SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today I decided to throw a little E85 in (1 gallon E85, 7 gallons 93 octane)

So, all I can say is that the power is much more solid. It feels like it should on a good day, no heat soak, all the time. Here's the interesting part:

Under WOT I was hitting about 8.2:1 AFR with the E85. On just 93 octane it's usually around 10.0:1/11.0:1 AFR under WOT

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
the plastics in our caRs are not E85 certified...I'm not even sure if they are E15 certified.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I think a couple members do the same or even use more e85. The guy from sweden does I know for sure.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
yeah i've been dumping up to 12 gallons of e85 and the rest of premium.. car feels more solid and feels like there less heatsoak. I've been doing it for a while now on my stock R. No CEL. There are plenty of guys from sweden using it.. Doesn't sound like they've upgraded their plastics.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
less energy content and burning your food to travel...bad equation.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I saw one member chenged injectors and tune from autotech for e85.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
8:1 shouldn't be a big problem (I think) that would only bring you E10-E15 range...

running e85, to my mind, would be pushing the injector envelope... you have to run 20% more fuel volume and that is a big concern... running too lean. I wouldn't worry about the plastics so much as whether or not our metal fuel lines are stainless steel or not (water/corrosion issue).

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You'd think it would be leaner with E85. Weird.
Strange that it made the car go rich like that. Def be careful of the plastics though
Here's the basic explanation: The car sees that it's going to lean out, so it dumps fuel in. This is why I only started out with a 1/8th mix, effectively raising the E85 content somewhere between 12%-18% vs the "possible" 10% that each pump says.

Less energy yeah, but significantly better heat soaking properties.

8:1 shouldn't be a big problem (I think) that would only bring you E10-E15 range...

running e85, to my mind, would be pushing the injector envelope... you have to run 20% more fuel volume and that is a big concern... running too lean. I wouldn't worry about the plastics so much as whether or not our metal fuel lines are stainless steel or not (water/corrosion issue).
It's actually more like 33% more fuel (running straight E85) I'm really not worried about the plastics for anyone that is worried. It's not going to be a regular thing, and besides there's a lot more rumors about E85 than anything. It's still in the experimental areas with most cars.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
In Canada, at least, Sunoco/Petrocan sells an honest-to-God 94 octane premium dinosaur juice for about $1.40/litre ($5/US gallon). Combined with IPD Stage 1 tune I get slightly better mileage and significantly better power, all without raising the price of anybody's tacos...

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
If you're tuned for it, it should aost even out, as you should run leaner.

(ethanol has a lower flashpoint, lower flashpoint=more oxygen. Oxygen contains more energy than gasoline.

In a normally aspirated car, I could see it being an issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In Canada, at least, Sunoco/Petrocan sells an honest-to-God 94 octane premium dinosaur juice for about $1.40/litre ($5/US gallon). Combined with IPD Stage 1 tune I get slightly better mileage and significantly better power, all without raising the price of anybody's tacos...
That there Petro-Canada (née Sunoco) Ultra 94 is from alcoholic dinosaurs; premium 91 with enough ethanol ~10% to bringing it up to 94.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
(ethanol has a lower flashpoint, lower flashpoint=more oxygen. Oxygen contains more energy than gasoline.
Ethanol has a lower flashpoint than what? The flashpoint of ethanol is much higher than that of gasoline.

The flashpoint of pure ethanol is approx. 62*F, while the flashpoint of gasoline is approx. -45*F.

·
Registered
157 Posts
One important thing to remember is that E85 uses less air to burn one liter E85 than gasoline. Don't remember the correct number but i think it was about 8 liter air for 1 liter E85.

·
Registered
998 Posts
LOL. This country needs to burn up more corn instead of putting them into the soda the kids are drinking anyway.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
My personal experience was with my 84 245Ti that I set up to run e85. We have ICM (google them) right outside of town... they and Abengoa are premier builders and producers of e85 (the guys who own ICM started the ethanol industry in the USA) so I've been playing with it for a while.

e85 (from thousands of miles of personal experience) runs about 5-10F cooler than 92 octane premium. my 245 also used 20% more fuel / mile or 20% less miles per tank (which ever way you want to say it) and I adjusted fuel injector system (extra injectors) accordingly. I was WAY too lean and getting hot with standard set up, and I didn't want to burn the motor up... and this was on a car with primitive mechanical injection and no serious knock sensor in case of predetonation. That bieng said, it was pretty straight forward to keep her from shredding. EGT told most of the story, to be honest.

It did run better after a proper tuning, though...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts