SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many thanks to the collective wisdom on this forum! Had been hearing noise for long time that i thought was a rear wheel bearing. But my shop (normally VERY good) kept telling me bearings were fine - must be tires. Alas, things started going south quickly with stability system warnings and then ABS failure warnings. Started behaving a bit squirrely on corners. Found the thread on this site that documented both of those with bad wheel bearings.

So tore into them today. Only to find out that I could not get the left rear rotor off - loose, but hung up on the e-brakes and would not come loose. Cable adjuster was plenty loose.

Solution! Line up lug bolt holes in wheel hub to rear near the e-brake actuator mechanism. Spray copiously with Kroil (have found it works better than PB). Let it soak through lunch and then put long thin punch through hole angling to the rear to reach actuator mechanism and gave some sharp raps with hammer. Then reached through with screwdriver slated to rear and pried up on the actuator which should help release it. It did - enough to get the rotor off. Actually was not significantly grooved - it was just that the cable and actuator levers are bound up and corroded. It was a great help to see the right side that I was able to remove so that I could see how to reach the actuator.

So now it looks like new shoes, springs, e-brake cable along with the new bearings. Actually, original bearings do not feel bad, but clearly are making noise at about 50-60 mph. I hope the new splash guards help to solve the early failure problem. Will have several days to soak the hubs while I wait for parts!

Does anyone have experience with front wheel bearings causing the same ABS and Stability control warnings? Just wondering if I need to tackle those next.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Scan it with VIDA and see what sensor is going bananas. Also check the front axle bolts if they're loose they could be allowing the axle, and ABS ring to slide out of alignment.

I'd also consider doing brake rotors (and pads)... The e-brake is something I try to avoid messing with as much as possible. While it is apart you might as well swap rotors. New wheel bearing bolts are required as well. And rear axle bolts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rotors are good - slotted frozen rotors with Hawk pads installed less than 15k ago. And yes, new bolts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finished installing rear wheel bearings and e-brakes. Just have to run the new brake cables.

The great write up and pictures made the job so much easier. But interesting - the original right wheel bearing seemed fine and had a 13mm head on the axle bolt. But the left side which was replaced once already was bad again, though not terrible. Bad enough to make noise and I got the ABS and Stability Control warnings. The interesting thing is that the axle bolt on that side had a 14mm head!? Did Volvo change the axle bolts?

To remove the rear bearings/hubs, I got an OTC 4579 9-Way Slide Hammer Puller Set. Set includes two different hub pullers that will work with either a bolt to pull front hubs off the axles or with the slide hammer to yank the rear hubs. 3-6 good wacks with the slide hammer and the hubs came right out straight and even. I strongly recommend this method over the whack with hammer and chisel approach.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts