SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The T5 in my R is toast. Can't find a direct replacement, so we are going with a 2.4LPT from a 1997 GLT.

In an effort to maintain something close to the car's original performance parameters, I think it's prudent to do something with the ECU. It appears that the choices are:

MTE from ipd
ARD
Hi-Tuning

Since this is my first Volvo, I don't have years of board experience to have an idea of who you all might consider the leader, or the one least likely to blow another engine at any rate

Is there a general consensus as to what the differences are among these three tuning houses?

And can my R ECU receive a flash intended for a GLT, or do we need the GLT's ECU as well?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
ARD is the cheapest but Lucky is terrific and his tunes are supposedly great
So I would go with him

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I think the R can be flashed to be compatible to work with the GLT motor, don't see why not. Lucky has a lot of experience tuning for LPTs, he will change all of the parameters so your engine doesn't grenade.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Go with ARD, for our gen cars he's amazing. I have the green tune on my '98R and it totally transformed the car. He can custom the tune to work with your new motor.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,458 Posts
Any ECU will work. It will be overwritten with the new tune anyway, at least if you go with Lucky/ARD, which is recommended.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ARD it is, then. The GLT motor I on the way. I guess the smart thing to do is get it in the car, make sure everything is cool...and see how noticeable the power gap really is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. I've got a V70 1.6 T4 (180bps) and I just wanted to know that if a similar problem arose for me, could I follow the same methods? My brother's quite car savvy but I'm definitely going to consult some professionals as well. They have a reputation for performance related services, but I want to make sure I appear to know my stuff before approaching them just so that I don't look like an amateur. Can anyone also take a quick peek and see if the site look legit? Like maybe go into the ECU tuning page and see if they look reliable? Thanks for your help, from a helpless rookie!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
This is primarily a US forum, and I don't think any of us have heard of them in the past. With that said, ARD tuning can still help you out no matter where you live. The only issue is that we don't get the 1.6 T4 in the V70 here, so he may not be able to tune it without having actually knowing how the engine works firsthand.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Hey guys. I've got a V70 1.6 T4 (180bps) and I just wanted to know that if a similar problem arose for me, could I follow the same methods? My brother's quite car savvy but I'm definitely going to consult some professionals as well. They have a reputation for performance related services, but I want to make sure I appear to know my stuff before approaching them just so that I don't look like an amateur. Can anyone also take a quick peek and see if the site look legit? Like maybe go into the ECU tuning page and see if they look reliable? Thanks for your help, from a helpless rookie!
What year is your V70? I don't recall ever seeing a 1.6L V70 nor a T4 engine on anything prior to 2008 here in Europe.

Italy had a 2.0L R model with 225bhp for tax reasons.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
No "T4's anywhere

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
ARD is the cheapest but Lucky is terrific and his tunes are supposedly great
So I would go with him
Jim is wrong again, ARD is not the cheapest, Speedtuning USA is the cheapest. Speedtuning is also the worst one to go with. I run ARD in two of my current vehicles and i am a happy camper, you will too.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Speedtuning still around?
Not mentioned because the tunes are bad plus I didn't think they were still in business, no one has mentioned that name in years
You're comment was unwarranted

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,458 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Exactly. You could buy a Speedtuning tune, but their tunes sold in the past primarily by virtue of being inexpensive. When ARD is offering a vastly superior tune at a similar price-point, there is no reason to consider Speedtuning or the like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts