SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title is my polite way of saying Mrs. P and I are getting POed with our leased '14 S60. A couple of weeks ago she started getting a hood unlatched warning, even though the hood hadn't been opened in days or weeks. That error tripped the car alarm just about every time she locked the car. :angryfire: Two trips to our dealer 90 miles away and they finally solved the problem by replacing one of the latch sensors.

Now this evening, she calls me and tells me that the dash is showing that all four tires are low. This is after she drove for 5 minutes from her office to the grocery store. I don't think there's anyway short of someone slashing all four tires that they've lost pressure all at the same time. :angryfire::angryfire:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Steve. Understand your frustration. My S60 has had a few more issues than I'd hope for too. I notice you are in a northern climate. Has your weather gotten colder today/tonight? I ask because a quick change to colder weather can reduce the tire pressure enough to set off the sensor, especially if you haven't topped up the tires in a couple of months. Hoping that helps.

TJ

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TJ

It's still in the 50s in PA, so I can't think cold is an issue. She's stopping on the way home to check the pressure on all four corners.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok -- problem solved. One tire was down about 10 psi, the others a few psi. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
two of my tires were low a few days ago in my van, strictly from the cold, just that time of year.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Strange, when we bought our 2015.5 V60 RD we were told Canadian cars don't have TPMS... What model do you have?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
They stopped putting TPMS in the cars at some point. 2014 IIRC. Now if only the US could follow.
Aside from the potential cost of extra sensors for winter wheels, why wouldn't you want to know that a tire has low pressure?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Aside from the potential cost of extra sensors for winter wheels, why wouldn't you want to know that a tire has low pressure?
I find the system to be poorly executed in all cars, Volvo included. Its a great law in theory, but the execution has been poor. We had a tire 5 psi low, with no warning light on the Volvo. Not a huge deal, but why cant the system be setup so I can pick a threshold, since I am the one paying $700+ for a set of tires? I prefer to never have my tires underinflated for saftey reasons, and I am diligent about checking them, however the system is content letting us ride around on underinflated tires, so its more of feel good system becaue of government legislation, than saving people lives and also that costs us a lot money. For example, when we got new tires, we were told the sensors were corroded, so I am anticipating them to fail before needing new tires, so it will cost me $120 for dismount/remount and rebalance, plus $400 or so for new sensors. $520 for a system that is designed to meet a feel good law, when it could be so much better designed. Time to get off my soap box.....

·
Registered
547 Posts
It's more than a feel good system. Even a diligent person such as our original poster was alerted to low tire pressure by the TPMS. I was alerted when my tire was punctured but before it flattened, so I was able to zip home and deal with it there rather than on the shoulder someplace.

·
Registered
460 Posts
What is this forum for, if not to provide a soap box?

Sensors are not covered under warranty? Shouldn't fail on a 3 year old car. I'll have to check that, but so far so good and I change to winter tires (unmounts/remount) seasonally.

I guess my expectation was that the pressure would have to be significantly low before I got an alert anyway. On my car, recommended pressure is 38 psi. I find that to be a bit too jarring and keep it around 35 psi. I know some who prefer 40 (ouch!). If the sensor has to accommodate that range of preference without false alarms, then it seems reasonable that they wouldn't generate an alert until pressure was definitely a problem, say around 32 psi. When I first brought the car home one tire dropped to 20 and caused an alert, after filling it the problem never recurred. This seems to me like a useful function, especially since it was January and the daytime highs were in the teens which was not conducive to me crawling around in the snow to check tire pressure on a brand new car. I do know that on other cars the system is more accurate and provides individual readout for each tire. I agree that it would be nice if that were the case on my car too, but I still see the value in the existing system.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
+1
But I also agree with s6013t5 in that the system can be much better designed. It can tell you which of the 4 tires is low. It can also give you the actual pressure. In addition, since we have this interface called Sensus, one should be able to program the target pressure and the threshold to trigger the warning. There would be defaults of course but why not set your custom settings if you choose to do so?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
What is this forum for, if not to provide a soap box?

Sensors are not covered under warranty? Shouldn't fail on a 3 year old car. I'll have to check that, but so far so good and I change to winter tires (unmounts/remount) seasonally.

I guess my expectation was that the pressure would have to be significantly low before I got an alert anyway. On my car, recommended pressure is 38 psi. I find that to be a bit too jarring and keep it around 35 psi. I know some who prefer 40 (ouch!). If the sensor has to accommodate that range of preference without false alarms, then it seems reasonable that they wouldn't generate an alert until pressure was definitely a problem, say around 32 psi. When I first brought the car home one tire dropped to 20 and caused an alert, after filling it the problem never recurred. This seems to me like a useful function, especially since it was January and the daytime highs were in the teens which was not conducive to me crawling around in the snow to check tire pressure on a brand new car. I do know that on other cars the system is more accurate and provides individual readout for each tire. I agree that it would be nice if that were the case on my car too, but I still see the value in the existing system.
The car was out of warranty when we were told the sensors were corroded, by a trusted tire shop. I called the dealer and they said some corrosion was normal, and offered to check them if I paid for the mount/dismount. Seeing as that would cost nearly $100, and it might have been possible to get some goodwill out of warranty (dealers words), we just didnt see the system worth the expense of our money or time to potentially get something fixed that wasnt broken and could last several more years or forever. At this point I am content to wait and see if they fail. If they do, I plan on building a pressurized tube and sticking some used sensors in there, and going back to rubber valve stems. I think they have eliminated the sensors and gone to a rotational speed sensor in newer models which eliminates the corossion and the associated costs.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hi Steve. Understand your frustration. My S60 has had a few more issues than I'd hope for too. I notice you are in a northern climate. Has your weather gotten colder today/tonight? I ask because a quick change to colder weather can reduce the tire pressure enough to set off the sensor, especially if you haven't topped up the tires in a couple of months. Hoping that helps.

TJ
Yep, it's the climate change. Both my Volvo's were low on air in the last few days, and I did get the warning from the XC60. Had to go to 3 gas stations to find an air pump that didn't have multiple people waiting to add air...I'm guessing that most who have the sensors are getting low air warnings.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm surprised by everyone's annoyance of TPMS. It's not like it does anything but a small light on the dash...Why get irritated with it? The hood latch sensor...that sounds annoying.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
It's more than a feel good system. Even a diligent person such as our original poster was alerted to low tire pressure by the TPMS. I was alerted when my tire was punctured but before it flattened, so I was able to zip home and deal with it there rather than on the shoulder someplace.
Of course there are benefits to the system. All I am saying I was forced to buy a car with a TPMS system, because its the law. So because its government mandated, the system is designed to meet the parameters of the law, not what is the best possible system. In theory, if it wasnt a law, the manufacturers could offer it as an option so those who want it could buy it, and people like me arent forced too. Since its an option it would cause them to design the best system possible to justify someone buying it, like ACC. I just dont want to pay for a subpar system to protect myself from my myself.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm surprised by everyone's annoyance of TPMS. It's not like it does anything but a small light on the dash...Why get irritated with it? The hood latch sensor...that sounds annoying.
It increased the MSRP of my car, and is not the best possible iteration of a TPMS system (I have yet to drive a car with a truly great one). Also its going to cost me $500+ when/if these sensors fail.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It increased the MSRP of my car, and is not the best possible iteration of a TPMS system (I have yet to drive a car with a truly great one). Also its going to cost me $500+ when/if these sensors fail.
I'm not even sure how your situation has happened, I've never had any sort of issue resembling what you have with any TPMS that I've had on any of my vehicles Volvo or not. That sucks. It must have something to do with your location.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts