SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I'm not absolutely sure, but I think with the R's bolt arrangement its possible to put the gasket over the studs when its flipped over and upside down, but if that was the case the ports would be completely misaligned due to their location relative to the studs.
Just for info's sake, I just did an exhaust on an 07 C70 and with the different stagger of the end holes, the one piece gasket is impossible to put on wrong. I actually tried all 4 possible orientations to make sure I wasn't about to make a mistake. It can only go on one way if the end studs are in place.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Just for info's sake, I just did an exhaust on an 07 C70 and with the different stagger of the end holes, the one piece gasket is impossible to put on wrong. I actually tried all 4 possible orientations to make sure I wasn't about to make a mistake. It can only go on one way if the end studs are in place.
just for the info sake you are Wrong " it is possible to line One Piece gasket wrong way and the Five piece gasket wrong way " especially if you are not able to see and are sliding it in... sure , not for someone like you, me or tony ...but it is sooo obvious from the OP pictures by the exhaust gas discoloration it was put on the wrong way since OP slid it into its resting place from the top with the manifold on and he did not cut the end off which gave him the impression without seeing it that it is on right but it was all wrong...also that other exhaust manifold gasket in the pic is for NA 5 cylinders and should NOT be used on turbo models.

here is a pic for everyone to prove you Can put it on incorrectly...ALL exhaust cylinder holes line up with the exhaust manifold gasket perfectly to put it on the wrong way.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
But the studs don't. Not sure how you could bolt it all up with two studs missing and think you got it right. I mean, anyone who would leave two studs out of their manifold deserves the leaks they get. hehe.

Or wait... are those holes there on the R engine/manifold? *double checks photos* Ohhhh... There's two more studs on the compact T5 engine that the gasket is made for. So yeah I take it back. You're right.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
yeah i would not waste my time walking in my back yard at 6:30 Sunday morning where i have 4 heads and 3 block sitting around and lining up the gasket and take a pic just for anyone to show you Llyod...cause you are one of my favorites on SS. :partywave:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
just for the info sake you are Wrong " it is possible to line One Piece gasket wrong way and the Five piece gasket wrong way " especially if you are not able to see and are sliding it in... sure , not for someone like you, me or tony ...but it is sooo obvious from the OP pictures by the exhaust gas discoloration it was put on the wrong way since OP slid it into its resting place from the top with the manifold on and he did not cut the end off which gave him the impression without seeing it that it is on right but it was all wrong...also that other exhaust manifold gasket in the pic is for NA 5 cylinders and should NOT be used on turbo models.

here is a pic for everyone to prove you Can put it on incorrectly...ALL exhaust cylinder holes line up with the exhaust manifold gasket perfectly to put it on the wrong way.

The picture is exactly what happened, i installed it just like dougy showed and thought it was in place but it wasnt. Didnt have another one in hand so i used the NA gasket, if it blows up i'll know what to do now !

I did cut it at first, just wasnt putting the cut side next to water pipe but holes were still aligning so i tho it was on place.

Gonna order another metal one on standby, thanks for picture doug.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts