SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Pretty awesome gauge setup. I have a ProSport vac/boost with peak/recall function, pretty nice feature.

Where is your egt probe? turbine housing?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just noticed your other post with the cluster pods.

Nice work! Did you use universal pods and then hack them? I did that once in my old V70R...

·
Registered
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just noticed your other post with the cluster pods.

Nice work! Did you use universal pods and then hack them? I did that once in my old V70R...
thanks...that looks cool! you don't want to know what i used for my pods...lolol...i am cheap...but here it goes. :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
no ... it is right on...

rape wot = 1400 -1600
normal cruising = 800 -1000
Get that super-MPG tune from Hilton and see if that changes. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
EGT is pretty high (especially reading it after turbine) but as long as you don't stay there long you're ok. Not great but ok. Lean tune and high load = high EGT. You have like 3 engines waiting to go in though so no worries :)

·
Registered
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EGT is pretty high (especially reading it after turbine) but as long as you don't stay there long you're ok. Not great but ok. Lean tune and high load = high EGT. You have like 3 engines waiting to go in though so no worries :)
if you look where my custom Tail WG setup dumps the exhaust gases, you'll only then understand how my 20g custom built and egt actual accuracy of temps / placement really is. it's odd how everyone on forums is like an expert and really have not done shiat them-self and then they use google and then they know it all...but really cant even observe the obvious...did you actually install you sways? ;)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Im interested seeing the setup regardless. Having the thermocouple before the turbine is the preferred spot because the exhaust gasses are under the most pressure. I'd expect a pretty big difference on a TD04 based turbo, relatively speaking. Also rich mixtures lead to hotter manifold temps where leaner leads to more heat in the combustion chamber. I'd be interested to see what happens if you enrich the time at WOT.
Sent from my rotor-dial phone with the help of Cortana.

·
Registered
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im interested seeing the setup regardless. Having the thermocouple before the turbine is the preferred spot because the exhaust gasses are under the most pressure. I'd expect a pretty big difference on a TD04 based turbo, relatively speaking. Also rich mixtures lead to hotter manifold temps where leaner leads to more heat in the combustion chamber. I'd be interested to see what happens if you enrich the time at WOT.
Sent from my rotor-dial phone with the help of Cortana.
yes and no ...they are, but that is not really accurate since that is the hottest point and not the actual temps of each cylinder temps exiting within 2 inches of the head...and that would read even higher than actual temps are... when i show you the peak in the vid that is the highest it climbed and with enriched time at WOT...i cut the vid at 80 for reasons.

·
Registered
197 Posts
if you look where my custom Tail WG setup dumps the exhaust gases, you'll only then understand how my 20g custom built and egt actual accuracy of temps / placement really is. it's odd how everyone on forums is like an expert and really have not done shiat them-self and then they use google and then they know it all...but really cant even observe the obvious...did you actually install you sways? ;)
Dude every time I post in your threads you act like I'm insulting you. I'm not. Calm down. I did no googling. I installed my egt in my 7.3 powerstroke van before the turbo all by my dumb self. I also put the small block v8 in my 245 wagon, fabbed all the pre and post piping, built a megasquirt, tuned it, made 510whp at 10psi about 13 years ago. I'm not hating on you, I enjoy your threads.

·
Registered
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dude every time I post in your threads you act like I'm insulting you. I'm not. Calm down. I did no googling. I installed my egt in my 7.3 powerstroke van before the turbo all by my dumb self. I also put the small block v8 in my 245 wagon, fabbed all the pre and post piping, built a megasquirt, tuned it, made 510whp at 10psi about 13 years ago. I'm not hating on you, I enjoy your threads.
i am really sorry man, i apologize , but the part with 3 engines seems like you were implying my engine is about to blow up or something...i am like jeezes ...i can't explain the things i make in the best of detail i just know it'll work and it is accurate...:beer:

example...this guy blows up his engine with 20g and automatically assumes mine is about to blow...annoying.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/170688-egt-at-wot-on-my-custom-20g/?page=1

·
Registered
197 Posts
i am really sorry man, i apologize , but the part with 3 engines seems like you were implying my engine is about to blow up or something...i am like jeezes ...i can't explain the things i make in the best of detail i just know it'll work and it is accurate...:beer:

example...this guy blows up his engine with 20g and automatically assumes mine is about to blow...annoying.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/170688-egt-at-wot-on-my-custom-20g/?page=1
Sorry if it came across wrong. I think it's awesome you are doing the other engines. It's smart and they are stronger, good on ya. I've been trading insults with the turbobricks forum kids for years because I have a v8 in a Volvo lol.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Cruise will never dump as much heat into the exhaust flow as will WOT operation.
True. I didn't say it would. Higher temp air doesn't equal more heat.

·
Registered
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Sorry if it came across wrong. I think it's awesome you are doing the other engines. It's smart and they are stronger, good on ya. I've been trading insults with the turbobricks forum kids for years because I have a v8 in a Volvo lol.
thanks and once again sorry about that...most likely i will never use those engines in my current cars and eventually when or if i move on away from volvos i'll end up selling them or scrap them... i get bored rather quickly and start making stuff for no apparent reasons which about as sporadic as my replies.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
An automotive turbo may see a some very high temperatures at its inlet, but fortunately what is of concern to its operation is the gas temperatures impinging on the turbine.

Gas temps before the turbo may be almost 50% hotter than the outlet temps, but fortunately the pressure drop that also results in a related temperature drop occurs in the scroll so the temps you see right after the turbine are pretty close to the temps the turbine sees which is what really matters. Its only seeing the upper range during spurts of WOT after all.

This isn't an aircraft turbine where you have to worry about melting the turbine nozzles, all we have is a chunk of iron alloy shaped like a snail that can handle occasional abuse just like the exhaust manifold does.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.