SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have read my post about my electrical problems that magically disappeared when I got to the dealer, so they had to to a "best guess" fix. Well, they're back... and here they are:

Onset symptoms - Clicking/flickering noise in far left side of dash (headlight control area). Hazard/4-ways randomly turn on.

Shortly thereafter - Partial electrical failure for a brief second, followed by "Brake Failure, Stop Safely" message.

Following - Indefinite partial electrical failure with the following systems not functioning during the failure:

1) Window control
2) Gauges in cluster
3) Chassis setting lights
4) Power steering
5) Exterior lights (headlights, blinkers etc.)
6) Air conditioning (climate control seems to function normally, but no cold air)
7) Speed sensor? (transmission can be put in reverse position at highway speeds with no resistance)
8) Starter (motor will not attempt to start for several tries)
9) Door locks (remote will not lock doors- must be done manually)

The following systems seem to be unaffected by the electrical failure:

1) Radio
2) Climate control (no cold air, however)
3) Idle feels normal, but tachometer is dead
4) Braking feels normal
5) 12 volt power source functions normally

Symptoms may be triggered by high temperature, either outside the vehicle or in the engine bay. Both original onsets occurred on hot days after some normal city driving, and symptoms continued after sitting all night and through a hot day in a parking lot. On a cool morning, however, no symptoms were observed. (heat expansion causing a break in contact somewhere in the electrical system?)

There is no known way to reproduce this failure on demand.

Anyone ever experience this, and if so, did they have a fix, and what was it? Thanks, all.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: electrical problems continue... anyone else have this? (Sue Esponte)

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »
When did you buy an Audi?

-Eric

I got RID of my Audi for my R... Irony, sweet Irony!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Re: electrical problems continue... anyone else have this? (JOSBRO)

Wow, and I thought I had problems with my R. How long has this been going on? I have never had a failure of that many systems at once.

·
Registered
470 Posts

I am not one that has had your particular problem, but I do recall reading that one car was affected by a bad ground connection, another had a faulty ignition switch that created havoc, and I seem to recall another with an improperly seated ECU.
Sorry to hear about your problems (it always sucks to hear about serious electrical issues, let alone experience them first hand). I hope you get it resolved quickly.

Best,
pino

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: electrical problems continue... anyone else have this? (dugums)

Quote, originally posted by dugums »
I had a bad ground that caused alot of the symptoms you are describing (not all though) I would start there...

yea, that's what I was thinking... I just want to arm myself with as many possiblities as possible (holy redundancy) when I go to the dealer on Monday just in case the problems hide again once I get to the dealer. Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Re: electrical problems continue... anyone else have this? (dugums)

Quote, originally posted by dugums »
I had a bad ground that caused alot of the symptoms you are describing (not all though) I would start there...

He's right. There have been a couple of people here with ECU (ECM) grounding issues and electrical gremlins. Good place to start.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Sounds like a problem with the CEM to me. There is a bulletin for water getting in there and corroding the connectors on 05-06 cars, but might be worth checking into on yours anyhow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts