SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, hoping to get some guidance on an electrical issue I'm having with my 2016 XC90. The 2nd row and 3rd passenger lights are no longer working. After trauling Google I found one person who had a similar issue but no advice on how to fix it. Fuse #28 is blown and every time I replace the fuse with a new one it blows instantly. Any ideas? Does anyone have a wiring diagram that I can look at to see what else is on the circuit? Seem like there too much power coming from somewhere, so seems a bit weird.

Fault codes that appear are U2D7087, U2D7187, U2D7287.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nik

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hi All, hoping to get some guidance on an electrical issue I'm having with my 2016 XC90. The 2nd row and 3rd passenger lights are no longer working. After trauling Google I found one person who had a similar issue but no advice on how to fix it. Fuse #28 is blown and every time I replace the fuse with a new one it blows instantly. Any ideas? Does anyone have a wiring diagram that I can look at to see what else is on the circuit? Seem like there too much power coming from somewhere, so seems a bit weird.

Fault codes that appear are U2D7087, U2D7187, U2D7287.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nik
Instant blown fuse = dead short to ground.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Yeah you likely have a chafed wire touching ground. You'll likely need to drop the headliner but I'll double check the wiring diagrams tomorrow if I have time.

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Aren’t they all LED?
They are. And likely one of them has a fault that's caused, as others mentioned, a ground short. Either that, or wiring has gone bad. Either way, gotta solve this one the old fashioned way, by pulling the headliner, and grabbing a multimeter. :-\

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check the bulbs first.. lm not sure I'm confident to pull the headlining considering it was tricky to even get to the fuse box haha. but will take a look.

Seems super weird that the wiring would develop a fault like this, especially if it's shorting to ground. Wonder if it's a known defect or not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Any one wanting to fault trace a dead short on an 12 volt fuse circuit, connect an H7 bulb in line of the dead short circuit. With a dead short, the H7 bulb will stay lit up until the dead short is located and/or corrected.
Search for, Sheffield Research GTC (SHFCT6100) Fuse Socket Connector Set. One of these has the mini fuse to the big regular fuse. Regular female spade connectors will push onto the adapter and
H7 bulb male ends. Make two 12" or longer wires with the female connectors on each end. Connect the 2 wires to the fuse adapter and H7 bulb. Plug the adapter into the shorted fuse. Turn on the key and start tracing the dead short.
I use 24-30" wire leads. This will give me enough wire to move the H7 dead short lit bulb away from the fuse box to the other side of the car or let it hang outside an opened door to up under to hood area
or let it hand down under to car to where ever you need to be looking for a short circuit.
Be careful where you set the H7 bulb. The lit bulb glass will melt plastic and floor carpets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts