SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am curious if anyone has the technical specs on the turbos (and/or transmission) that Volvo is using in the eDrive, particularly for MY2019. I believe there are at least three turbo variants: T4, T5 and T6 (assume the turbo in the T8 is the same as the T6). The 8-speed transmission is the same in all models??
Specifically, I'd like to know the manufacturer, the rating, max rpm, max boost,...
Trying to figure out how robustly Volvo designed the components supporting the hard working little 2 litre 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The new 2019 BMW 330i only has 252hp and 295tq; compared to 316hp and 295tq of the T6.
Yet they have identical 0 to 60 times of 5.2 seconds.
The S60 weighs 200 pounds more; does that offset the horsepower advantage - I don't think so.
We all know that you buy horsepower but drive torque.
Is the turbo or transmission/gearing that much better in the BMW, offsetting the horsepower deficit?
What is the supercharger adding to the Volvo's performance??
That's the heart of my original question...

·
Registered
63 Posts
https://depositonce.tu-berlin.de/bitstream/11303/4754/1/sens_baar_conference_on_engine_processes.pdf

Supercharger adds low end power before turbo takes over at around 4000rpm. After 4000 rpm, the supercharger is disconnected by a clutch on the belt drive to the drive shaft of the supercharger.

Boost remains consistent throughout rpm range, so engine is always boosted to the designed power sweet spot regardless of rpm.

Lots of magic happening, the spray pattern of the injectors keeping the fuel off the piston and cylinder walls, the intake charge shaping the fuel charge to be best optimized for the spark plug location for complete combustion, the ignition system firing the plugs based on real time data rather than at a set timing mark of degrees of crankshaft rotation allowing for radically advanced timing at certain engine modes to maintain power and emissions performance at the highest possible for a gasoline fueled engine.

Volvo has claimed the eDrive is the least polluting of co2 per horsepower at the time of its release in 2015.5.

That is why it can get 27 or 28 mpg when driving in eco while making 350hp with a Polestar tune and a Polestar exhaust. But horsepower takes energy, use all of those 350hp and the mileage will plummet into the 10mpg range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts