SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After battling for quite some time to remove the rear lower control arm bolts/bushings I finally installed my Eibach lowering springs but I have a couple questions. The car seems to have a noticeable rake with the front wheel gap about 1/2" less than the rear. I didn't measure this before installing the springs but visually it appears to be more dramatic than with the stock springs. I kept the bottom spring seats in the control arms but I'm wondering now if I should remove them. The rear springs themselves have a rubber/plastic piece around the bottom couple coils so if I removed the OEM spring seats there still wouldn't be metal on metal contact between the spring and the arm. Have people generally kept the OEM spring seats or tossed them? Is there a reason to keep them installed?

Second, for the front springs I didn't even need a spring compressor to install the new lowering springs and the spring isn't held tightly in place when there is no load on the strut. It's held a little in place, but I can twist it somewhat on the lower spring perch of the strut. Is this normal for the Eibach springs? I'm using Koni Str.T orange struts. Thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Maybe they need to settle. If you dont wanna drive it, go hop on your trunk lol. But seriously I feel like mine was sort of like that. I dont recall the front springs doing anything odd though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
My V50 has had Eibach springs on it since I got it from the previous owner, but it doesn't seem to have any rake angle.

Maybe Eibach engineered to account for the tiny bit of extra weight of the wagon and that's why you're sitting pretty, alla muscle-car, in the S40?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little more exploring of the Eibach website revealed this: "OE spring isolator pads are crucial in isolating road noise from the passenger compartment." on their Installation Tips page. Maybe it isn't as dramatic as it initially seemed to me:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have Eibach -25mm lowering springs waiting to be installed. How does your s40 look now after you have driven it for a while? I've been thinking of cutting 1/2 coil from the rear springs.

Lähetetty minun ONEPLUS A6003 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

1 - 6 of 6 Posts