SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to P* specifications, top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h / 155 mph.
Still theres no problem to drive the car >265 km/h / 165 mph!
Anyone else who can confirm this?

(Test run were made on a closed controlled way)

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
260 on speedo you mean?

I have seen 255 on speedo so far. Can't say if there was juice left.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes on the speedo.

Slightly uphill, full car and the speedo said 265 still increasing.., until we "throttled down".
My other Volvo cars with electronically speed limiter newer did this :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Interesting on a couple of fronts. First is the Specs used to say 159mph limited. Secondly, you being able to achieve above that limit. Doesn't matter much for us over here in the US as we have no where to hit those speeds. Even our race tracks lack the straights for this car to get to that speed.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The speedometer always shows more than you actually drive. I had mine on 260 as well. And it is about right that 265 speedometer equals to 250 kmh "real speed"

Nothing curious about that...

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Its quite easy to prove: take a portable navigatinsystem with a GPS Speedometer and drive 250kmh speedo. the GPS will show something about 240 (depending on car)

·
Registered
404 Posts
The speedometer always shows more than you actually drive. I had mine on 260 as well. And it is about right that 265 speedometer equals to 250 kmh "real speed"

Nothing curious about that...
You're implying that the limiter gets different information about the vehicle speed than is displayed to the driver.

·
Registered
950 Posts
All I am saying is that it is limited to a real 250. but the speedometer shows always more, just take a GPS device with you and it eill prove it. Some cars have just a difference of 5 kmh, others >15 kmh

I drove GPS 272 kmh with my tuned Audi TTS (no limiter). Th speedometer showed 285

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't doubt that the speedometer doesn't show the actual speed, but the limiter uses the same speed information that gets displayed on the speedometer. There isn't a separate device, GPS or otherwise, providing speed to the computer for the limiter. The question is that if the car thinks it's going 260 kph, why hasn't the limiter kicked in to stop it at 255?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
It increases the higher the speed is. As you are not allowed to drive mroe than 70 mph, this is not a problem.
There are actually roads in Texas with a whopping 85mph limit. I know, it's sad.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That would be highly illegal in the US. By law Speedometers need to be accurate within 8km/h, https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/393.82.
I've done a GPS comparison on my car up to 85. Speedo is 1 mph behind the GPS (i.e., 85 indicated is 86 on the GPS). Far more accurate than my 2008 BMW M3. 85 indicated in the BMW was 81 on the GPS. Wife's car (XC70) is spot on at 70.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Roughly 4 km/h difference between speedo and GPS. Speedo reading higher.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts