SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my check eng light pops on. I swing over to my Santa Monica, ca volvo dealer to see what's up. They have it from 7 am on. At 6:40 ( yeah 15 min ago) they call me back and say my coils are causing a mis fire. I think, hey, it's plausible. But wait, I just remember I have the spiffy new IPD HD coils with the cool blue stem on them. Could it really be that these are causing a misfire? I mean, they've been on for over a year AND THER'RE BLUE....AND THEY'RE 'HD' for cryin out loud! I mean come on, that's a winning combo.

My spidey sense starts to fire and I remember that I was there just a week prior.... for the SAME code!! They did this cool sounding 'leak-down' test which, after half a day, confirms the 'leaky' status of my sweet 2.5T. Not being one to be tooling around town with leaky valves, I get it fixed. After all, who wants to be the only jacka$$ hanging out with leaky valves!! No sir, NOT ME, that's for sure.

Now, I'm not saying my SANTA MONICA, CA dealer isn't on the up and up..... (maybe). But, one might question the troubleshooting skill ( if not the $ motive ). I mean, it's difficult to choose between the two when they quote me $1,200 for a brake job (rotors and pad both front and back) OR when they quote $1,100 to replace the coils at 6 HOURS OF LABOR!!!!!! Far be it from me to cast doubt on their integrity. I mean, yes, it only took me 45 min to put the IPD coils on...and it was my first time.... but hey, maybe I just got lucky and figured out the fast way to do it. Yeah... just maybe.

So, my dilemma (sarcasm aside...a little) : Figuring out did they scru me on the valve job or are they just trying to do it now to cover for a bad valve job..... OR are they right on and I just need to accept the fact the 'blue' parts, while cool looking, may be 'hazardous' to my 90's health ? decisions decisions.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. anyone know where I can score a set of coils ? heh.....

·
Registered
668 Posts
The 2.5 is known to be sensitive to spark plugs. Did you use volvo spark plugs when you did the coils? How much did they charge you for a valve job?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's tricky to answer... Not because I don't know but because a rather healthy sum was involved. I guess it's too late for modesty now. So, yes, I used a volvo branded 5 pack of plugs when I put on the HD coils , which the dealer replaced last week. I should mention the CE light was off during the interval between picking up my 90 and this monday... about 7 days. As for how much they charged me, that's tricky. I had them throw in a timing belt job since the heads were off at no additional cost to the original.......quote. Let's just say it was somewhere between $2,999 and #3,001. My independent guy quoted $2,200 but could not commit to having it done on the schedule I needed it by.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I tell the dealer to pack up my XC and I pick it up this morning. No work done. They gave me a part number for the coils. They were happy to sell them to me for $101 each but I decided I'll just go IPD or FCP for the oem part which is around $53 per.... Strangely, no CEL since I picked it up. How about that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts