SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here installed an electric brake controller in a Volvo?<p>The brake controller is used to govern the independent brakes on a towed trailer. Usually you don't need electric brakes unless the trailer is over 2500 lbs, or so. I'm planning on towing a pop-up RV trailer with my XC70, but can't find any information anywhere about installing the controller on a Volvo. <p>Any thoughts?<p>Thanks,<p>Nigel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Electric Brake Controller for Trailer Towing (NigelBHall)

Have you found any information on the electric trailer brake? I would like to install a electric trailer brake controller on my 04 xc90 and have not found any information. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Re: Electric Brake Controller for Trailer Towing (mcgheeXC90)

My brother in-law had electric brakes on one of his vechiles and there are two types. <br>One hooks into the hydraulic brake line and proportionally applies the trailer brakes.<br>The other just used the signal from the brake light switch to operate them. On this type you'll have to wire it to the wire from the brake light switch before it goes to the bulb failure indicator.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Electric Brake Controller for Trailer Towing (VolvoBob)

I installed the Jordan Ultima 2020 in my 2004 XC 90 2.5T and pulled a tandem axle travel trailer for perhaps a 1000 miles. I found the 2.5t just not powerful enough to tow the trailer comfortably unless towing conditions were ideal. We know that doesn't happen too often.<p>However, I really liked the Ultima controller and will be getting the same controller for my V8!!<br>Unfortunately when I checked the manufacturer's website, I see they are sold out!!<p>But I also read there that they have an Ultima Plus in development and available sometime later in the year. I will wait rather than buying another brand/type of controller.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts