SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have electric brakes on their trailer working with their XC90 Recharge? No one at my dealership is able to guide me. I have the factory installed trailer hitch kit with 7-pin connector installed. I need to get 12v power to Pin #4 (the 1 o'clock position) and this pin is currently not getting power when tested. I also see that Pin #2 is designated as a spare and electric trailer brakes are noted for this pin in their web instruction below. Yet no one at dealership is able to guide me on how I can get electric brakes working with my vehicle. Hoping someone out there can help me.
Font Parallel Screenshot Electric blue Circle

·
Registered
7 Posts
How are you testing it? Mine arrives in 3 weeks or so, so I can't directly help, but it says you need two light sources connected to activate the Trailer Module. That may mean you need a trailer plug (with at least two lights connected to 5&6) plugged in before it will send 12V to pin 4.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC90 T8 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
857 Posts
You need a third party brake controller added like the Prodigy RF...see thread below for example.

Reactions: VolvoUhu

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need a third party brake controller added like the Prodigy RF...see thread below for example.

That was my other thought, but I assumed it may have been integrated considering they mention the anti-sway features which would work outside of a brake controller.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I believe it’s the exception to have integrated controllers; I’ve only heard of the upper end pickup trucks with tow packages having them and I know Rivian’s R1T has it integrated.

On our XC90s we use the Prodigy RF controller which I is great - and super convenient since the controller stays without camping trailer and we tow with both XC90s. Only the cig lighter powered remote needs to be moved between them if I need to adjust braking force depending on driving conditions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How are you testing it? Mine arrives in 3 weeks or so, so I can't directly help, but it says you need two light sources connected to activate the Trailer Module. That may mean you need a trailer plug (with at least two lights connected to 5&6) plugged in before it will send 12V to pin 4.
I had my trailer supplier plug a tester directly into the Volvo 7-pin socket and the tester light on pin #4 was showing that it was not getting power. But now that I read your note, it might be because two light sources (ie: the trailer) was not connected to the Volvo. What that means is that any tester will always show pin #4 not getting power since the tester plugs into the Volvo's 7-pin connector and can only do this when a trailer is not connected. But you might be on to something here. I purchased the Curt Echo Mobile Brake Controller (51180) and when I plugged it into the Volvo 7-pin socket, it was not providing power to the Curt unit and therefore the Curt unit would not send out its blue tooth signal required in order to complete the wireless connection and corresponding set up on my phone. I'm wondering know if I should return the Curt unit and purchase the Prodigy RF controller since the Prodigy unit gets its power to connect from inside the car in the cigarette lighter socket. I was also reading some other posts and some owners have had to undertake their initial set up of the wireless brake controller using another type of truck/vehicle. And then once it's set up, then it works on their Volvo. That seems odd to me. I will be picking up my trailer next week (currently getting the brakes put on it) and then I think I'll venture back over to Hitch City (with both my Volvo and the trailer) to see if they can either get the Curt Echo unit set up (ie: get it to send out a blue tooth signal), or I'll exchange it for the Prodigy unit and try this wireless unit. Let's stay in touch and between us see if we can get one of these blue tooth brake controllers set up and working. Talk again soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe it’s the exception to have integrated controllers; I’ve only heard of the upper end pickup trucks with tow packages having them and I know Rivian’s R1T has it integrated.

On our XC90s we use the Prodigy RF controller which I is great - and super convenient since the controller stays without camping trailer and we tow with both XC90s. Only the cig lighter powered remote needs to be moved between them if I need to adjust braking force depending on driving conditions.
Hey VolvoUhu, were you able to set up the Prodigy RF without issue? Can you share with me what you did to get it connected? And...did you consider getting the Curt Echo blue tooth controller at any point?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks. I did purchase the Curt Echo Bluetooth controller (51180) and it is this unit that I cannot get to receive power when I plug it into my Volvo 7-pin socket. So I'm thinking I'll return the Curt and get the Prodigy RF as this is the brake controller that seems to work with the Volvo XC90.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Hey VolvoUhu, were you able to set up the Prodigy RF without issue? Can you share with me what you did to get it connected? And...did you consider getting the Curt Echo blue tooth controller at any point?
I don’t believe the Curt version was available when we got the Prodigy RF. It should be pretty easy to pair on a SPA XC90 as they work well with trailers with LED lights. For our 2010 I had to get a blade with resisters to increase the load so that it would detect our trailer (7-Way RV Blade LED Electrical Adapter (Not a Wiring Extension)). I actually took the blade plug end of it which has the resistors and wired it into our trailer to simplify it. When we added the 2017 to our garage it just worked. Pairing the module that you mount to the tongue of your trailer with the remote control unit that you keep in your car is pretty straight forward. My understanding is the new ones are even easier and also work over BT.

They’re great tow vehicles - combined we’ve towed more than 41k miles with our XC90s. Last summer we had a big 8000 mile road trip pulling our R-Pod.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC90 T8 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
857 Posts
Agreed, the XC90 does well trailering. Took my 6x12’ enclosed cargo trailer over the Sierra mountains from San Jose CA to Dayton NV with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: likeXC90

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF Brake Controller and got everything working very well on my 2022 Volvo XC90 Recharge. The trailer needs to be connected to the vehicle and the vehicle running in order to set this up and get it working.
Plant community Plant Font Publication Advertising

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF Brake Controller and got everything working very well on my 2022 Volvo XC90 Recharge. The trailer needs to be connected to the vehicle and the vehicle running in order to set this up and get it working. I didn't have my boat on the trailer when I did this, so empty trailer is fine but it must be hooked onto the Volvo's hitch in order for the Volvo to recognize that it has a trailer attached. My boat trailer weighs about 750 pounds and is for a 17' foot boat that weighs 2,200lbs. I ordered it from etrailer.com and was very happy with their service and delivery. Even with the exchange rate it was worth ordering from U.S. website/source.
Plant community Plant Font Publication Advertising

1 - 12 of 12 Posts