SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2004 SR w/ E6 stamped glass in all 4 doors. My passenger side window jumped track this weekend and cracked ( cant feel the crack on either side of window).

What is the difference between the E6 and an E2?

I found a E2 for sale close by. Thinking I may need some track or regulator parts also.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
829 Posts
From what I've read around the forum, if the E2 glass is the standard thinner glass, it should be a direct replacement of the upgraded E6 glass. However, I have E5 in my 2004 SR, so is there 3 different windows available?

·
Registered
710 Posts
The amount of mis-information on this forum is to high!

The E code (with a capital ‘E’) is used for cars in European countries, and indicates the country that certified the windshield.

It is a circle with the capital letter E followed by a number. The codes are assigned by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe.
E1 Germany
E2 France
E3 Italy
E4 Netherlands
E5 Sweden
E6 Belgium
E7 Hungary
E8 Czech Republic
E9 Spain
E10 Serbia [and Montenegro]
E11 United Kingdom
E12 Austria
E13 Luxembourg
E14 Switzerland
E16 Norway
E17 Finland
E18 Denmark
E19 Romania
E20 Poland
E21 Portugal
E22 Russia
E23 Greece
E24 Ireland
E25 Croatia
E26 Slovenia
E27 Slovakia
E28 Belarus
E29 Estonia
E31 Bosnia and Herzegovina
E32 Latvia
E34 Bulgaria
E36 Lithuania
E37 Turkey
E39 Azerbaijan
E40 Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
E42 European Community
E43 Japan
E45 Australia E46 Ukraine
E47 South Africa
E48 New Zealand
E49 Cyprus
E50 Malta
E51 Republic of Korea
E52 Malaysia
E53 Thailand

·
Registered
829 Posts
The standard glass (non-laminated) in my dads 2004 s60 are E2, my laminated windows in my 2004 s60R are E5. No clue why one is France and one is Sweden when both cars were made in the same country and destined for sale in the US. That aside, to my understanding, either the laminated (came with convenience pkg when car was purchased), or the non-laminated standard option windows will fit without modification. The laminated glass in my R measures 5mm thick, and the non-laminated glass in my dads s60 measures 4mm thick. From a quick visual inspection without taking anything apart, both inside and outside seals appear to be exactly the same on both cars also.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Seals in the window can handle a little thickness difference. Each country probably has different window/safety requirements, therefore the reason for all the different codes. Sure someone, somewhere worked on the devil of the details to know that an E2 or E5 meets US spec, so that's what we get depending on supply and demand.

·
Registered
710 Posts
E2 or E5 relates to the country where the glass was manufactured.

Volvo sources it's parts from multiple countries and then it all gets assembled in one place (Belgium, Sweden, etc).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant tell you all how many threads i've read all over the web regarding this topic. The different manufacturing locations makes the most sense out of all the reasons I've read.

Thanks Everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts