SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed right away after taking delivery early last month that in the NAV display I can see electronic "noise" showing up as very thin horizontal lines that float up and down very rapidly - it's espcially noticeable in areas that are large solid colors like the blue, for example, that is displayed on the left side when it's showing you that you're at the point where you should make a turn.

I cringe at the possibility of having my Dealer's service department poke around (I have very little confidence in their technical capability) only to "normalize" this and in the process possibly create scuffs, scratches, squeaks and rattles that today I don't have.

Seems to me that this could be as simple as adjusting the NAV display power line away from something that's inducing the interference as electronic noise into it. Worst case, like we did in the old days when we'd hear this noise through the stereo or cassette player, we'd solder a small transformer-looking device in-line with the +12v to filter the noise out.

I didn't see this noise in the NAV display in the R I had from February to early May, so I'm of the belief that this isn't normal and should be correctable.

Is anyone familiar with this problem and had it corrected by their Volvo Dealer, or know of a TNN that addresses it specifically so I can save some hair loss and point them in the right direction?

Many thanks.

Hugh

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: Electronic "noise" showing up on my NAV display (hughdbrf)

Hugh, mine has also done it from day one. However I do not see it when using the AUX input for my back-up camera (via iMIV). Granted, I'm not sending solid colour images from the camera to the NAV screen so maybe the noise is there and I just don't see it. I'll try to put some kind of signal with solid dark colour on the AUX input to see for sure if what I'm saying is correct. If so, it will lead me to think that the noise is introduced within the NAV unit itself and not simply from the 12V power connection or over the video signal cable (which would be my first hunch)

LTA

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
I have noticed the same problem with my Nav. This is probably just the effect of how the system operates. The screen is essentially just a PAL monitor that displays standard PAL tv signals that scan. The Nav system generates the video and then outputs the video in PAL format displayed by the screen. The way the system is designed it seems to be quite susceptible to electrical interference. Here's a check: is it any better when the car is off vs on?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (adykes)

LTA and adykes, thanks for replying...and good question for the test!

Here's what I found:

In key position I brought up the Stored Locations screen for it's solid blue field. In this key position there are no electrical interference lines floating up and down!

In key position II they are there!!! And of course they persist after the engine is started and the key returns to position II.

When I move from key position II back to key position I, the interference disappears after about 1.5 seconds.

Any ideas?

Hugh

·
Registered
2019 S60 Pine Gray, M. Brown, Lin. Lime
2,936 Posts
Re: (hughdbrf)

Electrical noise from a ventilation or cooling fan motor?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (ljjones)

Quote, originally posted by ljjones »
Electrical noise from a ventilation or cooling fan motor?

That's a likely culprit. Could also be coming off of the CD player or from the NAV DVD player, too?

I guess I need a good process of elimination to follow.

Or...what electrically powered motor (noise generator) runs with the ignition in the ON position but wouldn't with the ignition in the Accessory position?

Fuel pump?

Modified by hughdbrf at 1:01 AM 6-15-2007

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Re:

Maybe the noise is coming off that huge bundle of wires that travels from the drivers side trunk... down under the foot area of the rear seats and does a split. Mine has that noise... any time the A/C is on. My guess is the NAV system in the rear travels with in that bundle and more noise is created in those lines as you introduce more items that pull power from the battery.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: (KillerB)

Quote, originally posted by KillerB »
Maybe the noise is coming off that huge bundle of wires that travels from the drivers side trunk... down under the foot area of the rear seats and does a split. Mine has that noise... any time the A/C is on. My guess is the NAV system in the rear travels with in that bundle and more noise is created in those lines as you introduce more items that pull power from the battery.

Bryan, concur with you on the idea that the harness bundle could be providing tight proximity to "stuff" that could set up the induction of electronic noise within whatever feeds the NAV display.

I'm kind'a thinking that I need to focus on ways to isolate the NAV display from the noise source as a means to eliminate it.

So, here's how I'm gonna date myself...back in the days of AM radios and the early aftermarket add-in 8-track and then AM/FM/cassette players in cars, when we'd hear the ignition noise coming through the speakers we'd splice a small wound-coil transformer in the +12 power wire for the radio or player. This device, which is made to do just this, would "filter" the incoming power. The result was no more noise coming through the speakers. It in effect isolated the radio / player from the noise that was inducted through the +12v line.

In the case of my NAV display, I'm "seeing" the noise being generated from something and then being inducted into the display through either the power feed or the data line from the DVD to the head unit.

Thanks KillerB and all who read my rambling...all ideas welcome.

Hugh

Modified by hughdbrf at 10:11 AM 6-15-2007

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Re: Re: (hughdbrf)

The noise could be in two forms: 1. noise on the 12V bus caused by the other acessories, or 2. Noise induced from the other cables. Since the video cables are shieled I would say that the most likely culprit would be noise on the 12V bus. You could use the small transformer, or capacitors of the correct size, or you could ste up to a DC-DC isolator like this http://www.newmarpower.com/DC-....html

Either way, I'd pop one on the nav screen's power supply lines AND the Nav system in the rear. Since the video cables are shielded I think this would be the place to start, then perhaps move on to fiddling with extra shielding on the cables if this did not help.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
You can also eliminate sources of noise one by one by pulling fuses while the car is on. Fans are rarely filtered and can cause noise. I would discount the radio and other electronic systems of that nature since they are 1) unlikely to induce noise on the 12v bus and 2) they are filtered themselves internally.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Problem FIXED.

Volvo TS made the Dealer replace the NAV display as part of the diagnosis / process of elimination. Noise on the NAV display remained exactly the same.

I "suggested" again to the service manager the notion of an inline filter to the NAV display and asked him to call the regional rep. Interestingly, the regional rep told the service manager that Volvo acknowledges this electronic noise problem on the NAV display of some vehicles and told the service manager to order and
install an inline filter (
) that they offer in such cases.

So for all who were kind enough to reply and try to help, as well as those who may search and find this post in the future, the Volvo part number for the filter is:

30775489-5

Hugh

Modified by hughdbrf at 11:23 PM 8-14-2007

Modified by hughdbrf at 11:23 PM 8-14-2007

·
Registered
6,888 Posts

Thank you! Much appreciated. I've had this since day one but I didn't bother having the dealership poke around with the same fears you had.

If possible, can you scan your dealer invoice showing the part number?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Electronic "noise" showing up on my NAV display (mike_c70)

Quote, originally posted by mike_c70 »
If possible, can you scan your dealer invoice showing the part number?

Thanks for the IM Mike - understood. Will do - your email address is hidden in your profile. IM it to me.

Hugh

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

FINALLY! A fix! Thanks for the legwork. SJ

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Nice job! To the stickied FAQ this goes. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: Electronic "noise" showing up on my NAV display (Needsdecaf)

Sometime for small repairs I'd rather buy the part and do it my self since a couple hours at the dealer for warranty service can be more costly than DIY (time=money).

However, this is not one of those cases. I found out today that this little filter is $150!!! Holly Shinto! Definately worth doing under warranty.

Anybody have a picture of it or so how/where it gets installed? Is it an electrical wired-in device or a ferrite core of some kind?

LTA

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Re: Electronic "noise" showing up on my NAV display (LTA)

Quote, originally posted by LTA »
Anybody have a picture of it or so how/where it gets installed? Is it an electrical wired-in device or a ferrite core of some kind?

I had the filter installed this past week. Display is now clear and solid; no noise. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
I was told the part is installed under the display, and they have to remove the assembly to get it in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Electronic "noise" showing up on my NAV display (Lightspeed)

Quote, originally posted by Lightspeed »
I was told the part is installed under the display, and they have to remove the assembly to get it in.

Same R&R process when they did mine -

Hugh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, sorry for bumping this old thread but I've been trying to find a solution for the exact same problem you guys had.
However, my retailer (and Volvo Sweden) "haven't" heard anything about a fix according to them.

The filter is available for order at the the retailer, though I'm very curious about which kind of filter it is, since it's comes down at $200
Does anyone now the specs for the filter and the placement of it? Or a coupling schedule for it's placement.

Regards
T

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
First of all - anything over $50 is a giant rip-off if it's just a PAL video signal filter, but it's probably got some special connectors on it that allow them to charge whatever they want.

FWIW Tascaparts.com sell it for about $100 US, but since you mentioned Volvo Sweden I'm guessing that'd be overseas shipping for you.

I just had a thought: it may be expensive because of connectors... UNLESS it is a snap-on Ferrite filter. Try picking one of these bad boys up from an electronics store - hell, pull one off a video cable from a camcorder or something if you have to - and stick it on the video cable from the nav unit. Worth a shot. The things are only worth like $3.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts