SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Pros: overall reliability, good looks, power and sound.
Cons: Thirsty, heavy, smaller boot than your V70 (lol, duh)

[Hade varit kul att se hur många användare som faktiskt är svenskar. Verkar som att emigrerade (?) sådana vänder sig hit hellre än till svenskaspråkiga forum, intressant nog.]

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I can, yes. I'll make them in Swedish though.

http://www.jagrullar.se/forum/ är väl det största. Finns även http://www.svxc.se/phpBB2/ men det har jag ingen diret erfarenhet av. Verkar finnas många bra guider där då jag ofta stöter på länkar dit. Finns ju även en drös forum för veteran-Volvos typ några Amazon-forum, 300-power osv. Flashback forum har även en bil-del men har man allt för märkesspecifika frågor brukar det alltid vara någon som rekommenderar jagrullar istället.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Looking into crossing over from a '04 V70R GT to a S80 AWD V8.

What are the pros / cons of these cars?
1) 4C in the S80 V8 is a lot more refined - and durable
2) General reliability of the P3 platform cars is better - particularly around "wear items" like suspension bushings, wheel bearing, and stuff like that - on P2 cars those things just wear out regularly, but on the P3 cars they seem to last a very long time.
3) At least in the US market, you can get air conditioned seats in the P3 S80 - unlike any other Volvo in the US market.
4) 336mm brakes on the S80 V8 feel nearly as good as the Brembos on a P2 R.
5) OEM exhaust note is awesome - resonator delete makes it even better but still "tame enough" and quiet when cruising.
6) In the US market at least, I think all S80 V8s have an electronic parking brake instead of manual. Nice in that it will never fail catastrophically like the drum PBs on P2 Volvos, but bad in that no more handbrake turns in the snow.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Looking into crossing over from a '04 V70R GT to a S80 AWD V8.

What are the pros / cons of these cars?
There are a few threads that already have a lot of 'pros and cons' listed for the S80. Do a search on 'S80 Pros and Cons'... you should see a lengthy thread with a lot of good info (that I started almost a year ago). Not being a d*ck here, just sharing.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
A few cons I've noticed on mine:

Pulleys start to whine, and my understanding is that there's a high chance of failure of the tensioner when replacing the belt/pulleys. Go slow when taking tension off the belt.
Alternator issues with the earlier models.
NAV CD's are expensive. I've got an 06 NAV cd and I can't find an update that's not under $250!

Other than that, really happy with the V8

·
Registered
73 Posts
Warpedcow hit all the high points, an S80 V8 with all the options is what you need to be looking for. I've had my 07 for a little over a year and have loved it. Some minor things have come up, nothing major at all - just things that come with the territory of owning a vehicle.

Not sure if it's a real "con" but no manual transmission on these models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts