Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this work to install a bov? It apparently comes with a blow off valve

Look at this on eBay:

2.5'' Aluminum FMIC Intercooler Piping Kit + Purple Type-RS Turbo Blow Off Bov

http://bit.ly/H65OhQ

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
i think if it does work you have to somehow need to weld a spot for the map sensor on this intercooler...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, but that's pretty much all that has to be done right?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
It doesn't include the FMIC - does It ?

Is there a Pic of what's in the Kit for the - C30 ?

Like ( How many Pcs. ? )

Looks more like a bunch of Pcs. , so there will be Cutting and smoothing . If all that Pipe comes in that Kit , as Pictured .

You'd have enough to do the Turbo Exit Pipe also . ( Welding needed for that pc. )

Ask what Gauge Material ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not for a specific car.. It's a universal fmic, and it's not brand name so there pretty low cost

·
Registered
484 Posts
Tube and fin design, same as factory. stay away as it probably wont make any difference. Look for bar and plate design.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I was just looking at it so I can do a bov

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If you're just looking to do a bov, why not keep the stock piping, cut a section out and do something like this? Is there no room?

The stock bpv/bov has always bothered me. To my understanding, a Bpv/bov is most efficient when it is closest to the throttle body.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you do that yourself? Good idea

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Nope, just a quick google search of "bov pipe", if you're looking for more inspiration. I have seen it many times though.

And with regards to the sensor on the FMIC (I thought it was IAT, not MAP, but either way) I was thinking that I we could get a hold of the plates that bell uses on their intercoolers, one could weld it up to their intercooler. I doubt they'll be okay with it considering the possibility to lessen sales of complete IC's. Do we have a direct contact to Bell Intercoolers here?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's also a good idea, or even take the one off of the factory intercooler?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just order an jdm intercooler kit of ebay with all the piping im gonna have a piece of 1/2 inch thick aluminum welded on one side of the intercooler for the iat to be mounted to when i get it done i will post a pic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Not to thread jack but.....

Well for the BOV, I am going with one of these. I have heard good things and no reports of issues yet. Why not give it a try. They have them in multiple sizes and colors if thats your thing.

Of course that will work nicely with this,

The IC may go in this weekend if I figure out this misfire issue. Tube and plate, bar and fin, doen't really matter as long as the core is sized for your expected flow rates. I have made LOTS of power on both types. Great idea on the 1/2" alloy bar welded to the core. That way you can drill and tap when you are ready. Ill do the same.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The IC may go in this weekend if I figure out this misfire issue. Tube and plate, bar and fin, doen't really matter as long as the core is sized for your expected flow rates. I have made LOTS of power on both types. Great idea on the 1/2" alloy bar welded to the core. That way you can drill and tap when you are ready. Ill do the same.
So I think the 1/2" alloy bar is a great idea, but I ended up just drilling into the IC and tapping a second threaded hole for the mounting screw. Applied a little thread sealant and it has been working great. However my power goals are not as thirsty as yours.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Isnt the seal on the pressure sensor made by an O ring? Did you use some RTV silicone or something or was it just the right thickness?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Im having a plate welded to the intercooler that i drilled a hole threw into the intercooler and drilled a 5/32 hole and tapped it to a 10-32 screw to fasten the sensor down

I didnt get the intercooler in the mail yet to have that plate welded to it

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not to thread jack but.....

Well for the BOV, I am going with one of these. I have heard good things and no reports of issues yet. Why not give it a try. They have them in multiple sizes and colors if thats your thing.

Of course that will work nicely with this,

And if im not mistaken in order to fit the intercooler in your pic your gonna have to cut alot off your impact brace behind the bumper

·
Registered
207 Posts

This will give u an idea on how much you would have to cut out. This would really affect the structural integrity of the front end

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
And if im not mistaken in order to fit the intercooler in your pic your gonna have to cut alot off your impact brace behind the bumper

Yup, im cutting the crash bar to fit the IC. This is really common for people with other makes. However, it is possible to move the radiator mounts back slightly to give a bit more space but what a pain that would be.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It would be a big pain i bought my s40 totaled the whole front end was gone i have pic of it in one of my threads. The rad an ac condenser are in one plastic mount they would be very hard to move back since there is limited space there already and the plastic mount it is in breaks very easy. If you do go for this i would like to see pics of the project

1 - 20 of 44 Posts