SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I are looking at a 2002 and a 2007 XC for a mild build to replace his gas/maintenance hog of a Landcruiser (FZJ80 ... 1994 ... Classic). Anything to look for in the early vs late builds? The price difference is significant and the 2002 is really clean with roughtly equivalent mileage of the 07.

Thanks in advance for the help and all the build thread documentation.

Chris

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I’m no expert, but I remember hearing the trans was a potential problem until ‘05. Again, I’m not 100%. I’m sure someone will pipe up with more knowledge.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
01/02 Trans are crap.
05+ is where its at due to bumper / lights / interior up grades.

That being said , you can swap over pretty much anything from and 05+ into an older model for cosmetics.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
01/02 Trans are crap.
05+ is where its at due to bumper / lights / interior up grades.

That being said , you can swap over pretty much anything from and 05+ into an older model for cosmetics.
Good to know. Any chance of a late build 02 having an 03 transmission? There is a $2500 delta between the 02 and the 07 ... i.e. the 07 is 2x as much as the 02

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update ... found an 04 at a reasonable price.... Keeping eyes peeled for an 05 or later that isn't grand theft volvo.

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Pretty sure that DSTC came standard on the '07 cars.

I would imagine there was a change in haldex generation going from '02 to '07.

Glass headlights on the pre-'05 cars are preferred over the later plastic lens ones.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
As an owner of an 02, I would highly recommend avoiding an early XC. Unless you want to do a m66 6 speed swap, early XCs are not really a great idea unless you

A. Inherit it
B. It's a Cool/Rare Color combo you HAVE to have
C. It is in absolutely impeccable shape

Considering few early XCs are like this, you are better off buying a later one. If I wasn't so emotionally invested in my 02 and did'nt have a m66 sitting in my garage, I would've probably kicked it for an 07 by now...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great feedback gents! Thank you.

I like the idea of glass lamps ('m forever polishing the lexan ones on my lifted GX.)

I also like the idea of the kid in something with DSTC.... hmmmm....

Chris

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would imagine there was a change in haldex generation going from '02 to '07.
Correct. Actually, '02s still had the Viscous Coupler system, while '06-'07 had Haldex Gen 3 (with Gens 1-2 in the in-between years). Big difference there.

Personally I'd go at least post-facelift (so '05+) for the CAN speed bump, cosmetic overhaul (I like the facelift better, personal opinion granted), improved transmission, newer Haldex (particularly '06+ for that), etc. But '04 was a decent year overall. Especially if you want to do light off-roading, get something with Haldex 3, or I think a few guys on here have put a Haldex 3 into their earlier XCs. General advise is to avoid '01-'02 automatic transmissions due to too many issues in the wild.
The plastic headlights suck on the '05+. Simple wiring harness is all that's needed to put pre-facelift glass ones in the later versions (they otherwise bolt right up), or E-codes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Correct. Actually, '02s still had the Viscous Coupler system, while '06-'07 had Haldex Gen 3 (with Gens 1-2 in the in-between years). Big difference there.

Personally I'd go at least post-facelift (so '05+) for the CAN speed bump, cosmetic overhaul (I like the facelift better, personal opinion granted), improved transmission, newer Haldex (particularly '06+ for that), etc. But '04 was a decent year overall. Especially if you want to do light off-roading, get something with Haldex 3, or I think a few guys on here have put a Haldex 3 into their earlier XCs. General advise is to avoid '01-'02 automatic transmissions due to too many issues in the wild.
The plastic headlights suck on the '05+. Simple wiring harness is all that's needed to put pre-facelift glass ones in the later versions (they otherwise bolt right up), or E-codes.
Great info!! thank you!

·
Registered
17,306 Posts
Any advantage to getting an Ocean Race edition?
They look great?

Besides that, no.

Don't get an 02 unless you want to manual swap it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They look great?

Besides that, no.

Don't get an 02 unless you want to manual swap it
Looking at an 04 and an 07 ... Tyring hard to go 06/07 for the updated haldex, having owned a '12 XC60 T6 P* ... I appreciate the gen3/4 haldex. Anything to look for specifically on the 06/07s?

·
Registered
939 Posts
2004 saw engine improvements sometime into the model year (both exhaust and intake cams became variable ???) while still retaining fade proof glass headlight lenses.

Also a guy that would buy VOlvo's at auction, fix them up and sell them told me 2004 was the last year that a lot of relays were used, later XCs were more multiplexed/electronic.

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Looking at an 04 and an 07 ... Tyring hard to go 06/07 for the updated haldex, having owned a '12 XC60 T6 P* ... I appreciate the gen3/4 haldex. Anything to look for specifically on the 06/07s?
The '06 Ocean Race cars are nice but you do pay a premium for them and they have this tan leather/cloth split seat interior that appears hard to keep clean.

Like was already indicated above, the '07 was the only year that had DSTC standard.

Wheel design changed for '07 and some of the '07 models have the Adventure package that includes watchdial gauges, better head unit and speakers, larger wheels.

Would recommend against a rear booster seat vehicle unless you need the boosters. I find those seats pretty uncomfortable and I think your passengers would too.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Speed sensitive steering happened on the 07MY. So did TPMS, more of an annoyance if you ask me. Brakes stayed the same, 286mm in the front.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Can you expand on the CAN speed bump? I tried searching to no avail...
Both the low speed and high speed CAN buses were doubled(?) in speed for '05, and I think there might have been some tweaks to the protocol too, but I'm not positive on that. This isn't a huge deal to be honest, but it did simultaneously bring about some minor quality-of-life improvements to some of the electrical modules. It does mean that you can't swap most electrical modules across the facelift when repairing stuff.

Any advantage to getting an Ocean Race edition?
Ocean Race was a cosmetic-only special edition, 500 made each in '02 and '06. Special paint color, premium 17" rims (which were available as a factory option on '07s anyway), some trim details. As pointed out they only (as far as I can tell) came in the dual vinyl-cloth seats (not leather-cloth, I don't believe that was ever a combo available in the P2s sadly), which I honestly dislike and would much rather have full leather like I have in my '01 V70. Mechanically the Ocean Race's are identical to any other '06 XC70, so like ScottishBrick said, no advantage other than the awesome paint color :)

Since it was mentioned, TPMS was standard on the '07s, but was an option listed for the '06 MY. Personally I'm happy to not have them, I know how to keep an eye on tire pressure on my own, and one less idiot light always going off for no reason.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I like Howard's Volvo Page for getting your feet wet.

https://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/

I'd say go for anything 05+, but wouldn't refuse a nice 03-04 if it's been well maintained.

Avoid 4C

Don't worry too much about certain options as those can either be purchased or picked up from a JY at a later time.

One thing I like about the pre-facelift front bumper is that it actually has an aluminum skid plate and not some painted plastic.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 63 Posts