SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 bulbs out within my electronic climate control (ECC) panel. I took off the knobs and could not find how that guy is attached to the center dash. (figured that there would have been some screws ect.) I pulled the radio and still could not find a reasonable method of removal to change these burned bulbs. Can anybody help me out here before I break something. Also, how about the switches like the tracs and sun roof. Can they be re-lamped reasonably? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
From what I have been hearing, when bulbs start to burn out on the dash, most owners take their cars to the dealer and have all the bulbs replaced. The bulbs themselves are really cheap. The labor involved in taking apart the dashboard is the only expensive part, around $80 if I remember correctly. Since they have to remove the dash, it is smart to request to have all of them changed, then you will not have to worry about it for another couple of years. The stereo on the other hand is another matter, they are inside of the unit itself, and I think they are usually reconditioned if this happens.

-Drew

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scooter, Once I removed the knobs from the ECC I looked all around. I saw nothing. I was told by the dealer that there are two different types of ECC. It appears that I have the "other" one. Just for grins and laughs though, tell me again where you found those screws. I may have had selective vision and only saw what I think I wanted to see.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the outside temp. goes above the current 14 deg(F) , I will have to go and take a look. Thanks for checking, you get an "A" for effort in my book.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scooter, well after a long day at work I decided to rip into the ECC. The one that I have does not have any screws in the front at all. Instead the whole unit comes out of the dash via a lot of pressure from behind and then voila! It's out
There are four phillips screws on the sides that allow the front display to be sepperated from the metal housing. There were several wires to contend with, but the lamps were socketted and easy to replace once in. While the car was gutted, I looked at my switches (sunroof, info, defrost, tracs, ect.) and have found a reasonable method of retrofit using LED's to replace my dead lamps. Prior to today I did not even know that they were backlit, much to my displeasure. Any how, progress is looking good for the most part. I am in the process of making some LED retrofit bulbs for other trouble areas such as the radio, dash board, and shift/gear indicators. Nice part here is I can use green LED's and the end result will be much like the power window controls, just brighter. I am thinking about selling direct repalcements with LED's instead of incadesent bulbs in the near future. Anybody interested that you know of? The cost will be minimal and I will offer colors such as blue, cool white, green, yellow, red, and orange. I can even make infared models if anyone would like to do something different and useless.
Well, finally, thanks for the help. Your imput helped out a great deal.

Prospero

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is still Scooter, but I decided to change my username to be common with the VWVortex site which I joined today. (someone there already named Scooter, oh well)

Glad to hear you found your way into the ECC without tearing anything up. That's always a good feeling.

As for the LED's, I had the same idea a month ago, only with incandescent radio lights (not LED's) since no plug-in replacements are available. I was even thinking about springing for an injection mold for the plastic sockets. I ran some numbers and figured I could break even after selling the first 200 repair kits (6 lights each kit, $20/kit) But I've got bigger distractions right now, not enough energy to pursue this one too.

As for marketing, you might see if IPD would be interested, but you'd probably need a good business plan to convince them you're serious. Otherwise, you might just hang-out a shingle on the web. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Farmboy/scooter...sweet idea. I am going to search for the vendor that makes the lamp holders. I already have access to perfect sized and voltage LEDs. Actually, this was all part of a long term project for me at work. I had to replace all incadescent bulbs with LED's once I sold corporate on the advantages of never having to relamp again. Needless to say, I have spent enough to buy a new C60 and then some doing this. Thank God for corporate money.
Any how, I am going to make enough to completely retrofit my 850 and Accord and then take it from there. Cool idea about IPD, I will first try the Volvo related sites just to get a feel for marketability. If enough people want the LED's, I will go to IPD. Would you be interested in being a "test subject"?

Prospero

·
Registered
20 Posts
I appreciate the offer Prospero, but I think I'll pass as a test subject this time. I really like the stock appearance of my dash lighting (now that I have it all working), but I think the blue/red combo like the new VW's would be very cool. I'm sure there would be lot of interest out there for this (I noticed from your other post that George wanted to see it). In fact, this seems to be a desirable mod for older Golf/Jetta from what I read at the VWVortex Golf/Jetta III forum. They go so far as to replace their existing instrument panel with one from a late mod cabrio to get this effect. Seems kind of expensive when compared with the $30 for your kit. Anyway, I'd say keep pursuing the idea.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand the desire to keep your stock dash look, that is how this started. I will be offering white and green LED kits as well as the red and blue. I have done the green in my switches for the moment and the look is completely stock. In fact you already have LED backlights in your power window switches. The kit I am making will make all of the switches look like that. The blues and reds will of course enhance the look, but the original idea was to elliminate the need to replace dash lights all the time. As far as the VW's, they will have to come later on since the budget is still quite small for now. Thanks for the help, I won't forget it. Now, for me it is back to work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts