1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently started getting a check engine light with the following:
ECM-640A Inlet camshaft control - slow regulation
ECM-641A Exhaust camshaft control - slow regulation

Cleared the codes, still came back next day.

Checked timing today, all marks are right on.

First time I had the codes it was in limp mode, now the car still has power.

To me, it seems noisy in the valve train, but maybe I am just looking for something to show its face...

I still need to really dig into the wiring harness but from what I can see under the timing cover, the wiring looks okay.

I am currently tuning with Hilton and tune is not quite finished, I did send him the codes but I am not sure if an unfinished tune could cause such codes or not... and he has yet to reply.

Looking for ideas, but also couldn't find anything on this so figured documenting it could help the community....

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil level is good is only has 1500 miles on it.

Currently 123,000 miles on motor, PCV also done at same time as oil change.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Do you know the history of the car? Oil changed on time? Its possible sludge clogged the screens in the gaskets for the CVVT solenoids. It would be pretty unlikely for both to fail at the same time.

Could also be related to the tune but I wouldn't know- we don't deal with that stuff.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The head was recently RnR'd along with all new gaskets throughout. So I am not thinking its clogged up.
Car records are pretty complete as well, though I've only owned it 10k miles.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Not likely clogged then, unless someone used RTV to seal the cam cover instead of the correct anaerobic sealant. It's easy to pop the solenoid off and check the screens.

Could still be a timing issue too. The marks may be aligned but the cams might be slightly off if whoever did the head didn't use the cam lock tools.

Of course see what the tune guy says as well.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not likely clogged then, unless someone used RTV to seal the cam cover instead of the correct anaerobic sealant. It's easy to pop the solenoid off and check the screens.

Could still be a timing issue too. The marks may be aligned but the cams might be slightly off if whoever did the head didn't use the cam lock tools.

Of course see what the tune guy says as well.

Well I got home today and went through the wiring, looks good.

Pulled the exhaust side just because it seems to send a code first and more often, it looked good in there too. Cleared the codes again, scanned with VIDA at idle and the numbers kept bouncing between the two screen shots shown below. Any ideas here? As I am pretty unfamiliar with the concept of what they should be...

Took it for a drive, no check engine yet, also no news from Hilton either, but I suppose I will garage her until I hear back in the case it is the tune...

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Do you have a VVT test available under the advanced tab? I forgot which years had it.
All dual CVVT cars have it.

It's timing, oil quality, or clogged screen... or maybe the cam position sensor bracket things on the end of the camshaft are tweaked somehow.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just pulled the cvvt solenoids out, one screen was a little clogged but not bad at all. Cleaned them all out and put them back in. Car ran fine for 20 miles and the codes came back. Always the exhaust one first, but the intake usually follows.
I just noticed the engine sounds like a diesel, and then cleared right up when I cleared the codes.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the intake test passed but the exhaust failed miserably...

My first question is, is there a way to tell if its the hub? Or should this test failing most likely be the solenoid??
Second question, can I grab a solenoid out of the yard from any p2 turbo car and have it work, or do I need one specifically for an R?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I changed the oil because the spare out of the yard did nothing. And now everything is good. I'm really confused since the oil was only 1500 miles or so, but I had ARD do the change, so who knows what lucky put in there???
Oh well, runs fine now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts