SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at some of the web sites that discuss ECU tuning, at least one says that by upgrading the ECU the engine not only develops more HP and Torque but is more efficient. Is this so? While I expect there will be members who will say, if you wanted great mileage get a Civic, I have always liked the fact that Volvo builds cars with good or very good performance with good mileage. Most of the time that I drive my R I am commuting and I am not using anywhere near the car's maximum performance. If I upgrade the ECU, how will this effect fuel efficiency in normal operation? Is there a perceptible difference.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: ECU tuning and engine efficiency (Shipmate)

unless you have absolute control of your right foot... and a totally economy-minded brain... you'll never realize the potential for better mileage... in fact, it will get worse. Your smiles/mile will get better though!

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts

I'm still waiting to see what ipd/TME decide to do with a possible softloader so I haven't upgrade my R yet, but my TT's gas mileage improved with the hp chip.

I know it's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

The only way I could ever hope to get good mileage in my R is to set the cruise at 120Km/h in 6th gear and train my kids to yell at me if I drop down a few gears and mash the gas!

I used to love getting 600Km per small tank in my '94 Civic and '89 Corola GTS but those days are longe gone with the beast in my garage now.

ps. Right now I average city 17.9L/100Km in my R and 18.2L/100 in the wife's XC90.

LTA

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: ECU tuning and engine efficiency (Sue Esponte)

My gas mileage has not been impacted by my ECU flash (IPD Stage 2), and yet performance has improved vastly. I guess that means it is more efficient.

I'm still getting around 19.5 - 20.0 mpg per tank.
-Ben

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
like they said...in normal operation, you won't notice it because the little bit of efficiency you gain is quickly destroyed by your occasional "blip" of power

however, if you are doing highway cruising for a long distance, you will notice slightly improved MPG

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Re: (blot)

Quote, originally posted by blot »
I too have not noticed any reduction in my gas mileage after my mods

you must have gotten the under gas pedal magnet installed too.... mine seems to suck the right pedal down to the floor real fast for some reason.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well I have chipped my car and I can comment on this thread to what i can say.

Depending on your driving style gas mileage is better with and ecu upgrade. Thats is you dont drive to fast more conservative and steady on the gas. Most of us R owners have a pretty heavy foot I can say i get better gas mileage when im babying my car but that is maybe about half the time. I leave to many smiles in the review mirror. I cant help myself somtimes. When you drive fast after having your car chipped it works the opposite way to get more power you gotta burn more gas thats just part of having more hp. But if you drive slower with more hp you get better gas mileage but I mean who does that. All I can say is you will love the Ecu mod go ahead and get it. you wont be dissapointed.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: ECU tuning and engine efficiency (JimLill)

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »
unless you have absolute control of your right foot... and a totally economy-minded brain... you'll never realize the potential for better mileage... in fact, it will get worse. Your smiles/mile will get better though!
I used to subscribe to that idea UNTIL I bought this older (850R) a couple of weeks ago, (sold, yesterday)
It had a chip that I never heard of BUT the owner also turned the wastegate (boost controller) WAAAY up, about 4 turns if I read his notes correctly.
Car is bloddy fast, INSTANT off the line boost using light throttle and absolutely the fastest early Volvo I had ever driven.
Now, you would think that this car would get horrible mileage? No!
According to the trip computer it actually got 1/2 mile per gallon better mileage than my 850R does
(I reset both computers, outcome was the same)
That ECU has now found its way into my car but I haven't been able to set my wastegate yet so, yes mine is quicker now but not nearly as quick and not nearly as "drivable" as that one was. I could use 1/2 the amount of throttle input in normal driving as that car was so responsive.
The conclusion is obvious to me, if ALL the systems are in harmony with each other you CAN get (a lot) more hp and still have at least the same fuel mileage, at least in "normal" day to day driving
Unfortunately, in our R's the wastegate is electronic and not adjustable manually

1 - 11 of 11 Posts