SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a CEL sometimes from a leak I have at my downpipe-turbo connection, and usually I reset the ECU to make it go away for 1000 miles or so, I'll fix it eventually but right now I have bigger fish to fry.

So yesterday I reset the ECU, didn't drive the car until this morning, and after driving it for 10 minutes I punched it in 1st, revved up to 6000rpm and then it felt like the car pulled all boost, almost like I had a massive boost leak. But vacuum is fine, no couplers on my FMIC are leaking, I was slowly able to build boost up to 5psi but I didn't push it farther than that. The engine sounded different on the rest of the drive, just a different pitch really, nothing major. I'm curious as to whether anyone has experienced something like this before?

My mods are in my signature, and I have no tune as of yet, is it possible that my ECU pulled boost to protect itself because it hadn't had time to readapt to my modifications after the reset?

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
There is nothing in the list of mods that would require any "adaptation". The ECU may have gone into limp mode and is limiting boost. A scan of codes will net you the code for this or other culprits.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
turned out to be a combination of 2 things:

low power steering fluid, I've had a slow leak that finally reached a point where the rack was making a grinding noise (explaining the weird engine sound)

ECU adaptation, boost came back to 15psi after doing the whole TCV reset procedure that I usually do after resetting the ECU.

Scared me to death when the ECU cut boost and the "engine" started making a grinding sound. Tomorrow will warrant new fluid, and monday a new reservoir and lines.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geez. Woulda scared the crap outta me to
I screamed at my caR when I parked it at work, told it if it (she, or whatever you want to call an R) didn't start working immediately after work I would be selling it and buying a B6 S4.

I swear I've put so much time and money into this car since I bought it in February I'm going to go broke...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts