SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well while attempting to repair my wheel bearing i noticed that my ebrake shoes are delaminating. I do need to use my car this weekend though so would it be okay to take them off and run with no ebrake until I get my new ebrake shoes?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
How are you going to park an MT without the hand Brake?

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Bite the bullet and buy a set from the dealer.

You could carry a cement block around and use it to block the wheel when you park. :facepalm::facepalm:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Bite the bullet and buy a set from the dealer.

You could carry a cement block around and use it to block the wheel when you park. :facepalm::facepalm:
Lmao...

Leave it in gear, point the wheels to the curb or away depending on the slope. You know like in driving class theory. You might risk CURB RASH!

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Lmao...

Leave it in gear, point the wheels to the curb or away depending on the slope. You know like in driving class theory. You might risk CURB RASH!
Not always an option in an open car park. LOL forget curb rash, find it rolled into a ditch, front bumper hung over a concrete barrier, or worse, rolling away into a pickup.

To OP, I would suggest some JB Weld and plenty of it as a temporary solution while you wait for your new shoes... it should hold those brakes together for the time being, and much better than having them explode or having your car roll away because some douche kicked away the brick.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just did my first brake job this week (at 116K). So glad I decided to purchase the p-brake shoes. I hardly ever use it so I was hesitant to buy them. Found the originals were falling apart. Luckily my neighbor is a mechanic and figured out how to get them off and the new ones on

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i mean i usually park without the hand brake because I always park on a level surface in the parking garage. I was just wondering if it would be okay to just take off the shoes and run without them for a couple days. Did not know if anything else was required to do this. But looks like I can.

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,416 Posts
i have been running with only one e-brake since mine exploded on me and took a part that holds the shoes and springs in place....

I havent tried to order the part from the site in sweden yet that might fix it

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Yes, some folks run full time without the shoes in the e-brake with no problems aside from the obvious. Should just get a set from your dealer's parts department. I find that any savings getting smaller items by mail order is taken up by shipping costs.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
You'll be fine to run without them. Just avoid inclines. I wouldn't bother with repairing old ones while you are waiting for new parts.

Good advice to use parking brake, you don't want compression being the only thing keeping your car from flying into something.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
You'll be fine to run without them. Just avoid inclines. I wouldn't bother with repairing old ones while you are waiting for new parts.

Good advice to use parking brake, you don't want compression being the only thing keeping your car from flying into something.
+1...found that out quickly lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts