SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is driving me nuts..

I keep getting a random code for camshaft control, exhaust faulty

-i cleaned out he solenoid up top a while back.
-My oil is clean
-and I have good pressure
-The codes is currently yellow in vida, showing that is threw a code, but the solenoid is ok currently

I have a bit of a rough idle lately and am confused on how this codes relates.....

Also, today while driving my boost all of a sudden built extremely slow, all the way to 18lbs and my car was still barely accelerating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thoughts Guys?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Timing belt service recently?

The degree of cam phasing is cold start temp based for the exhaust cam. You could have done some work in warmer weather that wouldn't show until the first cool mornings.
If the ECM wanted only 22 degrees offset in warm weather then all would be fine. When ECM wants 28 degree offset and can only get 26 then you get a code.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Timing belt service recently?

The degree of cam phasing is cold start temp based for the exhaust cam. You could have done some work in warmer weather that wouldn't show until the first cool mornings.
If the ECM wanted only 22 degrees offset in warm weather then all would be fine. When ECM wants 28 degree offset and can only get 26 then you get a code.
Indeed, but also start with what you know. You may still need a new solenoid.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I don't get your response Drummer. The code sets for lack of achievement of the desired position. It is not a code for a failed solenoid winding which is a more direct indication of the solenoid. The ECM has no feedback sensor to check solenoid function directly.
I asked my question just to be sure some other easy causes were ruled out.

Was the gasket for solenoid removed and inspected or replaced? It contains a filter to keep debris out of solenoid and if it is obstructed that can cause this code.

Usually more fault tracing is a better idea than throwing parts hoping one of them fixes the issue. At least that is what we would like our service departments to do.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't get your response Drummer. The code sets for lack of achievement of the desired position. It is not a code for a failed solenoid winding which is a more direct indication of the solenoid. The ECM has no feedback sensor to check solenoid function directly.
I asked my question just to be sure some other easy causes were ruled out.

Was the gasket for solenoid removed and inspected or replaced? It contains a filter to keep debris out of solenoid and if it is obstructed that can cause this code.

Usually more fault tracing is a better idea than throwing parts hoping one of them fixes the issue. At least that is what we would like our service departments to do.

Ya about one month ago, i removed and cleaned both solenoids and replaced with new gaskets.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Ya about one month ago, i removed and cleaned both solenoids and replaced with new gaskets.
Which is what I recommended to you when you first mentioned this problem in another thread IIRC. So, no @Cattle, I'm not suggesting anyone "throw" parts at the problem.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which is what I recommended to you when you first mentioned this problem in another thread IIRC. So, no @Cattle, I'm not suggesting anyone "throw" parts at the problem.
my maf might be dying to.....my short term fuel trims are going bonkers and my idle is rough lol. Checking for leaks next week _---_

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Let us know what you find. try unplugging the MAF while it's running/misbehaving* and see if it improves.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let us know what you find. try unplugging the MAF while it's running/misbehaving* and see if it improves.
i unplugged the maf and not much happened lol......IF anything is was a tiny tiny tiny bit smoother.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I see. I have seen plenty of cars that had a MAF issue run noticeably better as soon as the MAF was unplugged. Was just a simple diagnostic trick before really digging into codes etc.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see. I have seen plenty of cars that had a MAF issue run noticeably better as soon as the MAF was unplugged. Was just a simple diagnostic trick before really digging into codes etc.
I'm swapping out with another R tomorrow and seeing how it runs with the maf sensor.....

Now on a complete side note, someways related.....

WOT in third brought my fuel pressure up to 80lbs!!!!!!!! I justtttt changed my fps.

Is this in anyway correlated to anything?!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I'm swapping out with another R tomorrow and seeing how it runs with the maf sensor.....

WOT in third brought my fuel pressure up to 80lbs!!!!!!!! I justtttt changed my fps.

It is normal for the fuel pressure to rise above the standard 58 psi (absolute) when the engine load increases beyond a certain point, so what you've observed wrt a higher fuel pressure at WOT is normal.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Doubt this has anything to do with the MAF...

If you still have easy access to VIDA/DICE, you can run the camshaft test on the intake and exhaust sides. Basically when the test runs, you rev to 2500 RPM and the ECU takes the cams slowly through their whole variable range and you get a chart plotted that shows desired and actual. They should line up pretty well, but if something is wrong, the actual wont stay close enough to desired and you'll get codes thrown occasionally.

My car is actually doing this right now, however I have noticed no loss of power or any other performance issue, just the codes (30-60% yellow light range, like yours) and the test shows almost like a sine wave effect of the actual position around the desired position.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

Possibly. Like I've said before, and I just went through it a month ago, I was getting codes for the FPS (that I knew was fine as I'd replaced it less than a year ago) and the next link in the chain was the PEM. Replaced PEM and codes could be cleared and not return. Mine was mounted externally on the tank and when I opened it up, a 1/2 cup of sand/debris/corrosion fell out and the board had some burnt contacts.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Possibly. Like I've said before, and I just went through it a month ago, I was getting codes for the FPS (that I knew was fine as I'd replaced it less than a year ago) and the next link in the chain was the PEM. Replaced PEM and codes could be cleared and not return. Mine was mounted externally on the tank and when I opened it up, a 1/2 cup of sand/debris/corrosion fell out and the board had some burnt contacts.
Ya My volvo guy said mine is corroded beyond belief...and should be replaced asap....im hopiing it can wait a bit lol

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Swapped out PEMS. PEM is good. Swapped out maf. Maf is good.

Boost leak?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have the same problem right now. were you able to fix this?

·
Registered
725 Posts
did you have CEL when u had this? i dont have cel, i just happen to scan the car for other problems but then this error showed up too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts