SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I was at Sears the other day picking up a vacuum and I saw those nifty Dyson bladeless fans. They're super awesome as just a technology piece and conversation starter, but I was wondering if we couldn't see some of the same tech put into cars.

It would be cool to have those miniaturized and put in cars to replace the vents. That way each vent could be adjusted for both temp and speed. [Probably a pricey option, but cool, nonetheless]. This is definitely the most sensical application. But I'm not a sensical kind of person ;)

I was also wondering if this tech couldn't be applied to forced induction. Granted house fans aren't meant for high intensity environments like the engine, but if one were to make an "industrial grade" Dyson fan, it could theoretically be used as a supercharger of sorts, and because there are no fins/blades, it would provide a very smooth and turbulence free air charge. Also, because there are fewer moving parts involved, there wouldn't be as much heat transfer.

Just some thoughts.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Bladeless fan?

From: http://www.dyson.com/insidedyson/default.asp#Air_Mult_Tech_Dev

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Then came the problem of air intake – the motor had to suck in more than 20 litres of air per second to generate a powerful enough jet. A 3D impellor was required. Its nine asymmetrically-aligned fins have rows of tiny holes to reduce the friction caused by colliding high and low air pressure – birds of prey balance air pressure around their wings in a similar way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Reminds me of the "waving" AC vents on a Mazda - or was it Audi?

George Dill

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, bladeless compared to the traditional ones. Just wondering if his setup could work in other applications

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Notice that there is a fan according to Dyson's own web page. They call it a "3D impeller" but it is a fan by any other name.

There are all kinds of applications for the big part of their technology: accelerating air over a ramp. That's how airplanes fly...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts