SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening Folks,

I have the following weird issue.
DTC ECM-2100 Fuel pressure sensor signal too low logged. The car had few times, when it was struggling from cold start. Cleared the error via VIDA, also pulled the fuse 6 & 23. Regardless of the woodoo I carried out, the error kept coming back. I had the new FPS on hand and while replacing it, noticed there was nearly no fuel coming trough the release valve, also to mention only small amount was in the fuel rail too. Probably due to the car was just started and drove into the garage (5 meters). Anyway, put everything back with the new FPS installed and started the car. MIL was still there till the 3rd start and then disappeared without clearing the code in VIDA.
Self healing? I've never seen that. Kept the engine running for a while, then ignition off. Repeated this 4 more times, no error. At 5th time the MIL came back. WTF? VIDA said it's my old friend the ECM 2100. Cleared the code, restarted 5 times, the MIL was lit again with the ECM 2100 logged. Pulled the fuses, error gone, then drove the car for 15km, error back again after stop and re-start. While drove the car, noticed it was pulling very hard (means kinda got another 50 extra horse from somewhere feeling) like never before even on standard mode with no S mode selected on the outo-box. Hmm what's happening here, maybe I really had a bad FPS, but then why the same error keeps coming back? Today I drove to work as usual, the car felt still strong with the extra horses while the MIL was still on. During lunch time I went out to the parking lot and started turning the ignition on and off. After the 3rd on-off sequence I heard the electric fuel pump noise from the back and once started the car the error was gone again. The MIL no longer lit and it did not come back since! (probably 20 or so restart since) I need to mention here, once I heard the electric noise from the pump, realised this 'friendly buzzing' was missing in the past week or so, however the car was still running fine.
Do I have an intermittent fault in the pump or is it clogged?
Fuel filter replaced a month ago and the FPS yesterday evening.
What else it could be? Fuse/relay?

·
Registered
407 Posts
This basically happened to me about 2 weeks ago. After I replaced my crankshaft position sensor I got ECM 212C and 21EC which are also fuel related. It seemed odd but my car kept struggling to start intermittently so I reset the fuses and let it sit overnight (don't have vida yet). Now after ~50 miles of driving it worked itself out. Still gonna check with vida what may be wrong. Based on what's happening to you either the car fixed itself (I've read quite a few occurences of this happening with people's caRs) or you have an intermittently failing fuel pump. It may be clogged or on its way out, but you should check the lines going from the tank to see if any are cracked or the pump may be on its way out.

Lots of weird crap happens with electronics on these and sometimes they just work themselves out.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Check the condition of the FPS connector, pins and related wires. If all that looks good and you have a fresh filter there could be pump or controller issues. The controller is under the car near the real wheel so its not unusual for corrosion and water intrusion to start making them fail in strange ways.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The FPS connector seems to be fine, no signs of cracks or corrosion or anything. My mechanic said, when he replaced the fuel filter some really dirty stuff was coming out. He suspected it haven't been replaced ever. Will check that controller too. Would it be possible to seal the controller, that no water or anything gets into it? Loads of rain here. (now wonder it's Ireland hahahahahh) Spoke to my friend at the dealership, the pump is on back-order till the 18th of Nov and cost 340EUR. Is there any aftermarket pump available? FCP EURO seems to be cheaper, however I don't know anything about possible custom duty. Will check skandix.de as well.

Everything seems to be fine still, no MIL lit, car pulls like hell and still can hear the noise from the pump area. The noise got little-bit weaker compared to yesterday, but still lasts around 1.5 or 2 sec.
Also thinking about the battery. What should be the standard voltage without charging? Once the car runs VIDA shows 14v as far as I remember. Without charging its 11.x. I have no idea when the PO replaced the battery. It is a Bosch unit, not the factory one with Volvo sticker on it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:
The car still runs fine, no error or MIL lit since Tue afternoon.
VIDA shows the pump duty cycle is 39% which is within the allowed 35% +/- 5% on idle.
Pressure at the FPS varies between 398-400 kpa on idle. (Measured with VIDA)
Haven't had a chance to look at the controller (PEM) under the car.

I still need some advice here as don't want to spend money on something which is good/working.
Go for the Pump anyway as it will fail some stage or leave it?

skandix.de has a separate Fuel feed unit:
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...system/pumps/fuel-feed-unit-electric/1053793/
and the pump:
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...n/fuel-supply-system/pumps/fuel-pump/1036024/

Do I need both or just the fuel feed unit

while FCP Euro has this:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-fuel-pump-assembly-s60r-v70r-30761744

Which one shall I go with?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts