SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently bought a DICE unit on ebay and had a really good experience with it. It ships from Lithuania from a guy who works on Volvos himself. He includes help/support if you run into trouble installing it. You shouldn't need it though because he has made it extremely easy to install and get it up and running. I was able to do so in about a half hour. He has you install a virtual machine with VIDA already installed. He provides some really clear instructions on how to do all of that. Everything you need to do that is included on the CD he gives you or you can download it from a link he gives you.

Here's the link: http://r.ebay.com/6lbKIU - 2014D HQ Volvo Vida Dice Diagnostics, green PCB,EWD, ships from Europe + video

I thought I'd share this as I have seen so many threads about people having trouble installing VIDA or people getting bad DICE units. I'm pretty proficient with PCs and am totally capable of installing VIDA on a virtual machine or installing an old copy of Windows 7 to get this running manually but this guy's set up just makes it so much easier and faster.

Definitely check it out if you've been wanting to buy a DICE unit but were intimidated by the horror stories.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Good info! I did the Alibaba route and it installed well on a fresh Win7 install on a dedicated laptop. It definitely can be temperamental if you don't follow the directions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think I bought mine from this guy and can attest to its relative simplicity to get set up and working. The VM approach really is good if minorly clunky. You do have to make sure you hand-off the USB devices between the main system and VM, but it is easy and instructions are provided.

If you are not so saavy at this kind of thing and value your time, definitely consider this option.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You probably could run it on an older PC but I'm not sure. It more depends on the hardware of the machine youre running this on, just making sure it's got a decent amount of RAM and a decent processor. The way his works is you install VMware which allows you to run a virtualized windows 7 pc inside of your existing computer no matter what the operating system you have is. It sounds complicated but it's really straight forward he gives you everything you need to do it and the instructions are really clear. He's done a lot of the technical leg work already so the set up is very straight forward.

You could take your chances with a cheaper one but in his ebay listing, he has a whole bunch of pictures describing the quality difference with his unit versus the cheaper ones so I guess it's up to you. For me, its worth the $100 more so that I'm not wasting a bunch of time being frustrated if I hit road blocks and also so that I have the piece of mind that his unit is probably one of the highest quality DICE knockoffs out there.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
You probably could run it on an older PC but I'm not sure. It more depends on the hardware of the machine youre running this on, just making sure it's got a decent amount of RAM and a decent processor. The way his works is you install VMware which allows you to run a virtualized windows 7 pc inside of your existing computer no matter what the operating system you have is. It sounds complicated but it's really straight forward he gives you everything you need to do it and the instructions are really clear. He's done a lot of the technical leg work already so the set up is very straight forward.

You could take your chances with a cheaper one but in his ebay listing, he has a whole bunch of pictures describing the quality difference with his unit versus the cheaper ones so I guess it's up to you. For me, its worth the $100 more so that I'm not wasting a bunch of time being frustrated if I hit road blocks and also so that I have the piece of mind that his unit is probably one of the highest quality DICE knockoffs out there.
I'll have to send him some questions about what I have and whether he thinks it will work. I'm also going to see if I can't find a cheap Win 7 machine. Thanks for all the info.

EDIT: I'd missed his line - "Pre-installed VIDA runs on any system win xp/vista/7/8/10, MACOS 32/64bit . PC must have 17GB free disk space and at least 1GB of RAM is recommended."

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I feel reassured as I just purchased from this seller and the unit is currently en route from Lithuania. I also just bought a laptop with a fresh install of Windows 7 to use as a dedicated VIDA/DICE machine. I used to be half computer savvy, but it's good to know that he offers support if I run into trouble. Just to be clear, I won't need to run VMware with Windows 7, correct?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I have wanted to set up VIDA for years but have been frightened off by all of the technical difficulties I have read about on the forum (I am a casual computer user and have minimum knowledge of how to set stuff up).

Any thoughts on processor speed needed for this to work effectively? I have a couple of older laptops that I never considered using for this since they didn't have Pro versions of the OS installed, but maybe they would work with this?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Really good info here. I have been eyeing these for a while. Just placed my order.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I bought mine here as well and can attest that it's ridiculously easy to set up and works flawlessly. Worth spending the little bit extra IMHO. PM the user on here (He has an ad in the misc. classifieds section) for a slight discount as well.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for posting this. I feel reassured as I just purchased from this seller and the unit is currently en route from Lithuania. I also just bought a laptop with a fresh install of Windows 7 to use as a dedicated VIDA/DICE machine. I used to be half computer savvy, but it's good to know that he offers support if I run into trouble. Just to be clear, I won't need to run VMware with Windows 7, correct?
You don't need a dedicated computer to run this. Using VMware takes the place of needing a dedicated system. In your case, having a windows 7 laptop, you could install Vida right in that OS but tbh this guys way of doing it us VMware is so easy and quick its probably the way to go for anybody trying to do this. Can use your existing laptop as long as it meets those requirements stated in the eBay page which pretty much any computer these days meets.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for posting this! I have wanted to set up VIDA for years but have been frightened off by all of the technical difficulties I have read about on the forum (I am a casual computer user and have minimum knowledge of how to set stuff up).

Any thoughts on processor speed needed for this to work effectively? I have a couple of older laptops that I never considered using for this since they didn't have Pro versions of the OS installed, but maybe they would work with this?
I would just use the most recent/most powerful laptop you have. With his method of installing Vida in a virtual machine using VMware, you don't need a dedicated PC. I'm using my 4 year old lenovo t420 which has a dual core 2.5ghz i5 with 8gb of ram and an ssd boot disk. Never tried running this on anything worse but I wouldn't accept a computer any slower than this as being usable at all lol. I build PCs for my friends and family and use my custom PC very heavily for video editing and can't have anything sluggish otherwise it drives me nuts haha. I'm sure an older laptop could run it though. You're just running internet explorer inside a virtual machine.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Does anyone actually have this working on VMWare? I tried using another virtual machine product and it would not properly recognize the hardware via its USB emulation.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone actually have this working on VMWare? I tried using another virtual machine product and it would not properly recognize the hardware via its USB emulation.
Yep I do.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can give you the files if you want.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Which files are you offering? PM might be best since I assume not all of this may satisfy the EULA, lol.
Ehem ehem uhhh what files... I don't know what you're talking about...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Correct, no need for VM Ware, or any virtual machine. If you install Win 7 fresh, that allows you to make sure you don't accidentally load I.E. 10. I believe 9 is what it likes.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Correct, no need for VM Ware, or any virtual machine. If you install Win 7 fresh, that allows you to make sure you don't accidentally load I.E. 10. I believe 9 is what it likes.

Uh, this sounds like it's getting back into that scary area for me. What if my computer already has IE10 installed?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts