SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a strange thing happening with my trip computer. Every week or so the trip counter is resetting itself randomly. The battery is only 6 months old and the alternator belt has been changed. What could be causing it?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
How many miles do you drive during your week?

·
Registered
8,061 Posts

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
PS - If memory serves me correctly I think there was a program bug on the early cars that rolled over the trip meter before it would hit 1K, but was addressed via a software update. If its that its nothing that a software update wouldn't fix.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do 20 miles a day roughly, car is on 110k miles now and a 2003/53 plate. I reset it on Sunday and was at 80 ish miles when it reset. It's very random when it does it, I've been up to 300 miles on the trip and it's been fine and sometimes trip 2 has been up to 600 when it zeros itself.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I would agree with Stealthy. Get a DIM upgrade from dealership. If that doesnt solve, investigate further

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing, it just needs the DIM update. It resets at 1K kilometers, so around 600 ish miles on either trip meter one or two. Can anyone verify that this is suppose to be a free software update or what the cost should be? I've contacted my local Volvo dealer but haven't heard back from them.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
concur with above posters ... if you are not the original owner you may not have the software updates ... every model year has them.
my '06, a bespoke car, had some screwy instrument issues that were solved by a free dealership download.

but, I would check to see that the trip "stalk" is not sticking ...

I have that with a radio preset button -- makes me crazy -- it stays down when I press it and you're stuck with that frequency.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing, it just needs the DIM update. It resets at 1K kilometers, so around 600 ish miles on either trip meter one or two. Can anyone verify that this is suppose to be a free software update or what the cost should be? I've contacted my local Volvo dealer but haven't heard back from them.

It goes to zero if your dash is for EU spec. So the highest value trip will display is 999km

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
As a technical defect a dealer should do it for free, but as a non-critical problem don't be surprised if most want to charge you their whatever fee for hooking up to the computer and running downloads.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Funny thing I've noticed with mine is that the numbers will keep going up, but it'll reset to zero once it's turned off after hitting that point.

I just need to go talk to them to see what they'd charge to get the update. It's honestly never bothered me much.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Mine's doing it too. Always wondered about it. *shrug*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts