SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
Before I start tuning etc...I wanted to get a baseline understanding of how the wookeey was performing...so today I did a Dyno run with my local performance shop to get that data...
Attached are the results for hp/torque and afr/boost
But basically:
266 peak torque
260 peak hp

I'm wide open to all thoughts and feedback as I need to understand if the car is performing 'mostly' as expected before we start tuning.

Some observations from the shop:
- car is running a little lean. Is this normal for our caRs?
- boost peaks at 14.5psi and the drops to 12 and holds
- torque is super early then falls on its face

Wookeey mostly survived...just a bit of coolant leak from somewhere that happened on the last run...but isn't leaking anymore...??

Looking forward to the discussion..

Videos to follow...

https://youtu.be/kJV2mKhUVjQ

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Current modifications list:
- IPD DP and exhaust
- DO88 IC
- IPD Boostability Kit

·
3,899 Posts
Just curious, how many miles and any performance mods?

Btw ~ Solid numbers! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Did you let off a little right before the the test started? No load AFR goes to infinity. Part load may spike as well if you get the injectors to shut off.

200lbft at 2000rpm isn’t bad for a Volvo... allegedly peak torque is supposed to happen at 2k... I’ve always been skeptical of that. 2.5k is where you start to go wheeeeeeeeee

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Did you let off a little right before the the test started? No load AFR goes to infinity. Part load may spike as well if you get the injectors to shut off.

200lbft at 2000rpm isn’t bad for a Volvo... allegedly peak torque is supposed to happen at 2k... I’ve always been skeptical of that. 2.5k is where you start to go wheeeeeeeeee
OEM power figures are obtained on engine dyno under very specific conditions in steady state.
Doing a sweep on chassis dyno gives totally different results and torque curve..

·
3,899 Posts
That give me hope I can hit 270, I have pretty much every you have everythings been refreshed (New filters, plugs, Oil, Injectors, Snabb Inlet, New K&N, Snabb TB & Mani spacer. I do have a IPD DP & TME exhaust though. New TCV holds boost perfect from 15.1-14.7 all day.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That give me hope I can hit 270, I have pretty much every you have everythings been refreshed (New filters, plugs, Oil, Injectors, Snabb Inlet, New K&N, Snabb TB & Mani spacer. I do have a IPD DP & TME exhaust though. New TCV holds boost perfect from 15.1-14.7 all day.
The boost curve is something I’m hoping someone can help with...the fact it peaks, drops, then holds doesn’t seem normal for our cars?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
3,899 Posts
Maybe the CBV is leaking, I have a forge and have never had a drop off although I do have a rebuilt turbo (About 30k ago).

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe the CBV is leaking, I have a forge and have never had a drop off although I do have a rebuilt turbo (About 30k ago).
I had wondered that...

I’ve done a near complete stage zero outside of replacing the TCV and it’s lines as they are visually in great shape...
I’ve heard not good stories about the IPD TCV, but I do have on in my inventory...
Better to just replace with stock me thinks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the cbv was leaking...I'd think that the boost would have been iratic vs consistent...

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
That's good for what you have and using a Mustang dyno. I would figure out the coolant loss that's not normal hope its not burning any. What did it do? After you figure that out have Contast tune it and go back and see what she does. Tune will be one of the best mods you can do he will dial it in perfect and will make a world of difference. If you are not tuned now with DP and exhaust that may be the culprit for the unsteady boost imo. I would check/replace all the vac lines and add forge cbv as well.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's good for what you have and using a Mustang dyno. I would figure out the coolant loss that's not normal hope its not burning any. What did it do? After you figure that out have Contast tune it and go back and see what she does. Tune will be one of the best mods you can do he will dial it in perfect and will make a world of difference. If you are not tuned now with DP and exhaust that may be the culprit for the unsteady boost imo. I would check/replace all the vac lines and add forge cbv as well.
Thanks for the thoughts.

The coolant loss was a half cup on the floor under the passenger side of the engine...no smoke at all from the car...
I'm going to go with Contrast just working out next steps and timing...

·
3,899 Posts
If the cbv was leaking...I'd think that the boost would have been iratic vs consistent...

I would think it would be a consisten loss, the initial spike would cause a puncture an then bleed off consistently from there (Again me just guessing).

·
3,899 Posts
If you are not tuned now with DP and exhaust that may be the culprit for the unsteady boost imo. I would check/replace all the vac lines and add forge cbv as well.
Would it though? I don't have a tune and have a completely free flowing setup, I can say I've replaced ALL the vac lines, Check valves, Forge CBV, Peirburg TCV and no flux what so ever. I wonder if the ECU itself has anything to do with it.

Full stop A->Z

K&N -> Snabb Inlet pipe ->Rebuilt Turbo (Forge CBV) -> D088 OTE -> D088 IC -> D088 Lower Intake pipe -> Snabb TB Spacer -> Snabb Mani spacer
-----Peirburg TCV-----

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Would it though? I don't have a tune and have a completely free flowing setup, I can say I've replaced ALL the vac lines, Check valves, Forge CBV, Peirburg TCV and no flux what so ever. I wonder if the ECU itself has anything to do with it.

Full stop A->Z

K&N -> Snabb Inlet pipe ->Rebuilt Turbo (Forge CBV) -> D088 OTE -> D088 IC -> D088 Lower Intake pipe -> Snabb TB Spacer -> Snabb Mani spacer
-----Peirburg TCV-----
Could be these cars can be super funny with changing stuff. One guy may have an issue one may not was just a thought on what was going on but he is tuning it anyway so we shall see what that does.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts.

The coolant loss was a half cup on the floor under the passenger side of the engine...no smoke at all from the car...
I'm going to go with Contrast just working out next steps and timing...

That's not good it had to come from somewhere. My first question was cap on all the way and was the system overfull? There is a coolant line that comes off t stat and goes to intake manifold and pcv around the block or hoses for other things on that side. I think you need to figure this out before it dumps it all and you burn the engine up. A car leaking coolant is never a good thing it came from your car need to find out why. Start with pressure test on cold and than warm if cant find anything.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's not good it had to come from somewhere. My first question was cap on all the way and was the system overfull? There is a coolant line that comes off t stat and goes to intake manifold and pcv around the block or hoses for other things on that side. I think you need to figure this out before it dumps it all and you burn the engine up. A car leaking coolant is never a good thing it came from your car need to find out why. Start with pressure test on cold and than warm if cant find anything.
Beauty.. And agreed... Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
I averaged 270 torque and 255 hp at the wheels on an AWD Mustang dyno. That's with stock airbox (with lid closed), Advanced, 63* F ambient, 3rd gear pulls, stage 1 ipd tune, 3" exhaust. I do have the B5244T5 engine though.

*edit* the technician who did my dyno pulls said my car was running a little lean at 12 AFR.. he said the Subarus and Evos that come in usually run around 8 AFR.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts