SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what the green eco dashboard tells me. Here's a photo for easy reference: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33145376/Eco.jpg. There seems to be three moving parts: the pointer, the green bar along the circle and the small indicator that's all the way to the right on the photo but that also moves when driving. I haven't been able to find anything that explains this in the manual.

Oh, and is it possible to default driving mode to any chosen mode, including Individual? Mine defaults to Comfort and I haven't found a way to change the default.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
So far you can not change the default mode. It's been speculated/hoped that driver profiles will materialize and allow it.

The manual actually probably explains the Eco dash better than I could but basically there is the little pointer which is the "ideal Eco" driver, and another pointer which is you, and to maximize efficiency you want them to sync up (usually by easing off the throttle). The "ready" in this indicates that if you take your foot off the throttle, you will coast with no engine braking. I think the green bar is actually the amount OVER the where you should be. It only looks like that if you're hard on the throttle, or braking when with foresight you could have coasted to a stop (not often a viable option in real life but the computer thinks so).

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I've never been able to make sense of the Eco-Gauge, even after re-reading the manual section numerous times.

It needs a Youtube video explainer in the worst-way.

·
Registered
398 Posts
FYI - once you go into ECO mode you can also make your dash look like the normal driving dash view instead of having the ECO view with the gauge a little confusing.
The only issue until apparently driving profiles come along is that you need to change the settings each time you start the car to ECO and the sash view.
I hope Volvo delivers the drivers profiles as soon (or very soon after) the S90 is released.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Seems like the same designer behind the long-debated "status" icon between the time and temp indicators was responsible for this. :) We couldn't figure it out during our three test drives either lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was all ready to 'splain and then I realized it was a T6.

T8, that view gives a very clear (once you understand it) view of where you use battery, where the threshold is for the gas engine to come on, and where you are charging the battery.

I agree, though, that just looks like a tach without numbers. Hmmm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The green dial reads from right to left. The further the needle is to the left the more economic you drive. (this is reflected in the app [driver performance])

The diamond, that seems to float freely, indicates the optimal efficiency while considering the (outside) conditions. See it as a virtual driver that tells you: hey, if I'm behind the wheel now i'm would just use 4 mpg in this situation while y'r doing 9!

When using the adaptive CC I notice that my (more correct: computer's) economy is off from most efficient. Most noticeable in slow traffic with a lot of (small) accelerating and breaking.
On the highway, at a steady pace, they join nicely.
Granted. I have a visual on the full situation and driver experience, while the car has to induce 'just' using a radar image.

The adaptive CC, in eco, feels to be eager. If it's set to 70 mph it's prepared to accelerate to 70 asap.
Even in heavy slow (city) traffic when it's unlikely to exceed 30.

I find that by adjusting the ACC then manually to a more reasonable (= max expected) speed the car behaves more economic.
It "knows" then that the max is, say 30, and it adjusts accordingly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts