SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this weird problem with my S60r was the car won't turn on sometimes, there's no power to anything on the dash, no click from ignition it acts like the battery is not even connected. But it's not easy to tell what the cause is because it has happened at all times of the day, in all temperatures and with every variable it seems like. No matter what I do it seems to happen for no reason at all. Sometimes the car with be on and it will just die and the same thing all power seems to be none existent except for the trunk lights and footwell lights. I've ruled out the battery as an issue, and all my fuses are fine, I'm not sure how to test a relay but it seems to me if it was a relay, then the problem wouldn't come and go. This started happening 3 days ago when the lights were left on and the battery died but since then the battery has been fully charged and checked and it's fine. Anyone had this happen before???:(:(:facepalm:

·
Registered
996 Posts
I had this same problem and I found it it was my positive battery cable was barely making a connection. It was just flopping there. But you said it’s not the battery so that’s not your problem.

But I did have the same problem. I’d unlock my car, put the key in the ignition, everything was normal till I tried to crack. Then everything died. It was like the battery wasn’t connected (and it kinda wasn’t.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had this same problem and I found it it was my positive battery cable was barely making a connection. It was just flopping there. But you said it's not the battery so that's not your problem.

But I did have the same problem. I'd unlock my car, put the key in the ignition, everything was normal till I tried to crack. Then everything died. It was like the battery wasn't connected (and it kinda wasn't.).

I had the same exact problem when I bought my T5. Sometimes it would start, sometimes not. No power, nothing.

Solution was the exact same as above.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'll take another look, could it be a positive connection in the engine bay instead of maybe?
Wouldn't hurt to check that. But check both the positive and negative battery cables. If you can pull them off by hand that's your problem.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Would a faulty ignition module cause these symptoms? It’s as if it doesn’t recognize the key.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Perhaps there is an issue with the chassis ground? It sounds like there is a loose connection somewhere to either a battery positive or a battery ground. Maybe a wire is broken internally and only making intermittent connection. That could go unnoticed pretty easily.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps there is an issue with the chassis ground? It sounds like there is a loose connection somewhere to either a battery positive or a battery ground. Maybe a wire is broken internally and only making intermittent connection. That could go unnoticed pretty easily.
Where would I look for that ground?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would a faulty ignition module cause these symptoms? It's as if it doesn't recognize the key.
So an interesting Update, I went out and put the battery back in the car, and when I went to go in the alarm went off, then I put the key in and turn it, nothing the alarm kept going nothing would make the alarm stop and the car doesn't respond to the key fob at all, Why Doesn't the key itself work though is that part of the anti-theft system???:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So an interesting Update, I went out and put the battery back in the car, and when I went to go in the alarm went off, then I put the key in and turn it, nothing the alarm kept going nothing would make the alarm stop and the car doesn't respond to the key fob at all, Why Doesn't the key itself work though is that part of the anti-theft system???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts