SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

When applying the electric parking brake, is the brake pedal required to press firmly?

It seems that I don't need to press the brake pedal but I can still apply the electric parking brake i,e, manual release.

I do understand that the brake pedal is required to press firmly before releasing it.

But is it also true that it can be automatically released when the car begins to move if the seat belt is fasten and the gear selector is in D or R? I have not tried that before.

Can anyone tell me to confirm please?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Hi,

When applying the electric parking brake, is the brake pedal required to press firmly?

It seems that I don't need to press the brake pedal but I can still apply the electric parking brake i,e, manual release.

I do understand that the brake pedal is required to press firmly before releasing it.

But is it also true that it can be automatically released when the car begins to move if the seat belt is fasten and the gear selector is in D or R? I have not tried that before.

Can anyone tell me to confirm please?

Thanks.
Yes....the parking brake does disengage as you describe. (Yes-I had to try it.) I just feel better doing it myself manually with my foot on the brake.

I am not 100% sure when you really need to set the electronic brake.....thoughts?

·
Registered
26 Posts
You are right, after fasten your seat belt, you don't need to release the parking brake to move the car.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes....the parking brake does disengage as you describe. (Yes-I had to try it.) I just feel better doing it myself manually with my foot on the brake.

I am not 100% sure when you really need to set the electronic brake.....thoughts?
Not setting the parking brake is dumb. It puts the weight of the car on the transmission's parking prawl. Ever notice how the car will roll slightly when you put it in park and take your foot off the brake? That's the full mass of the portly XC60 resting on your expensive-to-repair-or-replace transmission. I'd rather have the weight on the designed-to-be-replaced parking brake. So, my process -- what I teach my teenagers to do -- is to apply the parking brake FIRST, then put the transmission in Park.

I realize that so many people don't use the parking brake -- most especially valets and mechanics. Those guys won't put on a seat belt when they move the car. That means the automatic release won't occur. So, in those situations, like when a hotel valet is parking my car, I don't use the parking brake. But it bothers me quite a lot. And I worry about all those cars being held in place by something that isn't designed to hold them in place.

Not using the parking brake is, I think, one of the most common mistakes drivers make.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not setting the parking brake is dumb. It puts the weight of the car on the transmission's parking prawl. Ever notice how the car will roll slightly when you put it in park and take your foot off the brake? That's the full mass of the portly XC60 resting on your expensive-to-repair-or-replace transmission. I'd rather have the weight on the designed-to-be-replaced parking brake. So, my process -- what I teach my teenagers to do -- is to apply the parking brake FIRST, then put the transmission in Park.

I realize that so many people don't use the parking brake -- most especially valets and mechanics. Those guys won't put on a seat belt when they move the car. That means the automatic release won't occur. So, in those situations, like when a hotel valet is parking my car, I don't use the parking brake. But it bothers me quite a lot. And I worry about all those cars being held in place by something that isn't designed to hold them in place.

Not using the parking brake is, I think, one of the most common mistakes drivers make.
After you have positioned your car, your foot will definitely be pressing on the brake pedal. Keep it there and Shift your transmission to P. Then activate your electric parking brake. Lastly, take off your foot from the brake pedal.

Why do u need to activate the electric brake FIRST, followed by shifting to P?

·
Registered
222 Posts
After you have positioned your car, your foot will definitely be pressing on the brake pedal. Keep it there and Shift your transmission to P. Then activate your electric parking brake. Lastly, take off your foot from the brake pedal.

Why do u need to activate the electric brake FIRST, followed by shifting to P?
Applying the p-brake first assures that the weight of the car is being borne by the parking brake.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Applying the p-brake first assures that the weight of the car is being borne by the parking brake.
Exactly. Even shifting into P with your foot on the brake pedal will not guarantee that some of the vehicle's weight does not transfer to the transmission.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Even though My Darling drove a VW Fox manual and we had a five-speed Miata for nine years, she and at least 4 females in her family don't use the parking brake in their vehicles now. We have a sloped driveway and I can't tell you how often I see the vehicles(one is a extended Tahoe!) roll a foot or so as they park them without the emergency brake engaged! Of course, you hear that major 'clunk' when putting the vehicle in drive the next time! My Darling is using it 'more', but I think it's because she thinks I'll be the one to drive that particular vehicle next. :(

Fortunately, our garage is dead flat(except for the 1/4"/ft slope for drainage); so it's a bit less critical when the vehicles are in there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oops. :p I think I did not ask one of my questions properly in the beginning.

It seems that I don't need to press the brake pedal but I can still apply the electric parking brake when parking.

In the owner's manual, it states that the brake pedal is needed to apply in order to apply the electric brake.

Can anyone tell me which one is correct? Is brake pedal required to press firmly before applying the electric parking brake? Or not?

Thanks..

·
Registered
333 Posts
Oops. :p I think I did not ask one of my questions properly in the beginning.

It seems that I don't need to press the brake pedal but I can still apply the electric parking brake when parking.

In the owner's manual, it states that the brake pedal is needed to apply in order to apply the electric brake.

Can anyone tell me which one is correct? Is brake pedal required to press firmly before applying the electric parking brake? Or not?

Thanks..
I do not need to press the pedal before applying the parking brake.

/Martin

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mean that I do not need to press the pedal before applying the parking brake.

On the contrary, when releasing the parking brake, I do need to press the pedal when releasing the parking brake. Otherwise, the main display will show a message about not pressing the pedal when releasing the parking brake.

Is everyone seeing the same behavior?

Basically, I like to confirm whether the pedal is required to be pressed when applying parking brake or there is a mistake in the documentation (where it states that the pedal is required to press before releasing the parking brake).

·
Registered
333 Posts

On the contrary, when releasing the parking brake, I do need to press the pedal when releasing the parking brake. Otherwise, the main display will show a message about not pressing the pedal when releasing the parking brake.
That is exactly how mine works.

/Martin

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

Is everyone seeing the same behavior?

Basically, I like to confirm whether the pedal is required to be pressed when applying parking brake or there is a mistake in the documentation (where it states that the pedal is required to press before releasing the parking brake).
I understand. However, what if you are n a hill? You should engage the park brake before you shift the car to park and that should be done with your foot on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Great advice. Have started this as part of my regular practice. Always used to use parking brake, but only after shifting into P. Now, I apply it before shifting out of D. Its a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The electric parking brake (EPB) uses an electric motor and a screw mechanism to apply the same brake pads as used for foot brake.
If you have some pressure on foot brake and apply the EPB then you will ensure a more sure application.
The system is smart and even re-applies the EPB one wheel at a time after a time if the conditions indicate the brakes are warm-hot when EPB is set.
The ABS system calculates brake temp and will know when the brake temp calculation says brakes are hot when you parked and set EPB.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts