SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching all over for a set of early cowl vent clips. I like to look of the early cowl vents and purchased on on Ebay about a year ago. It was mailed to me with the mesh screen and vent but did not have the clips needed to attach it to the body. Does anyone know if they make these? If not does any one have any they would like to sell?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
I have been searching all over for a set of early cowl vent clips. I like to look of the early cowl vents and purchased on on Ebay about a year ago. It was mailed to me with the mesh screen and vent but did not have the clips needed to attach it to the body. Does anyone know if they make these? If not does any one have any they would like to sell?
Huge slow download...

http://volvo1800pictures.com/document/SparepartsP/Early B18 P1800 exploded views.pdf

...so consider saving a copy on your system once the download is complete.

Almost 500 pages of P1800 parts which should include the clip you seek and its Volvo Part Number from which we can find said items for sale on the www.

Used clips may not be serviceable but eBay shows an entire P1800 cowl drain with clips attached (no cowl vent cover).

Probably the easiest/cheapest/quickest way to get the correct clip is a phone call/email to the used parts vendors listed here...

http://www.vcoa.org/images/docs/Rolling_Jan-Feb_10lo-res.pdf

George Dill

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link George. You area great source of knowledge around here!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like there are two clips I need. A clip to attach the screen to the vent and a clip to attach the vent to the body. The screen to vent seems to be available but the body attachment part isn't available. I tried a couple used place with no luck. I will call around some more and will be crossing my fingers. I may be putting this thing on my shelf for now if I can't find some clips to attach it to the body.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
It looks like there are two clips I need. A clip to attach the screen to the vent and a clip to attach the vent to the body. The screen to vent seems to be available but the body attachment part isn't available. I tried a couple used place with no luck. I will call around some more and will be crossing my fingers. I may be putting this thing on my shelf for now if I can't find some clips to attach it to the body.
Got any Volvo Part Numbers/names?

George Dill

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The body clip is called Anchorage 665287-9 and the grill clip is labeled simply as Clip 1992366-3. They were on page 380-381 in the manual you linked. Items number 105 and 106.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
The body clip is called Anchorage 665287-9 and the grill clip is labeled simply as Clip 1992366-3. They were on page 380-381 in the manual you linked. Items number 105 and 106.
NLA new - not even in China.

Some leads...

Depending on who you call you'll be talking to guys (and one lady) with many years of Volvo B18/20 experience (that's why they have the parts) and these folks will do you straight once you share your needs.

A used Bosch distributor (WITH NO VACUUM CONTROLS) in good condition and ready to install (with your Pertronix kit) will not be cheap. Buying off eBay is risky and trusting an unknown source can cost money needlessly.

Best bets...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Buscher Ph/Fax (315) 637-3840
--
Susquehanna Spares, (717) 921-2644 ; 122/1800 parts, Joe Lazenby owner
--
Don Thibault, 372 Route 6A, East Sandwich, Mass. 02537 (508) 888-9715
--
John Adamchak : Has many parts for 1800's and other Volvos call 732-681-7682
--
Lii Montgomery : Used parts and some rebuilt stuff . Call 505-763-6134
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
George Dill
John Adamchak has died and his wife has done a VALIANT job of disposing of thousands of Volvo parts, through garage sales, ebay, etc.
Not sure how you guys missed this!
http://www.irollmotors.com/

George Dill

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help George. I have made quite a few more calls today and have only come up with whole assemblies (grill, screen and clips) for more than I am willing to pay. I still have a few more places to call and if that doesn't work I will look at other options to attach it to the car. I wonder if some of the newer double sided tape used on mouldings would work for this purpose? I can't see why not but I will have to check and see just how much of the vent touches the body.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Thanks for the help George. I have made quite a few more calls today and have only come up with whole assemblies (grill, screen and clips) for more than I am willing to pay. I still have a few more places to call and if that doesn't work I will look at other options to attach it to the car. I wonder if some of the newer double sided tape used on mouldings would work for this purpose? I can't see why not but I will have to check and see just how much of the vent touches the body.
This guy...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-1800-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27cca9ba1a

...might have the clips/anchorage but I don't know how to get his non-eBay contact info.

George Dill

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't know how to get his non-eBay contact info.

why not just send him a question on one of his Ebay listings? Ask him to contact you at your e-mail address and then you can get the conversation going and avoid having to work a deal through Ebay.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The eBay listing is the newer style vent like I took off my car. I need the clips for a vent like on the blue car. Evidently the are different and the old vents take 8 and the newer style has 6 clips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been searching for these early cowl clips ("Anchorage" part # 665287-9) for the past 3 years with no luck. I bought one of these grills on ebay back in 2009 and it came with 2 clips, but there are 8 clips needed. My cowl has just been sitting unused b/c I can't find the darn clips.

I'm now working with a local 3d printer to get a set made for my own use. Wanted to see if there is broader interest out there for these clips, and if so what folks would be willing to pay for them. I think a single set is going to end up costing me a lot because of the 3d design services - but if there's enough demand for them, perhaps the price would come down. For background - 3d printing involves redesigning the clip using prototyping software, then using a 3d printer which extrudes plastic one layer at a time to recreate the object. It's a relatively hard/rigid plastic. I'll likely end up having my own set made, and if it works can report back out to the community. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There was a guy on the Volvo UK site that was going to produce them but I have not seen anything yet. I don't think I would be interested in plastic clips. I would be more likely to use double sided tape like they use on trim pieces on newer cars if the clips aren't available by the time I need them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts