SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got my caR, AWD has been intermittent, and have come to find that having only FWD at times can actually be beneficial. Like in rolling pulls, possibly gas mileage on longer highway trips, and in the summer when it is just not needed.

Anyways, now that I have AWD working all the time I wish that I could have only FWD at times so a kill switch came to mind.

I so far have two ideas that could work.

1. a switch ran to the back DEM fuse

2. maybe a switch ran to the parking brake somehow? I understand that clicking it up 1 notch shuts off AWD, but 1 notch on my parking brake engages the brake too much for it be on while driving.

With either of these options, I know it will turn the AWD off, but will it turn it back on without having to restart the car?

Or are there any other ideas out there that might be more efficient?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
...and in the summer when it is just not needed.
Must not be driving hard enough. :D

Personally, I find AWD extremely beneficial in warm weather, whether dry or wet:
1. acceleration in the dry, whether turning or straight line. My FWD Passat with just 2/3 the torque of the R lights up the front tires with ease, even with dedicated summer tires.
2. acceleration in the wet, regardless if straight or in the bends. I learned this first hand while driving Tail of the Dragon in the rain. The grip and acceleration out of the bends was rather uneventful, which is a good thing. The car just hooks up and goes...

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I'm surprised with that mod list you don't think you need it in summertime. Is there not a tune to go with all the other upgrades?

Its also not going to increase your MPG, all the AWD components will still be spinning and dragging even when the system is unpowered. Even when energized and you are just cruising down the road the haldex is barely gripping.

·
Registered
179 Posts
As the others have said, I don't know what advantages you would get by doing this.

However, your second is very easy if the handbrake sensor that turns off AWD is the same one that triggers the dash light. If so, it is simply a contact between the handle and a post in front. It is easily accessible if you remove the parking brake boot. You do not have to remove the entire center console.

Mine hasn't made contact since I switched over to an '05 console. I have "stick piece of Al foil on the contact" on my todo list for four years...

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
There was someone on here who already rigged up a switch to the handbrake in the center console. You just have to deal with the BRAKE light being on while in FWD mode.

As the others have said, I don't know what advantages you would get by doing this.

However, your second is very easy if the handbrake sensor that turns off AWD is the same one that triggers the dash light. If so, it is simply a contact between the handle and a post in front. It is easily accessible if you remove the parking brake boot. You do not have to remove the entire center console.

Mine hasn't made contact since I switched over to an '05 console. I have "stick piece of Al foil on the contact" on my todo list for four years...
Hahaha, mine too! I haven't had the motivation to pull the console out to see why it doesn't trigger the dash light yet in the last four years. Brake still works fine. Why is the AWD disabled with the brake engaged anyway, so you can do handbrake turns?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Pretty much something you want to have happen if the emergency brake is going to try to lock up the back wheels. Not a good time for the haldex to be working against the rear wheels so its a built in safeguard for the system.

Beneficial side effect is it also allows handbrake turns too, lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts