SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about running E85. There is a station nearby that sells it. From what I hear E85 performs well in terms of power but sucks in terms of fuel economy. Has anybody converted to it and what all needs to be done to switch over? Does anyone know a tuner that has experience tuning for ethanol? I'd like to do it but I don't know if it's a feasible thing for me to just do.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Shred, i would if you werent across the country lol.
Its not the smartest idea but is what i like, its unique!

I just sent my ECU off today to ARD tuning. The motor is almost out of my car.
So my buiLD PLAN is :
-Port matched Intake manifold
- New intake design
- New exhaust
- Bigger injectors (Viv upgraded ones)
-E85 tune from ARD
From Fosgatelife

·
Registered
414 Posts
30% to 40% more fuel usage is what most people say...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
No conversion for me but I'm driving a flexifuel (1.8F) and since I bought it I've never put a single drop of B95 in the tank. It sure is more thirsty on E85 but I really like how quickly the car actually reacts and feels to E85 even though having a small engine.
I have been comparing numbers from a few that I know that are driving the same engine but on regular B95 and I'd say (with my heavy foot and 19" summer wheels), 30% extra fuel consumption would be pretty accurate. Also been told from the same people who has been swapping from B95 and E85 back and forth that E85 sure makes a difference in response.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It would really need to be tuned to get the full use of it, as you need a crap ton more fuel to make the same power. Not sure how adaptable the factory ecu is.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
E85, I converted a Shelby CSX to run on it. 20-30% more fuel consumption, 30%-40% more power at the same boost since you can put more timing advance without pre-ignition. I didn't use a E85 sensor, I just trust the station have good E85. If I had to switch back on on 91 due to E85 availability, I just swap the ST27SF512 chips I had the tunes on.

At minimal ,you'd want bigger injectors, and tune. E85 sensor, Megasquirit, ability to switch tune on the fly would be optional.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
What everyone here says is so far correct: I was researching doing E85 conversion on my old carb'd harley before I settled on the pistons I have in there now(was going to go up to 11:1 for a while but settled on 10:1s)

Fuel requirements go from the normal up to 40% more than gasoline depending on the application (from a 14.7:1 to a 9.7:1 ratio). E85 also has about 70-80% the energy content of gasoline, unless you plan on going up in compression (or boost in our case), your mileage will drop a bit, as this fuel creates fantastic numbers with higher pressures. There is debate among the community whether the increase in alcohol in the system will rot/dissolve the normally gasoline soaked parts of the vehicle due to chemical intolerance of the parts designed for gasoline and not alcohol. On the bright side, it does burn a lot cooler, which allows for more power through a more aggressive ignition curve as someone else said above.

A safe bet for switching is at LEAST new higher flow injecters and a custom ECM tune.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spoke with a friend that's a mechanic. He said to replace the fuel filter, fuel pump, injectors, and depending on the car the ECU might need replaced. He recommended getting an ECU that can wire in a fuel sensor that automatically adjusts the tune to match the fuel being used. It's starting to sound more and more expensive to do the conversion. It is something I'm thinking about doing in the future though. Thanks to everyone for the information.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
That sounds like he's trying to sell you a megasquirt kit or meth/alky kit as I've never heard of any interchangeable ECMs. Elevate sales a flash tune so you can just start running e85.

The topic of how the parts are gonna react to the new mixture is very deep there's tons of makes and models to compare test on but at the end of the day the car was not designed to be used with this fuel so that being said we always talk about how OEM is best for replacement parts because thats what the car was designed on, Maybe same goes for the fuel?

I think if it's just a daily spirited driver, e85 loses its value and the fun factor is gonna go out the window.( only two stations here that carry it regularly) if your at the end of your mod list and building a weekend track car then I think use of e85 or kits are more permitted.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of this in Volvo land, but coming from a GM world, they say it's really bad news to run it if you don't have a flex fuel type vehicle. People have used it in newer GM cars/trucks without flex fuel engines and they claim that gaskets were destroyed and required replacement. (didn't really say which gaskets although intake manifold gaskets and head gaskets were mentioned) and a guy that lived in South America ran it in his 77 Buick and the car wouldn't go faster than 70.

Since the Volvo's engine costs about 14 times what an engine in my Alero would cost, I'm not willing to risk it.

JMHO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts