SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

easiest way to color-key mouldings? ('04)

5K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  mike_c70 
#1 ·
...just get new ones or can the ones that are on be painted and re-attatched?

#2 ·
Re: easiest way to color-key mouldings? (Cicada)

I would think painting the ones you have would be cheaper. I think others have had it done for $400 or so...

if you search, I think this has been discussed before.

It WILL make your car look better.

Get the molding color matched, tint you windows, tails, and you'll have one sweet looking R!

#4 ·

I had my side / front trim replaced with '05 and painted. For the rear bumper, they just removed, sanded and painted. Total for parts/labor was like $1200. What is interesting is the labor for the rear trim was only 50 Euro, much cheaper than the $100-$120 for smooth '05 pieces. Something to look into. Total cost was under $900 for '05 parts, paint and labor.

I actually thinik the best look there out there is an '04 with just the side trim painted, leaving the lower rocker panels dark grey. That way there is some contrast without breaking up the color. Can't really tell on Ti-grey (I mostly did it to make it easier to wax and the front/rear bumpers were getting replaced anyway). Someone posted an S60R in Flash Green with that set-up, looked amazing. Of course there is Bylle's that style as well...

Modified by "R" Kelly at 7:35 PM 3-24-2006

#8 ·
Re: (PhilUp)

I take it all back, I actually paid less than $900. The other $300 was for something else I did at same time.

And I did it since I needed front/rear bumpers re-painted anyways because of someone backing into me.

However, for non Ti-Grey/Black '04 Rs, it is the single best visual mod you can make. Completely changes the look of the car, 100% better.

#9 ·
Re: ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »
I take it all back, I actually paid less than $900. The other $300 was for something else I did at same time.

And I did it since I needed front/rear bumpers re-painted anyways because of someone backing into me.

However, for non Ti-Grey/Black '04 Rs, it is the single best visual mod you can make. Completely changes the look of the car, 100% better.

I have done jobs like this before and infact, did it to my old 2nd gen RX7 (I used to paint and prep).....I see $75 for materials MAX....... There isn't much work in smoothing out a molding either. So, IMHO, if a person spends more than $4-500, only to have moldings prepped and painted, they are not getting a "good" deal. If this includes "new" moldings that will need to be painted; that price may vary. But, just to resurface a few small pieces is nothing to a body shop and the cost should be lower than $900.

This job should cost about $400. "period. dot." But, europe prices may vary*.

Kevin

#11 ·
Re: easiest way to color-key mouldings? (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
I would think painting the ones you have would be cheaper. I think others have had it done for $400 or so...

if you search, I think this has been discussed before.

It WILL make your car look better.

Get the molding color matched, tint you windows, tails, and you'll have one sweet looking R!
400 sounds about right and id be willing to do it for aesthetic and maintenance reasons -- it's jsut easier to wax the car all over instead o havingto worry about getting it on the panels :/

#12 ·
Re: easiest way to color-key mouldings? ("R" Kelly)

I actually thinik the best look there out there is an '04 with just the side trim painted, leaving the lower rocker panels dark grey. That way there is some contrast without breaking up the color. Can't really tell on Ti-grey (I mostly did it to make it easier to wax and the front/rear bumpers were getting replaced anyway). Someone posted an S60R in Flash Green with that set-up, looked amazing. Of course there is Bylle's that style as well...

Modified by "R" Kelly at 7:35 PM 3-24-2006

i have the factory kit so it has the sidesills that cover the lower panels

#13 ·
Re: (KVB)

Kevin -

Dealer wasn't willing to sand and paint all the other parts. Would only do the rear bumper because '05 part not available. Then body shop only chraged me E50 for that piece, so it would definitely be cheaper to sand and paint '04 pieces than to order '05.

#14 ·
Re: ("R" Kelly)

Kevin -

Dealer wasn't willing to sand and paint all the other parts. Would only do the rear bumper because '05 part not available. Then body shop only chraged me E50 for that piece, so it would definitely be cheaper to sand and paint '04 pieces than to order '05.

So for a re-trim, you purchased new moldings with exception of one? $900 includes all new trim with rear bumper excepted?

To be clear for others, what did you purchase painted and what did you have painted for the cost of?

#15 ·

Quote, originally posted by KVB »
To be clear for others, what did you purchase painted and what did you have painted for the cost of?

I know it is all the way at the top of the page... but geez...

I had my side / front trim replaced with '05 and painted. For the rear bumper, they just removed, sanded and painted. Total for parts/labor was like $900. What is interesting is the labor for the rear trim was only 50 Euro, much cheaper than the $100-$120 for smooth '05 pieces. Something to look into. Total cost was under $900 for '05 parts, paint and labor.

I actually thinik the best look there out there is an '04 with just the side trim painted, leaving the lower rocker panels dark grey. That way there is some contrast without breaking up the color. Can't really tell on Ti-grey (I mostly did it to make it easier to wax and the front/rear bumpers were getting replaced anyway).

#18 ·
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
$1200?!?!? ouch. that sound steep.

i would think a body shop could just take off the stock stuff, sand it down, then paint it, and do it for a more reasonable price..
Not at all. $1450 to resand, repaint my front and rear Evolve bumpers only, and for the shop to reinstall.

#20 ·
Re: (sniz)

Mine were $120, painted (although this was for my T5, not the R, but same difference). I collected salvaged trim from a body shop, only two parts were new. If I was more particular with the quality, I would have gone for new trim all over, since some of the fixed (welded and sanded) parts have nasty reflections. Actually, I should have just sanded the original trim, but I did not want to leave the car trimless for four weeks it took to get this done.

#22 ·
Re: (Cicada)

Quote, originally posted by Cicada »
why would it take a month to get done? i'd imagine it'd be a weekend job...
Not a weekend job unless the painter works 7 to 10:00 both days.

If you're sanding down, smoothing and painting 04 moldings it takes a while, if nothing else for the primer to dry in between coats.
If you're painting new moldings the job will go quicker but there is still that pesky rear bumper to sand and paint which is the hardest one to do. The same applies, you have top wait for the primer to dry in between coats.
(I've/we have done 2 Rs, not to mention how many 01s and 02 Volvos we did. It takes a while to do this job properly)
JRL

#23 ·

Quote, originally posted by KVB »

There isn't much work in smoothing out a molding either.

Kevin
Are you totally NUTS?

These are SO rough, a real PITA to do.
(I've done several)

#25 ·
I want to colour-code my 2003 S60R....

So I was thinking about ordering '05 side and front mouldings and a normal '03 rear moulding.

Do the '05 side and front mouldings come pre-painted by Volvo? I thought they did because the mouldings are painted on all MY05 cars?

Lastly, I'm not sure whether to pain the sills or not. If I order the sport styling kit, will it cover up the sills anyway?

#26 ·

I got '05 mouldings for the front and side and had the rear sanded and painted in March '04 - looks great! It probably would have been cheaper to have all the '04 parts sanded and painted but it would have taken more down time.

http://www.rchin.com/volvo/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.