SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After purchasing my '63 I took the car to Vol-Tech, here in Portland, for an oil change and a test drive with the shop-owner for his recommendations on upgrades for daily driving. One recommendation was replacing the current distributor (Bosch VJU 4BL 33) with later distributor from a'74 140 and adding the Pertronix electric conversion kit. However, it appears that a conversion kit exists for my current distributor...can someone explain the benefits of the '74 distributor and where to source it?

thanks

·
Registered
857 Posts
After purchasing my '63 I took the car to Vol-Tech, here in Portland, for an oil change and a test drive with the shop-owner for his recommendations on upgrades for daily driving. One recommendation was replacing the current distributor (Bosch VJU 4BL 33) with later distributor from a'74 140 and adding the Pertronix electric conversion kit. However, it appears that a conversion kit exists for my current distributor...can someone explain the benefits of the '74 distributor and where to source it?

thanks
I don't know why you'd need to change the distributor. I just bought the Pertronix for 003 cast iron dizzies and it works fine.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know why you'd need to change the distributor. I just bought the Pertronix for 003 cast iron dizzies and it works fine.
Not sure either...but Rob, the shop owner, suggested and he should know his stuff: Son of IPD founder and avid/winning vintage volvo racer. Well, scheduled for some carb work next week and will inquire then.

Meanwhile, car is running ruff and I've been messing with the mixture, though really don't know what I'm doing. So today printed out nice pdf from one of gdills links and stepped through the tuning procedure. It looks like my front jet is stuck in its uppermost position...the mixture adjustment nut has no effect on raising/lowering the jet...not sure if the jet itself is stuck, or the throttle levers/wire/springs are stuck. Any ideas?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Not sure either...but Rob, the shop owner, suggested and he should know his stuff: Son of IPD founder and avid/winning vintage volvo racer.
Yeah, I'd trust his advice then. Still, let us know what the benefit is!

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I prefer the VJU 4BL 33 because it has vacuum advance. I've been running a Crane Cams breakerless conversion in one for about 20 years now. The distributor has been on various engines in our Amazon, and I've never had a bit of a problem with it, or on any other car I've put a Crane kit into. I've seen various failures with the Pertronix.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
I prefer the VJU 4BL 33 because it has vacuum advance. I've been running a Crane Cams breakerless conversion in one for about 20 years now. The distributor has been on various engines in our Amazon, and I've never had a bit of a problem with it, or on any other car I've put a Crane kit into. I've seen various failures with the Pertronix.
Notice that Phil is saying "vacuum ADVANCE", not retard.

If both distributors are healthy either can be moded to gain small performance changes using timing. A properly installed Crane system (a bit tricky) is superior to the Pertronix.

George Dill

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
My favorite distributor for the B18/20 is the one from the 1975 240. It is already electronic, so no conversion is required. Be sure and get the module, harness and coil. It is one HOT dizzy!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My favorite distributor for the B18/20 is the one from the 1975 240. It is already electronic, so no conversion is required. Be sure and get the module, harness and coil. It is one HOT dizzy!
It just so happens that I'm heading to pick and pull this morning to get a b20 from a 75 242.... A nice fathers day find for $175!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, HERE it is.
Hey Phil, Unfortunately I pulled this engine with everything dettached from the distributor prior to seeing your post.. I did go back today to try to trace the wiring back from the coil but could not locate the mysterious black box...granted I was looking at the link on my phone in some of the rare sunlight we get here, but the closet thing I could find was located on passenger side interior firewall.

Can you point me in the general vicinity?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts