a song from the channel it was supposed to be on, then with my touching anything it started playing a totally different song from another station. But here's the really weird part -- it still claimed to be on the original station. The original station was a totally different era and genre so it was obvious what was playing was not the station it claimed to be on. And this is satellite radio, not FM, so it wasn't a frequency issue. I tried switching to the full screen music mode to see if that triggered it correcting either the station playing or what it showed to be the station and it didn't. I then manually selected a different station which did change the music then immediately select back the station I was supposed to be on and it resumed playing the correct music.

Also, I tried holding down the memory button to correct the mis-positioning of the HUD display and it only half worked. It started bringing it down but stopped half-way, even if I kept pushing the memory position. I still had to manually finish correcting the position.

·
Registered
572 Posts
#2 I had this problem daily until a software fix was made available from volvo that must be installed at dealer. perfect ever since. It is related to a time correction on the GLONASS system (our car uses both GPS and GLONASS) and apparently the time correction there skewed some calculation letting the car believe, from a few seconds to car new start in my case, to be 100-300 meters left of the real location. again, fixed by sw update.
Yup. There's a software update available to repair this NAV issue.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The latest this morning...

-- Drove the car 5 minutes to one place and it had a different radio station selected then I had left the car last night. I am at the place for 15 minutes and on the return it magically had the radio station I had selected last night again.

-- This one really annoys me because it was a pain to get it working the first time, but as of this morning it has forgotten the HomeLink code for my garage door. I now have to get in and out by hitting the button at the wall to both garage doors, then walk in/out using the other bay, until I can find the time to have it re-learn the code. I am 100% sure this isn't a garage door issue because my wife's car uses the same code and still works fine with my door.

-- On the first drive this morning the HUD decided not to display any speed limit signs the whole drive. It shows current speed traveling only. This is a typical drive for me and it usually has signs on it. It did have signs on the dash display (though often with the wrong speed but that's typical). On the drive back 15 minutes later, the HUD signs worked fine.

Seriously, since Monday every day is a new adventure in this car in turns of the software/electronics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts