SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,
My S80 T6 was nearing 80,000 miles and was overdue for a transmission fluid change. Sorry I did not take any photos.
I flushed my 6 speed transmission using the lower transmission cooler line. These are the steps I took to replace the fluid. There is no need to remove the lower drain plug if you follow these steps.

1. Obtain 12 quarts of 3309 Mobil transmission fluid (I ordered this from Amazon)
2. Get the IPS transmission flush kit with the poly tubing (I used this previously on my 2004 XC70)
3. Place the car on ramps.
4. Remove the air filter cover, filter and lower air filter housing
5. Remove the transmission fluid fill plug (will need a large torx head (T55)) and insert a funnel with a long tube into the transmission fill hole (I obtained this from IPD)
6. Replace the items from step 4 (since you will need to operate the car)
7. Remove the lower engine splash cover
8. Remove the transmission return line (lower hose attached to the corner of the transmission housing) by removing the small bolt and pulling out the return line
9. Pay attention to the o-ring on the transmission line (the plastic line and the metal body will not seal fluids without this o ring)
10. Plug the poly tubing onto the end of the transmission line (the poly tubing from IPD made a good seal with the transmission return line)
11.Place the poly tubing into empty gallon container and start the car in park. About 2.5 quarts will come out until fluid is mixed with air (turn off ignition immediately if you see any air) (fill in 1 quart amounts if you do not want the pump to cavitate)
12. Add 2.5 quarts into the transmission using the funnel (see step 5) with the ignition off
13. Iterate steps 11 and 12 until all twelve quarts have been used up
14. If you kept track of the amount that came out and replace this with the same amount of fresh fluid, you should not have to check the level
15. Check the level by removing the transmission level plug (at the center of the transmission drain plug) (this should be performed with the car level and with the transmission fluid hot)

·
Registered
462 Posts
All,
My S80 T6 was nearing 80,000 miles and was overdue for a transmission fluid change. Sorry I did not take any photos.
I flushed my 6 speed transmission using the lower transmission cooler line. These are the steps I took to replace the fluid. There is no need to remove the lower drain plug if you follow these steps.

1. Obtain 12 quarts of 3309 Mobil transmission fluid (I ordered this from Amazon)
2. Get the IPS transmission flush kit with the poly tubing (I used this previously on my 2004 XC70)
3. Place the car on ramps.
4. Remove the air filter cover, filter and lower air filter housing
5. Remove the transmission fluid fill plug (will need a large torx head (T55)) and insert a funnel with a long tube into the transmission fill hole (I obtained this from IPD)
6. Replace the items from step 4 (since you will need to operate the car)
7. Remove the lower engine splash cover
8. Remove the transmission return line (lower hose attached to the corner of the transmission housing) by removing the small bolt and pulling out the return line
9. Pay attention to the o-ring on the transmission line (the plastic line and the metal body will not seal fluids without this o ring)
10. Plug the poly tubing onto the end of the transmission line (the poly tubing from IPD made a good seal with the transmission return line)
11.Place the poly tubing into empty gallon container and start the car in park. About 2.5 quarts will come out until fluid is mixed with air
12. Add 2.5 quarts into the transmission using the funnel (see step 5)
13. Iterate steps 11 and 12 until all twelve quarts have been used up
14. If you kept track of the amount that came out and replace this with the same amount of fresh fluid, you should not have to check the level
15. Check the level by removing the transmission level plug (at the center of the transmission drain plug) (this should be performed with the car level and with the transmission fluid hot)
IMHO Concerning Step #11: NEVER allow the transmission oil pump to cavitate (run out of fluid) as this is very bad for the pump! If you follow Volvo's directions, they pump out less volume between fills than that for this very reason. It will only take slighter longer to do but it won't cause possible damage to your transmission oil pump.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whiz,
Thanks for the correction. I edited my original post due to your response. I flushed my 2004 xc70 using the gibbons method and in those instructions the fluid is pumped until one sees air mixed with the fluid. The ignition is turned off immediately when one perceives air in the line. I do not have any issues with my xc70 transmission after the above procedure, but I could have lucked out.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Don't forget to reset the fluid counter using VIDA/DICE after you change the fluid... otherwise the TCM will think you still have old fluid and perform shifts/etc accordingly...!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Don't forget to reset the fluid counter using VIDA/DICE after you change the fluid... otherwise the TCM will think you still have old fluid and perform shifts/etc accordingly...!
Sorry but what? The TCM will shift poorly thinking it has old fluid in it? My knowledge of how the TF-SC80 actually operates using the oil pressures and stuff is very limited but I could imagine that old contaminated fluid could "learn" the gearbox to shift worse over time leaving the shift quality benefits of a flush unseen... if that's what you're saying?

On a side note, isn't the adaption supposed to be reset as well?

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Sorry but what? The TCM will shift poorly thinking it has old fluid in it? My knowledge of how the TF-SC80 actually operates using the oil pressures and stuff is very limited but I could imagine that old contaminated fluid could "learn" the gearbox to shift worse over time leaving the shift quality benefits of a flush unseen... if that's what you're saying?

On a side note, isn't the adaption supposed to be reset as well?
Yes, the TCM monitors the "aging" of fluid, particularly a count of how many times the transmission fluid exceeds a particular temperature. It adjusts the physical shifting behavior based on the estimated aging/deterioration of the fluid. This is how these things go way past 200K miles on original fluid just fine (usually).

So you need to reset it when you put in new fluid.

Oh, also note that the "refill with the same volume you drain" assumes no fluid has ever leaked out. Most likely you're ending up under-filling with this method.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yes, the TCM monitors the "aging" of fluid, particularly a count of how many times the transmission fluid exceeds a particular temperature. It adjusts the physical shifting behavior based on the estimated aging/deterioration of the fluid. This is how these things go way past 200K miles on original fluid just fine (usually).

So you need to reset it when you put in new fluid.

Oh, also note that the "refill with the same volume you drain" assumes no fluid has ever leaked out. Most likely you're ending up under-filling with this method.
Agreed. Use the Volvo method of checking the "overfill" port on the main drain plug (kinda smart how they did this). Just follow the Volvo directions here as the fluid level should be checked when it is at a specific temperature range. VIDA can monitor this while also being able to reset the counter in the TCM.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All,
I do not (yet) have a VIDA DICE unit and did not reset the counter in the TCM after changing the transmission fluid. The transmission fluid that came out after 78,000 miles was brown in color. I have felt one slight shift flare when accelerating hard from a stop. My wife who is the DD noted that the shift flares were more frequent just after the fluid was changed. The shift flares are getting less frequent over time. If I drive gently, I do not have shift flares. I have ordered a DICE unit from Darius and it should arrive in a couple of weeks from today.
I flushed the 5 speed transmission in my 2004 XC70 without resetting the TCM, but I did not notice any shift flares after changing the fluid. The XC70 shifts without any flares.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Isn't brown transmission fluid a sign of heavy wear or even it being somewhat burnt? Isn't it pink-ish when it's new?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All,
I had slow up shifts without the adaptation and oil counter being reset. I obtained a visa dice unit from Darius which came with a VMware file so that I did not have to install Vida directly. The Vida dice unt cost about $200 shipped but it did have the VMware image option which makes the installation much easier.

My shifts are much smoother now after resetting the oil counter and initiating the adaptation sequence for new oil. Both items must be done with the key in position II without the engine turned on.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm approaching my 75,000 mile service and am considering this trans fluid flush but I truly wonder if it's worth the effort and expense. I think I'm going to keep this car long-term but you never know....

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I still think transmission flushes are a good preventative measure to take. I do acknowledge warpedcow saying that if a fluid is changed after a long time it might cause more problem than it'd solve, but in that case a flush probably is way overdue to begin with. It might even take two flushes some short time apart to get all the debris and gunk (or what-ever builds up) out.

At 75000 miles it'll at worst help the lifetime of the gearbox and at best it'll do good for the shift speed and quality.

·
Registered
462 Posts
All,
I had slow up shifts without the adaptation and oil counter being reset. I obtained a visa dice unit from Darius which came with a VMware file so that I did not have to install Vida directly. The Vida dice unt cost about $200 shipped but it did have the VMware image option which makes the installation much easier.

My shifts are much smoother now after resetting the oil counter and initiating the adaptation sequence for new oil. Both items must be done with the key in position II without the engine turned on.
Hope this helps.
Excellent! I also purchased my VIDA from Darius and have been very pleased. What trans fluid did you use for the drain and refill process?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whiz,
I used 12 quarts of 3309 fluid shipped from Amazon which was about $70 shipped. I am using my desktop with Windows 7 home edition with 4 gigs of memory to run the VMware player.
The total cost of this is $70 for fluid and $200 for the Vida dice unit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All,
I performed the fluid temperature counter and the adaptation software using my Vida/dice. I am still getting sudden and late shifts especially when the transmission fluid is hot. I used Mobil 3309 fluid in my s80 6 speed trans. I used the same fluid in my xc70 5 speed trans without any issues.
I have ordered 16 quarts of genuine Volvo trans fluid from Oak park Volvo to replace the Mobil 3309.
At least from my experience, Mobil 3309 is not suitable for the 6 speed transmission.

·
Registered
392 Posts
How did the S80 transmission shift before the fluid change? My 2007 S80 calls for 3309 fluid. Does your 2009 S80 specify different fluid?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My transmission shifted perfectly before the transmission fluid change. I spoke to the counter person at the local Volvo dealership who also stated that in his experience he was getting late shifts with both amsoil and Mobil 3309 and had to get the genuine Volvo fluid for the 6 speed trans. The late shifts are noticeable when trying to accelerate up a parking structure or a long hill.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The spec on this transmission calls for aw-1 which is the same specs as used by Saab which used the same trans in some of their models. I have conflicting information on whether the aw-1 is the same as 3309. I will report back after filling my trans with the genuine Volvo fluid on whether my shift issues are resolved. The counter guy at the local dealership (a liter of the Volvo fluid costs $34 which is outrageous, Oak Park Volvo charges $17 per liter) stated that the Mobil 3309 viscosity is too high at high temperatures and that the fluid should be thinner for the 6 speed trans to operate correctly.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The spec on this transmission calls for aw-1 which is the same specs as used by Saab which used the same trans in some of their models. I have conflicting information on whether the aw-1 is the same as 3309. I will report back after filling my trans with the genuine Volvo fluid on whether my shift issues are resolved. The counter guy at the local dealership (a liter of the Volvo fluid costs $34 which is outrageous, Oak Park Volvo charges $17 per liter) stated that the Mobil 3309 viscosity is too high at high temperatures and that the fluid should be thinner for the 6 speed trans to operate correctly.
Yipes! Yes, please be sure to report back after you swap out the Mobil1 3309 with the Volvo OEM fluid what your results are. I do wonder if you should have waited a couple of weeks to see if the tranny adjusts to the new fluid before pulling it out but it's your car and your call.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All,
My S80 is shifting normally with the genuine Volvo fluid. I reset the adaptation and counter, and the S80 now pulls strongly to higher RPMs and shifts accordingly as new. I used a torque wrench on both the drain plug and the level check plug since I did not want to overtighten the level plug.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts