SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm a Newb here, and I really like what I've seen of the site, it's very well laid out and professional.<P>I have a few questions. I had read something about E-Code headlights for 850s. I had European headlamps on my Saab 9000T and they were fabulous. Are the European headlamps different for the 850s than the ones we Yanks get, and if so, is the lens pattern better? I'd be interested in investigating these, if they weren't going to require a second mortgage, or selling my first born to science. Besides, she'd probably not garner much from the science folks, with the mouth she's got on her, lol.<P>I apologize if this topic was previously beaten to death. I couldn't find anything directly related in my searches.<P>TIA!<P><BR>

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi All,<BR>I got E-code lights (last fall) for my 855R from Borton Volvo (http://www.borton.com/volvo.html-ssi);<BR>"internet customer price" of just under $500.<P>E-code lamps are superior to DOT stuff, cut-off beam works great in rain/fog; better H series bulbs and BONUS! now my car looks exactly like the Euro press photos...<BR>only drawback is loss of bubble level in lamp housing...E-code cars have a different system involving electric motors to aim lamps when load or terrain changes, cool but too $$ for me.<BR>Get E-codes, they are worth the dough.<P>Best,<BR>Adam<BR>'96 855R 116k<BR>'67 1800S SCCA racecar

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Interesting, so a domestic dealer could order the European spec part? Knowing that, I wonder how hard/expensive it'd be to order Ecodes for our Project 245?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, you are correct sir!<P>I ordered mine from Precision Auto, a small inde-mechanic in Mass (1-978-948-7778), talked to the owner, Tim who was a great help and very willing to ship the lights to me all the way in the GWN (Great White North). They were super to deal with... $100-125 per lens, but these are just lenses and so they retain the 9005/9006 bulbs and the leveling bubbles too. I ordered some Philips Blue Visions for them also from an outfit in the UK (some for my MPV as well).<P>I didn't try the folks at Borton, but have heard good things about them also. <P>My lenses arrived yesterday actually, and I'm waiting on the bulbs. I took "before" pix with my handy digicam last week. I found a dark, tree-lined back road and took some pix... snow on each side of the road. I'm anxious to see the difference the lenses make, then the bulbs added to them.<P>[edit:] George, I saw something last week about e-codes for 2-series Volvos. I'll look for it and post the info here. If you have the old 2 or 4 headlight Halogen sealed beams, you can upgrade to Hella H4 units that are as simple as installing a new headlight (10 minute job?) and I always thought the patterns on those were excellent. Plus, you can get some serious wattages (100/130w) in the bulbs, with proper relay packs of course. I'll check on the e-code for the later 2-series cars for you.<P>

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
George,<P>Here's the part number (p/n) for the e-code 2-series lamps... #300091 Headlamps Complete 240 e-code. This is from <A HREF="http://www.skypoint.com/~enevala/ecode.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.skypoint.com/~enevala/ecode.html</A> ,which is some guys website I stumbled across w/Google. He seems to be siting Swedish Auto Parts (http://www.swedishautoparts.net) but I get a "forbidden" when I go to the SAP site. FWIW, this guy was getting quotes of around $300 for a set, it looks like.<P>Best of luck, and I'll keep diggin!<P>

·
Registered
408 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:<BR><B>...Ecodes for our Project 245?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The headlights are the worst part about getting a 240 after 85. You definatly need to get e-codes if you want to see at night.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by javadoc:<BR><B>...I ordered some Philips Blue Visions...</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I replaced my the Hella bulbs with those and then I switched back. People think they are getting more light but it is just less at a higher temp.<P>

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx Colin, I'll check that out. I've heard both sides of that story. Actually, I looked at my e-receipt, and didn't get those. I got the Vision Plus instead. Maybe that's better.<P><P>

·
Registered
408 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by javadoc:<BR><B>Maybe that's better.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Don't know. But it seams the old halogen bulbs made by a repuatble company in Europe just seem to work better than ones that are marketed well to people ricing out thier car.<BR><P>

·
Registered
408 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by javadoc:<BR><B>Maybe that's better.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Don't know. But it seams the old halogen bulbs made by a repuatble company in Europe just seem to work better than ones that are marketed well to people ricing out thier car.<BR><P>

·
Registered
408 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VolvoAddict:<BR><B>I'm not sure I know what the e-code headlights look like.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>For the 850 I think the outward apperance looks the same. Just the reflector is different becasue it is designed for a different beam patteren.<P>

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
That part number above for the 240 headlights is not a Volvo p/n, as far as I can tell. I have all of the p/n's for the '86-'93 240 e-code lights, including the complete lights, the lenses, reflector, housings, seal, attachment, clips, bulb seal, and moulding. I also have the p/n for the complete turn signal assemblies, lenses, and moulding. I'll post them if anyone is interested, but you don't want to know the Volvo list price for something like this. Verrigni Volvo Marine in Florida sells the complete Cibie/Volvo OEM e-code headlights for around $900. [email protected] sells e-code lights for less than $400 after shipping to the US (not sure if they're OEM or aftermarket).<P>

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are correct. That's the p/n at the site I referenced in that particular response, Swedish Auto Parts. I hadn't dug up the volvo official p/n. I'm sure George would love it if you had the Volvo p/n!<P>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts