SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an electrical problem with my 2004 S60R A/T<br>This evening I tried to open the car with my remote and it would not unlock the doors. I used the key and and start it up. It did start up but the lights on the dashboard were dimmed for a few second and then wnet up completely while the engine is running. Check engine light is on.<br>Central locks, trunk, fule door do not work. Neither do turn signals. Stop lights do work. All the gauges lights are out and at ZERO point. The A/C control lights are on, power windows work. The engine runs but it seems that it is in limp mode i.e. less accelleration. Strangely, the alarm LED in the dash blinks slowly as if the car was still locked using the alarm, even with the engine running. I changed the batteries on the remote to no avail. Please help before I take the car to the dealer and pay big $$$

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Might be a bad ground...<p>Since the car actually started Im assuming the battery is okay.<p>Check its physical condidion by opening up your trunk and looking at it. Is there corrosion? Are the cables firmly attached?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

Thanks china,<p>since we are talking about ground. Do you know where is the engine grounded in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Re: (duchski)

Theres a few different ground points. I belive one is near the drivers side fender, theres about 4 nuts/bolts with random wires attached. Its just a plate.<p>But if theres that many problems it sounds like a major ground/+12v contact point.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Re: Electrical problem -- please help (duchski)

Immobilizer? Try using search I heard of other members similar issues.<br><A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=76695" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=76695</A>

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Electrical problem -- please help (Denis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Denis</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Immobilizer? Try using search I heard of other members similar issues.<br><A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=76695" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=76695</A></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Immobilizer wouldn't affect lights, etc. Just would prevent starting. <p>My bet is on old battery. These cars are very sensitive to voltage irregularities.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Re: Electrical problem -- please help (Needsdecaf)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Needsdecaf</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My bet is on old battery. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>+1, noted that its an 04, could be on the original still.<p>To the OP, have you ever swapped out the battery? Should get the voltage checked on it and should narrow down the possibilities.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Electrical problem -- please help (QnsMostWanted)

<p>Thanks everyone. The car is running (relatively normal) now.<br>On a hintch I checked Fuze 32 (CEM). The fuze was fine but after I plugged it back in the alarm went off and the car went back to normal....<p>Strange. My batter is fine, I replaced it few months ago with Interstate (OEM). I will go to the dealer later this week to see what is going on...<p>Thanks again for your help...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Re: Electrical problem -- please help (duchski)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>duchski</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I will go to the dealer later this week to see what is going on...</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Sounds like your best bet. If you want to make it worse and pay to do so...<p><br><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>duchski</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The fuze was fine </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Wheres JRL?<br>

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Re: Electrical problem -- please help (imageomega)

I had similar gremlins when the car sat for 3-4 days. It was fine after a good run.<p>If the battery is new, check your terminal connections, make sure they're tight, and also clean of corrosion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts