SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Start the car and it starts freaking out. Plug it into VIDA and get ECM 919A. Clear it, it stops hunting, drive it 20 miles with reduced engine performance still on but no CEL. Scan it when I turn it off and only ECM 91B7 is there. The only thing I have done recently is change the oil, and add a GROM last night... Maybe I ran the interior lights a little long last night and the car isn't happy... Otherwise from casual googleing it's the ETM which was replaced 60k ago.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Start the car and it starts freaking out. Plug it into VIDA and get ECM 919A. Clear it, it stops hunting, drive it 20 miles with reduced engine performance still on but no CEL. Scan it when I turn it off and only ECM 91B7 is there. The only thing I have done recently is change the oil, and add a GROM last night... Maybe I ran the interior lights a little long last night and the car isn't happy... Otherwise from casual googleing it's the ETM which was replaced 60k ago.
i would pull the battery and touch the two terminal together and reset everything to see how it acts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
829 Posts
Or pull fuses 6 and 23 under the hood and try to start the car to reset the ecu. I like to do this every so often or when new parts are installed.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clearing it with VIDA is the same thing.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well here's where it gets interesting... Came back, CEL was on, engine system service was on, and it was still not running right. Cleared the codes with VIDA, started to idle and run perfectly. Shut the car off at home, turned it back on... And here are the codes that came up... I mean what the ????? I also cannot seem to access vehicle communication in VIDA... Not sure if it's a VIDA error or something wonky with the caR. Going to pull the ETM.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Clearing it with VIDA is the same thing.
Was not aware of that. All the more reason I need VIDA... Any clue how old the battery is? Not sure if a bad battery would make the car not run right, but they sure do make the dash light up like christmas.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Battery was replaced 2 months ago. I think it was the GROM unit messing up the CAN.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pulled out the GROM, now I'm back to just the ECM 91B7 code... Is that progress :facepalm: I don't know. I mean the car had a reduced engine performance light for a split second last week. I'm frustrated.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Did you end up pulling the throttle body?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Need to get some gasket maker... And find a known good unit to swap and see... However, I don't feel like taking it out of the XC70...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I wouldn't worry about trying to make a gasket, that stuff is horrid. You can just reuse the metal gasket, I've never had issues in the hundreds I've reused.

Was there a test plan in VIDA for the fault?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't worry about trying to make a gasket, that stuff is horrid. You can just reuse the metal gasket, I've never had issues in the hundreds I've reused.

Was there a test plan in VIDA for the fault?
Yeah. Remove the ETM, clean it, and check the resistance.

It is coming back at startup. I can get the car to run perfectly by clearing the codes in VIDA with the car running. It is also idling smoother even with the code.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm stumped. The ETM potentiometer readouts are fine. However the leakage past the throttle blade seems a little high. I'm also still getting some really weird intermittent CAN errors. I still also have to pull the ETM. Did I mess up installing the GROM enough to toast the ECM or some other CAN module?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Is your ECM the original one? Have you had these ECM errors before?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ECM is original and I've never seen any of these before yesterday. ETM was replaced at 230k miles.

·
Registered
569 Posts
It could be a bad relay on the CEM unit and hope not your CEM starts failing suddenly. In case if you want to check the fuses on the CEM, take a picture before removing any of those for a reference.

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
in your readout the ecm is not communicating on the can bus which may cause many running issues and also u have communication codes set in bcm which is odd that the cem has not flagged any codes.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
in your readout the ecm is not communicating on the can bus which may cause many running issues and also u have communication codes set in bcm which is odd that the cem has not flagged any codes.
Yeah it's pretty weird... I'm thinking CANBUS interference, dirty connector, dirty ETM (can't hurt to check) or a toasted ECM or CEM

1 - 20 of 40 Posts