SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Volvo S60R M66
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need help, Ive been fighting and trying to pin point Ecm-6814 Turbocharger (TC) Control. Signal Too High for months now.
I've tried just about everything.
-Wastegate isn't stuck
-Boost Sensor Replaced
-OTE Pipe O-Ring Replaced
-TCV Swapped
-Smoke tested a million times
-Maf Replaced
-Ran and checked all Parameters on Vida 2x
-Throttle Body Cleaned
-Crankcase Ventilation isn't clogged.
-Bov Diaphragm Replaced

So im curious on two theories. 1.the IPD TCV is causing Ecm-6814 to go off or 2. The BOV thats on the OTE pipe thats venting to atmosphere is causing it and that should be Recirced or swap it all to OEM. I know these cars want to see recirculation but I doubt the BOV would throw that code. I have a boost gauge in the car and I can see its not overboosting or struggle to make/hold boost. It runs great, just get that code thrown and it goes into limp mode...Constantly!

Talked to the past owner who put the BOV on the car and he said it always ran fine and never went into limp mode cause of the BOV.

Any ideas or tips on my next move?

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2004 Volvo S60R M66
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I have seen this problem in the past there was either a problem with the TCV or the wiring to it. You can check the connector and harness. Others can correct me on this, but typically a "high" code for a sensor means it was disconnected or not connected properly. Not all sensors (ie MAF).
Granted I'm not a pro, just what I have experienced before.

Sent from my ECU
I did not know that. Ill give it a look over and test it before I decide to buy another "the right" TCV.

·
Registered
2004 Volvo S60R M66
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check to see if the hoses are connected correctly to the boost control valve. The vac hose will have a red, blue or yellow ring on it. The Boost valve will have the colored dot at each port location. Does the code erase, then return on full boost and go into limp mode? Smoke test the hoses from the boost valve to the turbo. Try a battery reset. Look at ECM1 wiring. 8/28 is the boost valve. Check for 12 volts Green/Gray wire. 7/165 is the boost sensor at the left side of the intercooler outlet tube. A39 on the ECM is the 5 Volt out. A60 on the ECM is ground. The other wires from the sensors to the ECM are the signal or what the sensors are reading. 7/165, check for 5 volts on pin 3, Voilet/White wire. I added the wiring list so that you can see what each number on the diagram is.
That is a lot to take in lol! Definitely something to look into seeing as I have gone over many solutions including TCV hose routing. You're username does not lie!

·
Registered
2004 Volvo S60R M66
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very cool engine bay set up. Though, rather an unfamiliar code, curious as to if you are tuned and it could be related to the tune. I know with a true BOV these cars were built around having a recirculating valve and with this it is releasing metered air rather than "diverting" or "recirculating." ECM-6814 is defined as the relationship between the measured pressure (from the boost pressure sensor) and the calculated boost pressure is greater than a certain value. Sounds more related to the BOV?
Thank you! Thats my main theory behind it but im just super skeptical on if that would throw ECM-6814,
I might just bite the bullet and throw the viva recirc kit on it. Its super pricey but not a fan of that ipd fresh air pipe.

·
Registered
2004 Volvo S60R M66
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Check to see if the hoses are connected correctly to the boost control valve. The vac hose will have a red, blue or yellow ring on it. The Boost valve will have the colored dot at each port location. Does the code erase, then return on full boost and go into limp mode? Smoke test the hoses from the boost valve to the turbo. Try a battery reset. Look at ECM1 wiring. 8/28 is the boost valve. Check for 12 volts Green/Gray wire. 7/165 is the boost sensor at the left side of the intercooler outlet tube. A39 on the ECM is the 5 Volt out. A60 on the ECM is ground. The other wires from the sensors to the ECM are the signal or what the sensors are reading. 7/165, check for 5 volts on pin 3, Voilet/White wire. I added the wiring list so that you can see what each number on the diagram is.
The code pops up the second it leaves vacuum, and goes into limp mode after a couple times it hits full boost

·
Registered
2004 Volvo S60R M66
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good thing that it goes into limp mode when too much boost. This tells us that the boost sensor and system are working as it is designed to. I do not have any idea of the IPD add on and/or how it works. We do know that the IDP parts are not opening the waste gate valve at all or enough, to control over boost. Are you sure that the turbo waste gate, turbo hoses are connected properly? Do you have the Volvo OEM parts to put back on and try. You can get a mityvac from Harbor Freight to test for vacuum and pressure on the turbo boost lines and wastegate valve.
The boost stops building right at 15psi so the wastegate is not seized. And all the hoses go to the correct place. Yellow to wastegate, Red to compressor, Blue to fresh air. I do not have any of the oem parts as its a R ive been restoring and bought from a field in indiana. Swapping and finding everything will be pretty expensive.
I do know there is a slight leak on the fresh air pipe from the sensor which is super common.
Talked to S60RR on instagram and he recommended to recirculate it as it would not need a tune or convert back stock but both options will not be cheap.

·
Registered
2004 Volvo S60R M66
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think that you have the answer. What year is the car? The ECM needs a tune to be able to run on the higher boost pressure. I looked in my VIDA, I can not find the Volvo boost spec. Mabey someone else can post it here. I assume that the Volvo high boost cut out is 15 PSI. Are there any king of settings or adjustments to adjust the boost below 15 PSI to stop the limp mode for now? If you do the ECM tune and Volvo has to perform an ECM update, this will reset the ECM back to factory spec and erase your tune SW.
2004 S60R, my question is what would I do to tune a vented BOV to a MAF based car. Was told it cant be done

·
Registered
2004 Volvo S60R M66
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think that you have the answer. What year is the car? The ECM needs a tune to be able to run on the higher boost pressure. I looked in my VIDA, I can not find the Volvo boost spec. Mabey someone else can post it here. I assume that the Volvo high boost cut out is 15 PSI. Are there any king of settings or adjustments to adjust the boost below 15 PSI to stop the limp mode for now? If you do the ECM tune and Volvo has to perform an ECM update, this will reset the ECM back to factory spec and erase your tune SW.
A ECM update wipes a tune?

·
Registered
2004 Volvo S60R M66
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I just think it’s odd that it runs better without the maf plugged in? I tried to run some parameters on vida but I’m hungry and steaks about done possibly after
If you manage to run some parameters your MAF should idle at 12-14kg/h at operating temp, if it's higher you may have an air leak, or bad MAF

·
Registered
2004 Volvo S60R M66
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Also vida pulled this … because I pulled sensor too low… would that mean my air leak is not between turbo and tb? View attachment 157003
Same code im getting except I have fixed every little air leak on the car, my recommendation is to smoke test it and just keep fault tracing new leaks. B/c you may fix a leak and a new one will arise further. Also if you have aluminum OTE pipe check the O-Ring that sits at the end of the pipe going in to the Inlet of the turbo. If it has a crack or if its try rotted, replace it.
The O-Ring part number is-983891

·
Registered
2004 Volvo S60R M66
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yeah checked the pipe. I don’t know how I missed this when I had the air box out yesterday. Went to clean the bps and look what I see….. View attachment 157019

Volvos can be difficult sometimes. But damn it Ben think simple… right in front of my eyes for 3 days. Oh well…. Lessened learned. She got a cleaning at least
Happens to the best of us man, had a huge crack at the intercooler right by the bypass sensor and I never saw it, sometimes we all overthink.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts