1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
I vote for the manufacturers on this one. The fewer percentage of corn oil........the better.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Yep, even with the current fuel with 10% Ethanol, our MPG drops about the same percentage. So buying by the gallon, you'll end up paying the same amount for less mileage compared to an Ethanol-Free gas.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Aluminum doesn't like any forms of alcohol. Ethanol just corrodes it. The dropped MPG is also noticeable so I avoid anything above 10% ethanol. Some places I've seen 15% which is insane.

·
Registered
727 Posts
well soon enough ill be running e85 so ill let you know how bad it is!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Oh no not evil ethanol! It comes in the night and it muders baby's!

You can fight it or embrace it. E85 is the **** for turbo cars, there is a local guy that all he does is tune people's cars on e85. His name is Cody Phillis, he has one of the worlds fastest supra six speed cars. The last time he was on the dyno he maxed out at 1600 hp on the spray.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All I'm saying is that my car is paid off and I'm trying to keep it a while. However, getting a tune that specifically takes advantage of the higher octane rating of ethanol could be interesting. I mean what would you need new seals, lines, injectors, and a tune that can take advantage of ethanol?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
To do it right you need an e85 rated pump and regulator like aeromotive, some e85 rated an fuel line, the fuel rail true hard anodized, and injectors. I have seen lots of people run nothing but a bigger pump and injectors but I wouldn't go that route on my personal car. You will need extra injectors size for a given hp, and fuel pump.

I have seen people switch from 112 race gas to e85 and pick up hp with the correct tuning on boosted cars. It allows for more boost and timing. And it smells terrible. Don't leave your gas tank open to the cars insides for days while working on it as the smell is god awful if you let it sink into the interior like that.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Corrosion - of plastics ... 10% and 15% really won't make much of a difference. If you're looking at like E85 then maybe there could be some concerns far down the road.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
I vote for the manufacturers on this one. The fewer percentage of corn oil........the better.
This! :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
This! :thumbup::thumbup:
It's not that gasoline won't corrode plastics, it's that it won't corrode it as quickly as corn fuel. An extra 5% won't hurt, considering most states use up to 10%

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
It's not that gasoline won't corrode plastics, it's that it won't corrode it as quickly as corn fuel. An extra 5% won't hurt, considering most states use up to 10%
Nothing to do with corrosion, turning food into fuel is just a terrible idea on so many levels, even if it did "work fine" in cars.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Nothing to do with corrosion, turning food into fuel is just a terrible idea on so many levels, even if it did "work fine" in cars.
What's so bad about it? The type of corn they use to produce these types of products we don't eat - however that doesn't mean they couldn't grow edible corn there. You have to keep in mind though - we're not in a shortage for corn or anything. Ethanol can also be made from other things than corn. For the matter, even if one of our members uses E85, it's not like the demand is going to skyrocket and change the infrastructure and make corn prices go up because they started to produce more for making fuel. Keep in mind we use corn so we have to use less gasoline - conserving our fossil fuels by .. up to 10%, and also, Ethanol additives is what gives your gasoline 93+ octane in most states. Not only that, but Ethanol is cleaner burning, too.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
What's so bad about it? The type of corn they use to produce these types of products we don't eat - however that doesn't mean they couldn't grow edible corn there. You have to keep in mind though - we're not in a shortage for corn or anything. Ethanol can also be made from other things than corn. For the matter, even if one of our members uses E85, it's not like the demand is going to skyrocket and change the infrastructure and make corn prices go up because they started to produce more for making fuel. Keep in mind we use corn so we have to use less gasoline - conserving our fossil fuels by .. up to 10%, and also, Ethanol additives is what gives your gasoline 93+ octane in most states. Not only that, but Ethanol is cleaner burning, too.
He is just trying to turn this down the political path while ignoring the fact the the goverment has given us fuel that's as good almost race gas while costing close to regular, and you can get it at the pump. I hate it when the goverment does that.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
This is a major issue, and not just a "political" one as many like to describe it.

The corn that is used to produce ethanol is planted in lieu of other essential crops. This is causing shortages of things that we use every day for food consumption, such as wheat. Because there are government subsidies for corn (thanks to ethanol), farmers are no longer producing as much wheat. If you fail to see the problem there, it may be time for some lessons in economics. I am in the food production industry, and directly see the effects that this is having on consumers. Not a good idea.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
This is a major issue, and not just a "political" one as many like to describe it.

The corn that is used to produce ethanol is planted in lieu of other essential crops. This is causing shortages of things that we use every day for food consumption, such as wheat. Because there are government subsidies for corn (thanks to ethanol), farmers are no longer producing as much wheat. If you fail to see the problem there, it may be time for some lessons in economics. I am in the food production industry, and directly see the effects that this is having on consumers. Not a good idea.
I would capture, torture and kill baby unicorns then put them in my tank if it made my car faster.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts

The thing is, we're not in a shortage of wheat, either. They simply raise the prices because they can, and still, it's not like it's causing a known issue to 99% of consumers. Once they start making hot dog buns go over $2, then people might start to see the issue. Are we in a state of continually growing more corn in place of wheat? I'm not sure that's the case. I may need to look into it further, but as it sits it's not so bad.

Even if we were in somewhat of a shortage, maybe people wouldn't be so fat - and waste so much food, because here in the USA, it seems like all we do is waste food (bust still manage to eat too much).

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I guess ignorance truly IS bliss...
So do you do your part to find gas stations that only sell ethanol free gasoline every time you fill up one of your cars?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The thing is, we're not in a shortage of wheat, either. They simply raise the prices because they can, and still, it's not like it's causing a known issue to 99% of consumers. Once they start making hot dog buns go over $2, then people might start to see the issue. Are we in a state of continually growing more corn in place of wheat? I'm not sure that's the case. I may need to look into it further, but as it sits it's not so bad.

Even if we were in somewhat of a shortage, maybe people wouldn't be so fat - and waste so much food, because here in the USA, it seems like all we do is waste food (bust still manage to eat too much).
Shortage? No - that would be catastrophic. And they don't raise prices because they can, as wheat is a commodity, and is thus on the market. That said, the prices are rising in a very real way.

What is happening is that food prices are on the rise everywhere -- you may not see it yet, but you will. For now, manufacturers and purveyors are taking the brunt of it (myself included), but those increases are slowly trickling through the system, and they will continue to do so.

Here's a quick article that explains it pretty evenly:

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...rld-producing-enough-food/corns-domino-effect

Also, your comment on people being less fat is incredibly short sighted. If I can't produce products for the prices that the current national wages allow, people won't be able to afford staples such as bread anymore. That doesn't mean fat people -- that means everyone.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts