SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi XC60 owners,

Quick question..if there is a problem with the battery or low voltage, what will happen to the electric parking brake? Can it still be released?

I am curious to know... Thanks..

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Hi XC60 owners,

Quick question..if there is a problem with the battery or low voltage, what will happen to the electric parking brake? Can it still be released?

That's a fair question. When our battery died completely, NOTHING would work....door locks, couldn't even get the key out of the ignition slot(DW only put it in as a last resort to get 'something ' to happen). I reckon if you manage to get the engine running and engage the seat belt, you could release the brake by driving off(unless that feature has changed since '10 ). When our battery 'went', the vehicle ran fine until it was parked for under an hour and dead upon return!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi XC60 owners,

RTFM

MY12 XC60 Owner's Manual, page 117, footnote 3: "If the battery is dead, the electric parking brake cannot be applied or released."

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
RTFM

MY12 XC60 Owner's Manual, page 117, footnote 3: "If the battery is dead, the electric parking brake cannot be applied or released."
A little harsh, I reckon. OP doesn't have the vehicle, yet. ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But the OP does, presumably, have access to the Internet from which he or she can easily download the manual and do a search.
Yes, I did check out the manual. But I would like to get some clarification from the existing XC60 owners.

So, basically if the battery is dead, the car can't be towed either because the parking brake can't be released manually?

I wonder if any existing XC60 owner has such unfortunately experience to share... Thanks again..

·
Registered
690 Posts
... if the battery is dead, the car can't be towed either because the parking brake can't be released manually? ..
You can still tow a vehicle with the parking brake applied / dead battery. This can be done with a flatbed and rollers or an under carriage lift. My other non-Volvo car also has an electric parking brake. Had to be towed back to the dealer once due to a transmission lock up. Similar to the brake not being releasable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
would this apply if the park break had not been applied manually, it is my understaing the park break applies itself automatically if the vehicle is in park, igniton off.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
would this apply if the park break had not been applied manually, it is my understaing the park break applies itself automatically if the vehicle is in park, igniton off.
NOT the case with our '10 T6...can't comment on the newer models.

By the bye, I KNOW the day will come that I'll need to pull a 'flying 180' in one of our vehicles. I just hope I'm in the C70 when it happens. I'll take a good old-fashioned hand brake anytime ;) . (My only practice was in a TR-7, Audi GT and Miata...about as 'manual' as you could get, emergency-brake-wise :) ). Anybody else miss 'The Rockford Files' or 'Starsky and Hutch' ? I must be gettin' OLD!

·
Registered
690 Posts
In the '12 XC60, the electric parking brake must be applied manually. Just like a non-electric parking brake.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Same for the 2011's. It does however disengage automatically which could be the basis for the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Same for the 2011's. It does however disengage automatically which could be the basis for the misunderstanding.
Actually, it disengages automatically only if you are wearing a seat belt, a nice safety feature (MY12 OM, page 123).

Even more interesting, if you have adaptive cruise control with Queue Assist, the parking brake will be applied automatically if the ACC has stopped the car for more than two minutes. (page 158)

I was blown away by this when it happened in a traffic jam on the Mass. Pike. ACC took the car from 70 MPH to zero and then applied the parking brake.

I've only done this once. And I think ACC is too dangerous to use as I did that time. It's actually nerve-wracking. You have to pay MORE attention to what's going on (a good thing) when using ACC. Even set to maximum following distance, the system tends to brake late which causes tailgaters to come too close; you risk getting rear-ended. Plus, you have to make sure the system is tracking the car in front by making sure the indicator on the dash is on.

IOW, it's a thrill to play with, but too distracting in real life to use often.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can still tow a vehicle with the parking brake applied / dead battery. This can be done with a flatbed and rollers or an under carriage lift. My other non-Volvo car also has an electric parking brake. Had to be towed back to the dealer once due to a transmission lock up. Similar to the brake not being releasable.
So basically the car is locked up when the battery is dead. And the electric parking brake can't be released at that point. Is it correct? Anyone?

·
Registered
690 Posts
So basically the car is locked up when the battery is dead. And the electric parking brake can't be released at that point. Is it correct? Anyone?
Yes, if the battery is so completely dead that it can't even release the parking brake, that is true... And your point is?

·
Registered
690 Posts
From the online XC60 2012 US Owners Manual:

Low battery voltage
If the battery voltage is too low, the parking
brake cannot be applied or released. Connect
an auxiliary battery if the battery voltage is too
low, see page 114

1 - 15 of 15 Posts